Looking for a BB setup
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/16/2021 5:03:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SirTimmyTimbit
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 813
  • Reviews 181
  • Kudos764
+2 details
Looking for a BB setup
I haven't gotten anything new in over a year.

I think it's time to get my first BB. I haven't been keeping up with vape stuff so I could use a few pointers.

I love my Dvarw and liked my KF Lite 2019 when it didn't leak. So I'd like to recreate that kind of flavor / vapor.

1. Do SXK BBs with DNA chips are not a thing anymore? I'd prefer to have a DNA chip than the SXK chip.

2. How are the plastic BBs compared to metal? I want something light so plastic has my attention. Too bad the clear frosted is OOS

3. According to carion4worm SKU 9734318 seems like THE atty to get. Anything else I should get?

4. I change my build often so the idea of performing a surgery to change builds has always put me off BBs. Seems like the Alien EVL should help with that. Is there a 510 adapter or something where I can dry burn my coils? Never mind I see the 510 adapter included with the atty.

Thanks!

Edited on 1/16/2021 at 6:20 AM. Reason:
Dark Theme for Fastttech: https://goo.gl/Y3uKbw ¦¦¦¦ Last updated: May 26, 2020.
#2 (permalink)      1/16/2021 6:25:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 8737
  • Reviews 224
  • Kudos31360
$0.50 rebate earned+5 details
SirTimmyTimbit wrote:

1. Do SXK BBs with DNA chips are not a thing anymore? I'd prefer to have a DNA chip than the SXK chip.

Apparently there's a shortage of DNA-60 boards, so a DNA BB is quite hard to find at the moment.

2. How are the plastic BBs compared to metal? I want something light so plastic has my attention. Too bad the clear frosted is OOS

Just from what I've read online (because I'd buy a plastic DNA-60 Billet Box, so I've been reading): The clear frosted was very poorly made, cracks easily, and can now be found cheaper (three efff). The other two plastic version appear to be sturdier.

3. According to carion4worm SKU 9734318 seems like THE atty to get. Anything else I should get?

I've tried several bridges (vape shell, haku, mission, insider) and none of them gave me a vape that was close enough to a Dvarw. But, mind you, I'm not a very patient person when it comes to builds: if it doesn't give me a great vape with my standard build, I may try a second one, but it's bound to end up in a box rather rapidly.

I'm now using the BB with Vaporesso coils in this SKU 9734698, and that's a truly great vape. But buying a new BB as a glorified pod, may be a bit excessive. I just bought that tank to prevent the BB from collecting dust.

4. I change my build often so the idea of performing a surgery to change builds has always put me off BBs. Seems like the Alien EVL should help with that. Is there a 510 adapter or something where I can dry burn my coils?

Most bridges come with a 510 adapter, the Alien EVL for sure does.

Overall: The billet box is one of those things I really wanted to like. And now that I found a boro tank that suits me, albeit annoyingly with pre-made coils, I'm genuinely enjoying it. It's a joy to hold, it's solid, and looks damn fine. But mine's almost two years old, and until recently, I've maybe used it ten times with the several bridges I tried, and never found a vape I enjoyed as much as a Dvarw. So, you may be in for a bit of a rabbit hole of trying to find the boro tank that suits you. On the bright side: it looks really nice on a shelf, too :)

#3 (permalink)      1/16/2021 10:16:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
$0.50 rebate earned+2 details
The VapeSnail bridge has been the best I've experienced.

Like everything vape it has it's quarks, just don't tighten everything too tight.

https://www.fasttech.com/forums/9724879/t/3072023/anniepan-510?3095815

I've been using a few little hacks, like a cut o-ring tucked in above the fill flap to help retain it. Another would be folding leftover cotton, paper towel... and placing it opposite of the air inlet as a condensation catch, works for a while anyway. Condensation is just going to build up no matter what you do especially if you're going restricted direct lung.

Edited on 1/16/2021 at 11:57 AM. Reason:
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#4 (permalink)      1/16/2021 11:30:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
steamer861
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 111
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos103
$0.50 rebate earned+1 details
The BB is small but fairly heavy! The DNA 60 version is a Given, you don't want a cheap chip :( IDK any thing about the Plastic one's? But I would stay away from them! The C&C alluminum case is one of the big features that makes the BB feel high Quality :) I'v had mine for a few years now & the Exocet was my #1 bridge for the longest time! Recently the Xeta has caught my attention, it's easier to build but it reduses capacity & IMO performance is about the same as the original Exocet! IMO there was a reason the Authentic Exocet was imposable to get!
I have an Authentic BB also, & if you don't open them both, Clone & Authentic the difference is not noticeable!
Once you open them you can see a much higher quality construction! The wiring is way better (quality & routing) & the care taken to assembly is Way Better in the Authentic!

The BB is a classy little mod that can perform very well with the right bridge & build ( SKU 7402300) (SKU 9640535) But the single 18650 is not the most conducive to running Claptons :(
#5 (permalink)      1/16/2021 11:43:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4713
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2843
$0.50 rebate earned+1 details
You just barely missed the last DNA60 SXK and YFTK offerings...I mean the YFTK "gold nugget" clone was just in stock yesterday! The SXK has been sold out for a week or so here, BUT, other vendors (less popular) still have some, maybe.

The smoked and translucent acrylic "BBVN custom" clones are excellent from my point of view. I am halfway through a DNA60 conversion on my Smoked SXK. Everything is 1 to 1, so a sevo to evolv change-over is simple in theory, but tedious and nerve-wracking in reality! The screen needs to be attached after the board is tucked in, making things tricky...but I'm learning...and if you are strictly wattage, the SEVO 70 isn't a bad chip, really. It's all about wicking, and not flooding your Box with juice. If you do that, they last a long while. Also, These acrylic boxes have more airflow, perfect for the Exocet 2, Alien, or VapeSnail (my 3 favorites in order now)

The older frosted sxk was more of a Beta for the ones now...it suffered from brittle plastic. These newer ones are very durable and even highly scratch resistant.
What does he mean when he says words?
#6 (permalink)      1/16/2021 1:42:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4713
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2843
+1 details
#7 (permalink)      1/16/2021 2:36:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SirTimmyTimbit
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 813
  • Reviews 181
  • Kudos764

airwinny wrote:

Apparently there's a shortage of DNA-60 boards, so a DNA BB is quite hard to find at the moment.

That's a shame. I would be down to transplant the chip if they fit, but it seems like it may not be worth it if I don't get a vape at least as good as the dvarw. I don't really want to use pre-made coils either :/

I guess I will wait, or see if the DOT AIO is any better. Thanks for the detailed reply buddy, good to see you're still around!

carrion4worm wrote:

You just barely missed the last DNA60 SXK and YFTK offerings...I mean the YFTK "gold nugget" clone was just in stock yesterday! The SXK has been sold out for a week or so here, BUT, other vendors (less popular) still have some, maybe.

The smoked and translucent acrylic "BBVN custom" clones are excellent from my point of view. I am halfway through a DNA60 conversion on my Smoked SXK. Everything is 1 to 1, so a sevo to evolv change-over is simple in theory, but tedious and nerve-wracking in reality! The screen needs to be attached after the board is tucked in, making things tricky...but I'm learning...and if you are strictly wattage, the SEVO 70 isn't a bad chip, really. It's all about wicking, and not flooding your Box with juice. If you do that, they last a long while. Also, These acrylic boxes have more airflow, perfect for the Exocet 2, Alien, or VapeSnail (my 3 favorites in order now)

The older frosted sxk was more of a Beta for the ones now...it suffered from brittle plastic. These newer ones are very durable and even highly scratch resistant.

Aw bummer! By gold nugget do you mean SKU 9648656 ?

Your post about the EVL is what got me excited about a BB again and prompted this post :D The other RBAs look cool but honestly I don't wanna go through all that trouble to re-wick / rebuild.

Thanks for all the info man! Super helpful. I think I'm gonna wait, or look into the DOT AIO.

Dark Theme for Fastttech: https://goo.gl/Y3uKbw ¦¦¦¦ Last updated: May 26, 2020.
#8 (permalink)      1/16/2021 5:12:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4713
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2843
SKU 9711827 is the "clone" version with all the same components, but this one uses an old-school rotary dial to adjust power, instead of clicking a button several times. Early accessories were cross-compatible, like the rba and tanks, but i'm not sure about buttons and panels- I honestly would recommend trying the cheaper version, as it has very low capacity, and the vape flavor is much less nuanced, due to such small size...maybe if you're a Nautilus guy, but the vape is very limited in power and airflow. Or you love DotMod.

If you only crave DL, the Billet is closer to that, especially with a Exocet V2. Amazing vape quality!
#9 (permalink)      1/16/2021 5:43:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
xandwhyisY
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 592
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos518
The DNA version is still available at a few Canadian vendors, I'm pretty certain I've seen a vaporist or gascity with the DNA. I haven't seen the plastic versions with a DNA though. By the time you'd pay US conversion, you really wouldn't be paying much more.