Fiber Freaks hardcore fans!
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      10/17/2021 6:40:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3905
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2403
+1 details
MitchL wrote:

Do I need to post a definition of vapor lock in a rta for Carrion4worms? It is when the vacuum in the tank exceeds the ability to wick juice through the substrate.

Why would you need to? what's the relevance? When it happens, remove some cotton, simple.

EDIT: I suppose if the tank is full, just crack the top to allow wicking, until the tank is able to be corrected.

The pains of Billet wicking arent like rtas, which was what I was discussing. Cute comment, but out of place in this context. No one doubts my abilities as a highly advanced vaper, I just tell the truth that others won't, because of "pride" I guess....or some silly reason.

Everybody who uses rtas has had dry hits or leaks. Everybody. People exaggerate, thinking no one will notice. WRONG.

Edited on 10/17/2021 at 6:57 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#22 (permalink)      10/17/2021 7:02:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
philipvdb
  • JoinedJun 2016
  • Posts 2656
  • Reviews 35
  • Kudos4329
Personaly i've been using walgreens organic cotton for ages. Not really a fan of rayon and use it rarely for rdtas. But than again, i make my ejuice like a barbarian so my standards arent that high. I wonder if i would taste a difference between all thise different brands of cotton.
We can't agree on everything.
#23 (permalink)      10/17/2021 7:08:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3905
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2403
philipvdb wrote:

Personaly i've been using walgreens organic cotton for ages. Not really a fan of rayon and use it rarely for rdtas. But than again, i make my ejuice like a barbarian so my standards arent that high. I wonder if i would taste a difference between all thise different brands of cotton.

Nope, I agree. Most would not, and in fact, many different brands are all from the same factories. If people like a certain brand, that's fine, but 95% of it is loyalty and placebo, with 5% being the actual "difference" in taste or absorption rate.

If it's cotton, and it's clean, it's good for wicking.

Edited on 10/17/2021 at 7:16 AM. Reason:
#24 (permalink)      10/17/2021 7:12:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
xandwhyisY
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 588
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos514
I'm not sure where you are located, but there is a product called Fiber n' Cotton that was developed by one of the people behind Fiber Freaks. I have never used it, but it seems to be similar to the cotton blend version of FF.

I like FF for RDTAs, but I use cotton on pretty much everything else. I don't notice the break-in period most people speak of, I often wonder if it's style of wicking issue. It may also be doing it wrong, so who knows (?)
#25 (permalink)      10/17/2021 7:14:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
philipvdb
  • JoinedJun 2016
  • Posts 2656
  • Reviews 35
  • Kudos4329
+1 details
@C4W, you're aware that Armageddon... stops 1st December? Good prices....

Edited on 10/17/2021 at 7:14 AM. Reason:
We can't agree on everything.
#26 (permalink)      10/17/2021 7:14:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3905
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2403
+1 details
xandwhyisY wrote:

I'm not sure where you are located, but there is a product called Fiber n' Cotton that was developed by one of the people behind Fiber Freaks. I have never used it, but it seems to be similar to the cotton blend version of FF.

I like FF for RDTAs, but I use cotton on pretty much everything else. I don't notice the break-in period most people speak of, I often wonder if it's style of wicking issue. It may also be doing it wrong, so who knows (?)

The reason some notice an initial flavor or "taste" is often due to contamination from fingers, honestly.

#27 (permalink)      10/17/2021 8:16:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
xandwhyisY
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 588
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos514
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

The reason some notice an initial flavor or "taste" is often due to contamination from fingers, honestly.

Yeah, I smooth out the cotton once wicked and wet. I do this to prevent some of the looser fibers from drying out. I'm sure some people still take a lighter to their wick/coil to burn them away, but I've always found a light touch gets the same results.

I also notice YT reviewers have a tendency to allow their wick to sit along the airflow of some devices. Normally that is fine, but if the wick doesn't fully saturate you could end up with some cotton fibers in your mouth. I only mention this because many people probably learn wicking from YT, then trial and error.

All or none of these things might help reduce the "break-in" taste. I also may just be less sensitive to it too.

#28 (permalink)      10/17/2021 12:50:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dub09
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 1734
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos545
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

philipvdb wrote:Personaly i've been using walgreens organic cotton for ages. Not really a fan of rayon and use it rarely for rdtas. But than again, i make my ejuice like a barbarian so my standards arent that high. I wonder if i would taste a difference between all thise different brands of cotton.Nope, I agree. Most would not, and in fact, many different brands are all from the same factories. If people like a certain brand, that's fine, but 95% of it is loyalty and placebo, with 5% being the actual "difference" in taste or absorption rate.If it's cotton, and it's clean, it's good for wicking.

I can't say I'm an "Expert in Vaping", although I can pretty much say that even the same cotton or same rayon will taste different depending on how you roll and fluff them. I tried many times experimenting on different available cottons here in the desert boondocks. Fluffed cotton, then twisted, then folded in half and twisted again tastes like shit compared to just plain fluffed cotton. I'm not saying Fiber Freaks is the holy grail of wicks, but it wicks good no matter how you stuff it into a coil in an RDA even to a point where you're basically plugging the holes in the coil.

On the matter of juice flavor intensity with regards to wicking method/wick material, I don't have much to say as I only build and re-wick to my utmost pleasure. I don't have many choices of e-juices here in my place as vaping here is shunned upon by bureaucrats.

Edited on 10/17/2021 at 12:54 PM. Reason:
Smoking is Dead, Vaping is the Future, and the Future is Now... So I will ask a percentage of your sales for each device review I do.
#29 (permalink)      10/17/2021 6:26:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3905
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2403
+1 details
SKU 9698457

For less than 1.00 per "Cotton Bacon" style bag, this 5 pack is clean and fluffy enough to wick for days and days. It's good enough for me, though I also have a Cotton clouds dispensing box, which has thinner, looser cotton, good for small coils. Muji is also great for Billet bridges, atc.

Edited on 10/17/2021 at 6:27 PM. Reason:
#30 (permalink)      10/18/2021 9:07:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Starquake
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 158
  • Reviews 7
  • Kudos88
+1 details
I've just received 2 packs of SKU 9647520
And won't be buying anymore as the packs now contain about a third of the cotton I received in previous orders.
When I ordered the same item before, I could cut a length of cotton from the pack and wick 3 x 3mm coils but now the cotton is barely thick enough to wick a single 3mm coil
Looking at the previous packaging I doubt the authenticity of the product I received today as the older ones had a scratch and sniff code and these new ones do not
Sooo that'll probably be my last order from fasttech :(
#31 (permalink)      10/20/2021 11:36:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lazyfitter
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 3969
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos7892
Just started using Rayon. Don't find any difference in taste but definitely find that it lasts a bit longer than muji pad cotton, especially when using very sweet juice (Lost art liquids Slotter Pop).
Can anyone please tell me the correct product number on the large box of Graham cellucotton that is suitable for vaping. I think it was 44060....is that correct?