Anachronistic interest in mesh wick rta/rdta, anyone ?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/2/2022 1:36:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 501
  • Reviews 123
  • Kudos255
+1 details
Anachronistic interest in mesh wick rta/rdta, anyone ?
I’m a newcomer to mesh wick rta/rdta, and they seem to be seriously fallen out of fashion judging from new items coming out… or rather from clones coming out on FT and other major vendors.

I’m taking an interest in this type of gear for reasons too long to explain, and recently I’ve been playing with four one five’s S61 and the in’Ax carto, with a variable degree of success and satisfaction tbh.
I’m mostly curious to know if anyone has a shared and current interest in this type of gear, even though that train left the station a long time ago… and for tips on the models I could put my hands on.

Edited on 5/2/2022 at 1:37 PM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      5/3/2022 3:58:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 501
  • Reviews 123
  • Kudos255
And I ordered the bbgen clone also… but what I’m really after is a genesis rda rta or rdta.
But I guess no one is into this anymore from this forum.

Edited on 5/3/2022 at 3:59 AM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      5/3/2022 4:48:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RattyRat
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2015
  • Posts 331
  • Reviews 101
  • Kudos189
+2 details
Well my only experience with mesh wick is the 2 little mesh rods I made for my BF99 Cube RDTA, they work flawlessly.
While I was just surfing around I found tutorials how to make full mesh wick for this RDTA and honestly at some point i wanna try it.
I missed out a lot of things, mesh wick being one of em, and I really wanna experience it.

It's not the old old school genesis style vertical coil with mesh wick but it counts right?

Now I think about it I should maybe start with a vertical coil with mesh wick... It sounds easier to make and i have a Le Magister and also a Le Mirage clones lying around somewhere. I used vertical coils in those with cotton, guess i can try it with mesh

Also they not manufacturing that much genesis style atomizers anymore because it's a really niche way of vaping... I heard most people just moved away from it because hard to work out the hot spots which can come back any time... and with cotton you have less problems, easier to work with and super cheap. If I understand correctly mesh wick is popular among NET vapers still.

Edited on 5/3/2022 at 4:59 AM
#4 (permalink)      5/3/2022 6:32:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 501
  • Reviews 123
  • Kudos255
RattyRat wrote:

Thanks for that feedback.
I have not tried horizontal coils w/. mesh wick although I’ve seen a few tutos so I know it’s feasible… but it does look pretty fiddly. And of course it does count ! I guess I should try some day.
Vertical is pretty easy I found… but I don’t wrap a 32AWG around the wick like a pro (I tried and had initial success aka beginner’s luck, but lots of frustration since then): now I wrap a 27 or 26 around a rod, build it tight and then insert the wick. Works just fine… most of the time.
Would make sense NET vapers would still do genny, as would anyone using juice with home made natural plant extract.

#5 (permalink)      5/3/2022 6:43:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 501
  • Reviews 123
  • Kudos255

SKU 9679226

Was looking at this one for a possible genesis build.
#6 (permalink)      5/3/2022 9:12:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 12064
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos32085
Look round the discount vape sites and they pop up occasionally, I picked up an Aga-T-5 about 18 months ago for £5. Not done anything with it yet and I haven’t touched my Aga T-2 in a while even though it’s on top of a box of attys I was going to revisit. The last time I used it I wicked it with cotton though.

Edited on 5/3/2022 at 9:13 AM
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
#7 (permalink)      5/3/2022 11:15:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 501
  • Reviews 123
  • Kudos255
Thanks for the tip Andy
#8 (permalink)      5/3/2022 2:51:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SambaBugatti
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 443
  • Reviews 61
  • Kudos329
I still use the Vaponaute Zephyre from Time to Time, because the Taste is really great. But the Difference in Taste between Mesh and Cotton RTA's isn't as big as it was a few Years ago. And I would never ever use a NET in a Meshwick. It is really fiddly buiding with Mesh and if You vape NET's You have to change Your Coil much more often and I'm too lazy and happy when a Meshwick works and I always hope it works for a long Time so the work will not be for Nothing.
#9 (permalink)      5/3/2022 11:49:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 501
  • Reviews 123
  • Kudos255
Good point Samba, the zephyr looks nice.
As for using mesh build for NET or comparable home brewed juice, I find it pretty easy to pull out and torch the wick, dry burn the coil and put it all back together on the spot. I suppose it’s because I use bigger gauge wire and also it can be done with only some decks like the S61. Not sure it would work with the zephyr
#10 (permalink)      5/5/2022 4:11:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RattyRat
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2015
  • Posts 331
  • Reviews 101
  • Kudos189
+1 details
ha-ha, just found this while i was searching for center post fill RDTAs :D
I leave it here:
Triple coil genesis style rdta
SKU 6274100

If somebody wana work out hot-spots on 3 mesh rods

Edited on 5/5/2022 at 4:13 AM
#11 (permalink)      5/5/2022 4:51:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gigirat67
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 501
  • Reviews 123
  • Kudos255
Yep saw this one and immediately thought
- what ??! 3 coils and tiny juice capacity is dumb!
Then
- hmmm… could be modified for 1 coil with plugs and fillers

And then went to see the reviews and decided
- not even gonna try.