shopping cart empty
The Futon Ohm TAB by Dovpo/BP Mods
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/3/2021 2:13:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+2 details
The Futon Ohm TAB by Dovpo/BP Mods
Been seeing this pop up over the last fortnight. First time we've seen a little 510 build station appear in the mainstream for quite some time.

For those who coil on their mods instead, well bully for you, but I still use one to this day (a TAB Pro from Geekvape btw).

However, I can't help but think Dovpo have, as others before them, missed the boat with The Futon. One of the biggest criticisms back in the day when there was a rush of these devices, was that with the rise in larger complex coils being used, single 18650 build stations often just didn't have sufficient 'oomph'. This lead to a few small bespoke kit makers to market made-to-order expensive DNA-based dual battery stations for those who had the cash to flash.

Undoubtedly, these things will sell to those whose old build stations and TABS are starting to show signs of wear and tear, but to those who require the extra power of two batteries, you're still left 'flapping in the wind'.

I wonder if FT will sell these..?

#2 (permalink)      3/3/2021 3:56:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 2417
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3763
+1 details
It will turn up here eventually as it's manufactured in China and Dovpo/BP Mods are marketing it quite aggressively.

But it seems that overseas vendors are the first ones to get it.
It appears to already be in stock in some European online shops and the pricing is around $45
😲

In comparison, the three other tabs that are still available here are:

$16.58 (SKU 7615000), Coil Master 521 Mini V2 Tab

$14.02 (SKU 6332500), PilotVape Coil Magician Mini Tab (black)

$13.84 (SKU 6332501), PilotVape Coil Magician Mini Tab (yellow)

Which means that you get 3 of the PilotVape ones for the price of one Futon Ohm Tab.

For the price difference you basically get an aluminium casing and a power mode (watts) function with the Futon Ohm Tab.
Is it worth it (≈$30)?

Coil Master 521 Mini V2 Tab

PilotVape Coil Magician Mini Tab

Edited on 3/3/2021 at 4:17 AM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      3/3/2021 4:16:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+1 details
Yes, you're right. There are still stocks of the older TABs out there, and considerably cheaper than this new one too, though price discounting will inevitably even things out.

Which is why I'm slightly puzzled that they've produced something which mirrors the 'limitations' of the previous generation of build TABs (single battery) without actually offering anything substantially new.

desuede wrote:

But it seems that overseas vendors are the first ones to get it.It appears to already be in stock in some European online shops...

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but since last year (whilst acknowledging the COVID effect), an increasing number of Chinese companies are only sending kit out to YouTube 'Reviewers' AFTER it's already gone to Distributors and Retailers. It's almost as if they're trying to mitigate the effects of a poor online opinion by getting stuff into the shops first!

#4 (permalink)      3/3/2021 6:28:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Technomania
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 191
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos170
Seems quite nice and useful to me. I have a few different types, including the Coil Master 521 Mini V2 Tab, and it would be nice to have the ability to adjust wattage, instead of whatever voltage the battery happens to be at while attempting to work hot-spots out. From watching Todd, the aluminum case looks to be extremely well done and anodized (little wonder given Dovpo's previous experience with their alum. devices).

When the right sale comes along, I'll more than likely pick one up...
"We've taken care of everything, The words you read, The songs you sing, The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes"....(Priests of Syrinx, 2112 AD)
#5 (permalink)      3/3/2021 7:01:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
Technomania wrote:

...and it would be nice to have the ability to adjust wattage, instead of whatever voltage the battery happens to be at while attempting to work hot-spots out.

Could one not do the same on these? SKU 5679801 SKU 9711086

I still think by persisting with a single battery design, they're excluding a chunk of dual-coilers out there.

#6 (permalink)      3/3/2021 7:09:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Technomania
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 191
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos170

Could one not do the same on these? SKU 5679801 SKU 9711086

Sure, if they were still available.... I actually tried to get one of those when they were closed-out elsewhere for a great $$. Most of the others out there lack adjustable voltage / wattage though.

Edited on 3/3/2021 at 7:11 AM. Reason:
"We've taken care of everything, The words you read, The songs you sing, The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes"....(Priests of Syrinx, 2112 AD)
#7 (permalink)      3/3/2021 7:21:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
Technomania wrote:

Sure, if they were still available.... I actually tried to get one of those when they were closed-out elsewhere for a great $$. Most of the others out there lack adjustable voltage / wattage though.

Oh, I wasn't claiming they were still purchasable, just that adjustable watts isn't new or unique to this newly released TAB. Mind you (though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), I think the UD jobbies were the only ones to do it up to this point (excluding the bespoke build-to-order DNAs).

#8 (permalink)      3/3/2021 7:40:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Technomania
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 191
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos170
+1 details
I would need to get a sweet sale price on the Futon though, because I know that it would eventually get scratched / nicked / faded from use, and I'd regret paying too much for it. Good ol' plastic is great in that regard.. all of the older and well-used ones I have still look just fine.
#9 (permalink)      3/3/2021 7:44:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2317
  • Reviews 261
  • Kudos1196
The lack of features has always kept me away from these gadgets. Never owned one, when I build I want to know:

1.Ohm
2.working voltage...which gives me insight further insight into...
3.Watts Setting

and then the ability to test fire with these settings. This new one is a step in the right direction, with watts, but there are many cheap mods with a all in one screen with all relevant info, not to mention to ability to actually use it after the building portion is done.

nice looking gadget for those without extra mods lying about, I suppose...
Insert idiotic mantra here.
#10 (permalink)      3/3/2021 7:45:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+1 details
If you look at the text on the rear of the TAB, it actually states this is a 'Luxury Edition'. Maybe they have a lower cost good ol' plastic version planned at a later date?
#11 (permalink)      3/3/2021 7:59:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2317
  • Reviews 261
  • Kudos1196
More important to many users here is BP's "Bushido" squonk, soon to be released. It's a mech, so some may be put off by that...

Edited on 3/3/2021 at 9:16 AM. Reason:
Insert idiotic mantra here.