shopping cart empty
@Anniepan FT's Position On USA Shipping Ban
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      2/3/2021 9:59:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lazyfitter
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 3894
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos7765
+4 details
LovelyBerta wrote:

ah. Thanks analogueman. Good to know.
Some suppliers are asking for a HMRC VAT registration number now, so I was wondering...

I've just had to pay tax on an order from my uncle ali...first time ever and only on one order out of three! Bastards! 😆

#32 (permalink)      2/3/2021 10:13:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LovelyBerta
  • JoinedMar 2020
  • Posts 382
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1243
+2 details
I feel with you, Lazy.
I hope that you didn't have to pay their handling fees in addition to the tax.
#33 (permalink)      2/3/2021 1:07:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lazyfitter
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 3894
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos7765
+3 details
Don't think so...it just said "tax" but was around £1.60 on a £9.00 order! 😱
#34 (permalink)      2/3/2021 1:27:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Marthaz
  • JoinedNov 2015
  • Posts 227
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos298
+2 details
Hello LovelyBerta,

I received a package on 6th Jan which had unusually been opened. It just had a notice stuck on it saying the contents didn't match the description.

Sorry to hear you had to pay tax Lazy, £1.60 on £9 is a high percentage, bummer!

I have another package that seems to be in Belarus at the moment, I hope it will be ok, I'll let you know what happens.
#35 (permalink)      2/3/2021 2:37:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
inatrance1973
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 102
  • Reviews 93
  • Kudos47
+3 details
I was wondering about stuff to UK too. I had read that every company would have to register for a UK VAT number, and if the package didn't have their VAT number on the package and the invoice showing the VAT had been paid, the packages wouldn't get through. It's all on the UK government website. But I've had one package that arrived mid January that got through without a problem. The below £15 thing has been scrapped too, so that's making me hold off on ordering from here
#36 (permalink)      2/3/2021 2:44:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LovelyBerta
  • JoinedMar 2020
  • Posts 382
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1243
+2 details
@Marthaz - Fingers crossed that the Custom officers are still overwhelmed and not yet in a routine to generate money for....anyway...

@inatrance1973 - yes, this is what I read as well. For some deliveries, they even apply a minimum fee of £13 or so which may be above the value of the package content.

Thanks to Pofuffle....
I really hesitate now ordering stuff from here...
*sad look*
#37 (permalink)      2/3/2021 2:51:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
inatrance1973
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 102
  • Reviews 93
  • Kudos47
+2 details
The UK government want to stop overseas sellers having an advantage over UK companies and want the VAT paid at the point of sale. I would rather pay the VAT, most of the coils I buy from here would still be cheaper. And if it has the vat paid thing on the parcel it just sails through customs. It's all on the UK government website. Thanks LovelyBerta for mentioning this, if they add a standard £13 fee to every parcel under £139 that doesn't have VAT paid, it makes sense to just pay the VAT surely. Maybe I'm wrong though, I'm not any expert on this
#38 (permalink)      2/3/2021 3:04:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LovelyBerta
  • JoinedMar 2020
  • Posts 382
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1243
+2 details
^^^
only experience can tell...
so far I was lucky like you as I had two packages going through without problems in January.
#39 (permalink)      2/3/2021 4:00:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1634
+1 details
inatrance1973 wrote:

I would rather pay the VAT, most of the coils I buy from here would still be cheaper. And if it has the vat paid thing on the parcel it just sails through customs.

You do realise you've been able to do that for quite some years now? Many Fleabay and Amazon Marketplace vendors have offered the 'service' for yonks.

I think the fear for UK peeps, is that if the VAT hasn't been paid at source, their stuff will be returned to sender. In practice though, you'll simply pay the Royal Mail/appropriate courier in exactly the same way one has always done, as they have a legal obligation to do so.

#40 (permalink)      2/3/2021 4:53:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
inatrance1973
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 102
  • Reviews 93
  • Kudos47
+1 details
analogueman wrote:

inatrance1973 wrote:
I would rather pay the VAT, most of the coils I buy from here would still be cheaper. And if it has the vat paid thing on the parcel it just sails through customs.
You do realise you've been able to do that for quite some years now? Many Fleabay and Amazon Marketplace vendors have offered the 'service' for yonks.

I think the fear for UK peeps, is that if the VAT hasn't been paid at source, their stuff will be returned to sender. In practice though, you'll simply pay the Royal Mail/appropriate courier in exactly the same way one has always done, as they have a legal obligation to do so.

Aye, knew that fine, thanks

#41 (permalink)      2/3/2021 5:04:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7479
  • Reviews 316
  • Kudos4396
+2 details
What do UK import taxes/VAT have to do with the USA vape mail ban?
Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days