shopping cart empty
Is there any usb charger here that will reliably give 1A, no more no less?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      5/1/2021 10:20:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2579
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1053
LOL, I still have several cheapest and crappiest adapters, one of them rated 0.5A but even fails to provide more than 0.3A!
The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#12 (permalink)      5/2/2021 2:25:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
srolesen
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 20
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5
Skeeeets wrote:

That's not how electricity works at all. Such requirements are generic for lab power sources only.
The way you figured out to not stress your mod will definitely stress your low-capability power adapter, which is near equally unsafe.

I disagree, it is not how Ohm's law works, but almost nothing is Ohmic anymore. Every single LED and chip controller works exactly like that and it is absolutely possible to do very cheaply and it's nothing like requiring anything like a lab supply.

Most people are attracted to top spec's and that's fine, but the reason I'm here asking question is to get a good spec charger in terms of power management, not in terms of power output. Doesn't have to be gold plated or anything.

SKU 1254101 overheats instead of managing powerdraw, the opposite of what I am looking for

#13 (permalink)      5/2/2021 8:40:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
quarks
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 6002
  • Reviews 40
  • Kudos9090
Maybe what you need really is a lab supply. One with both voltage and current limit control knobs. You can set the output voltage and current limit independently. All you need is to tease out the power wires from a usb cable and connect it.
#14 (permalink)      5/2/2021 9:16:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
srolesen
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 20
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5

Maybe what you need really is a lab supply. One with both voltage and current limit control knobs. You can set the output voltage and current limit independently. All you need is to tease out the power wires from a usb cable and connect it.

Lol that's so overkill for what's basically a LED driver set to max at 1A-5V with a USB plug attached to it, but yeah it's 0.1$ more expensive to manufacture than the thermally "throttling" ones.

#15 (permalink)      5/3/2021 3:20:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2579
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1053
That cancelling of Georg Ohm Mani Padme Hum gibs me a good laugh. But, yeah, limiter's very simple

...and they are found virtually everywhere, including... your existing power adapter.

srolesen wrote:

thermally "throttling"

There is no such thing too, its a "breaker".

The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#16 (permalink)      5/3/2021 7:23:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
srolesen
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 20
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5
The cheap version is found everywhere, the number of problems it has is which is why I'm posting here in the first place.
I'm not looking for hot running and imprecise diagram or similar opinions about them, those are readily available in millions of reviews.
#17 (permalink)      5/3/2021 8:51:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7591
  • Reviews 325
  • Kudos4454
srolesen wrote:

The cheap version is found everywhere, the number of problems it has is which is why I'm posting here in the first place.
I'm not looking for hot running and imprecise diagram or similar opinions about them, those are readily available in millions of reviews.

You looking for a wall charger that puts out 1 amp consistently, right?

Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#18 (permalink)      5/3/2021 10:04:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2579
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1053
vapeluvr wrote:

You looking for a wall charger that puts out 1 amp consistently, right?

Also must be made in China but not heating up when pushed to the limit. Also must cost below $2 including S&H.
Business as usual, kek.

#19 (permalink)      5/4/2021 1:25:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5703
  • Reviews 77
  • Kudos3668
So many of these just look sketchy!
Not a clue on the quality.
Edit:
Search "wall chargers" Class 2 isn't getting you anywhere around here.

Edited on 5/4/2021 at 1:28 AM. Reason:
Always keep your ear to the ground!