Series mech mod
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      1/6/2022 12:45:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4855
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3044
comedy gold.
What does he mean when he says words?
#32 (permalink)      1/6/2022 1:28:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Troepfler
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1929
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos976
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

comedy gold.

And again: stopp mobbing the members of this forum.
If you know a better solution to the thread headline, tell us.
You tried to derail this thread with post #11, and now you try again.

#33 (permalink)      1/6/2022 1:33:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blackhack
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 687
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos537
I'm not trying to start "Coil wars" here guys, I'm just a novice at series mods, never owned one in the past and only bought it as the price had dropped from 150ish to 30 pounds in a sale.
I've got a choice of using either a pair of Molicel P42a's or Samsung 30t's, either of which should be suitable as far as amp draw goes.
Thanks for the advice on coils, I'll make some coils up this afternoon and start around the one ohm mark and see where we go from there.
Insert smart and witty comment here.....
#34 (permalink)      1/6/2022 4:25:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4855
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3044
Troepfler wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:
comedy gold.

And again: stopp mobbing the members of this forum.
If you know a better solution to the thread headline, tell us.
You tried to derail this thread with post #11, and now you try again.

Already gave the only correct answer in the first response. Pay attention!

What does he mean when he says words?
#35 (permalink)      1/6/2022 7:46:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 912
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos863
blackhack wrote:

I'm not trying to start "Coil wars" here guys, I'm just a novice at series mods, never owned one in the past and only bought it as the price had dropped from 150ish to 30 pounds in a sale.
I've got a choice of using either a pair of Molicel P42a's or Samsung 30t's, either of which should be suitable as far as amp draw goes.
Thanks for the advice on coils, I'll make some coils up this afternoon and start around the one ohm mark and see where we go from there.

Just one thing, and I don't want to be insulting here - make sure that the 1 ohm coil you start with isn't a build suitable for MTL vaping. I still think you would have an easier start using a dual coil RDA/RDTA but you can make an RTA work if that is what you want to use on the mod.

Try something like a 7 or 8 wrap 24 gauge 3mm i.d. KA1 Clapton (if 8 wraps is too high in resistance remove a wrap), if you try using thinner wires like 26 gauge for a single coil it may be too small for the power you will be putting through it (dual 26 gauge coils would work well in a series mech - but each coil would have to be twice the size and resistance of a 1 ohm single so you would be putting the same amount of power through a pair of larger coils)

Whatever you do don't buy 1 ohm microcoils suitable for MTL vaping, because putting 8 Volts through them is WAY more than they are designed to take. A single coil suitable for 8 Volts needs to be quite large - tiny microcoils just won't do the trick as they will overheat and burn through the cotton.

Good luck.

#36 (permalink)      1/6/2022 7:52:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blackhack
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 687
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos537
Cheers Crispy....Got a 0.5 clapton in a dripper and seems to be working well, The only problem now is that all of my drippers are just a bit small for the coil in that there's not much room for the cotton.
Looks like I'll be looking for a more suitable dripper or tank in the near future if I want to use this on a regular basis.
#37 (permalink)      1/6/2022 8:16:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blackhack
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 687
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos537
Any suggestions on a possibly 30 mm dripper or tank suitable ??
#38 (permalink)      1/6/2022 8:20:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 912
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos863
blackhack wrote:

Cheers Crispy....Got a 0.5 clapton in a dripper and seems to be working well, The only problem now is that all of my drippers are just a bit small for the coil in that there's not much room for the cotton.
Looks like I'll be looking for a more suitable dripper or tank in the near future if I want to use this on a regular basis.

Actually, regarding Troepfler's last post where he mentioned 2 X 0.40 ohm coils = 0.80 ohms - he was referring to building on a series DECK, which is a very good suggestion if you can find onewill effectively double the resistance of two coils - instead of a standard dual coil build deck which uses the coils in parallel and halves the resistance of each coil.

If you can find a dual coil RDAS with a series build deck that will make it really easy to find pre-made coils that will be suitable.

If you already own a dual coil RDA with a standard parallel build deck you could try a pair of multi-wrap single core claptons, but you will have a tough time making a pair of 2 ohm coils that will actually fit. A pair of 10 wrap Ni80 26ga 3mm i.d. will have a resistance of close to 0.80. I know this will provide more power than you want to start out with, but this will be shared between two large coils so it will not be hot and overpowering - in fact I would be very surprised if you didn't decide it isn't quite enough and remove a wrap or two to make it a little more lively. It is worth a try if you have a 24mm or larger RDA/RDTA available - and a cheap spool of regular Vandy Vape 26/35 Ni80 Clapton will do the trick.

Good luck

#39 (permalink)      1/6/2022 9:00:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Troepfler
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1929
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos976
blackhack wrote:

Yes, a 0.5 Ohm single coil in a series mech mod works well:
I = 8 Volts / 0.5 Ohms = 16 Amps
Watts = 16 Amps x 8 Volts = 128 Watts

#40 (permalink)      1/6/2022 9:16:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
macranife
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2016
  • Posts 2402
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos8899
+1 details
blackhack wrote:

Any suggestions on a possibly 30 mm dripper or tank suitable ??

Aromamizer V2 plus

yi can break it down tae just a dripper if that's yir thing

and there are a choice o decks fir it,single/Dual/Mesh

shop around, av seen the same (advanced) version fir £35

#41 (permalink)      1/6/2022 11:01:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 6197
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4463
Warhead 30mm RDA
Twisted Messes - TM30 RDA
Temple 30 MM

There is a pretty good selection out there, it just depends on what you want. Some of the 30MM's don't seem like they would be great in series, but I really don't vape series.

As far as what coil you should use, it sounds like you got a ton of advice. The only thing that really worked for me with mech's and series was trial and error. Sure you can start off like a .4 or .5 in everything if you want. For myself it always came down to building for the RDA, the more airflow you get really changes how the power effects everything. You know ohms law, you will be fine it is allot of trial and error. Just experiment and have fun with it, safety first, but after that your good.

Did you get a Saga clone? How is it?