shopping cart empty
Who here is an ex smoker that completely quit because of vaping...
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:00:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6297
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos9237
+1 details
MarcF wrote:

Because of the article in the globe and mail that just came out Richy

Dont listen to groups and publications that are lead or influenced by other agendas.

Edited on 8/2/2020 at 8:01 AM. Reason:
#12 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:05:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 1133
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos554
+1 details
We, as full-time vapers, think it's a given, but my wife and her family struggle with the odd cigar or cigarette- many do. They are either not mentally ready, or maybe haven't found the right setup or juice. IDK, but I'm done with them.
Insert idiotic mantra here.
#13 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:11:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ppeeble
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 961
  • Reviews 354
  • Kudos919
+3 details
The article is BS and has an agenda. Anyone can twist statistics to suit their narrative - You either smoke or you don't - the real question is what percentage of people quit using alternative methods to vaping. The answer will be less than those who quit using vaping. The ones who don't stop smoking (regardless of method used) are irrelevant. It's like saying people who eat red M&Ms give up smoking 27% more than those who eat blue M&Ms. Meaningless bullshit.

I know a lot of people who dabbled in vaping whilst still smoking - they eventually went back to regular cigarettes. The remainder quit smoking for good and either still vape or do neither now. I used vaping to stop smoking years ago..
There is no way that vaping increases the likelihood of never giving up cigarettes - it's an alternative to smoking that will work for some and not for others.
More sense than money.....
#14 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:16:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 9794
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos15122
+4 details
MarcF wrote:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-when-will-canada-get-on-the-same-page-about-the-risks-of-vaping/

Sighs. Sorry to see that the G & M did such a piece but not surprised.

I was a heavy smoker for 30 years as was my partner, although I think a few more years for him.

We had a vague understanding of vape gear in 2014 but hadn't really given it much thought.
One evening, Feb 9th to be exact, I discovered a vape store that we would be near the next morning and decided ahead of time to go in.

We purchased gear and e-juice that day and my partner has never had another cigarette since.

I did pick up cigarette smoking about 3 months in for another 3 weeks but then went back to the vape. Maybe once a year I might take a cigarette from someone I am speaking with that still smokes if only because I am in awe each time how horrible they taste. Wondered why I ever picked it up.

Edited on 8/2/2020 at 8:20 AM. Reason:
Democracy dies in darkness. Two weeks before a presidential election, the Washington Post and its rigorous editors have turned off the lights.
#15 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:18:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 9794
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos15122
+3 details
Richy7 wrote:

MarcF wrote:

Because of the article in the globe and mail that just came out Richy

Dont listen to groups and publications that are lead or influenced by other agendas.

Its a outlet here in Canada that Canadians are familiar with.

Cant recall the MPs name but he was a conservative and the only politician in Canada to have fought for vapers rights.
I believe he has become an independent since?!

Oh thats right. Randy Hillier is his name.

I noticed something by him recently but he has taken up the anti mask agenda these days.

Democracy dies in darkness. Two weeks before a presidential election, the Washington Post and its rigorous editors have turned off the lights.
#16 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:31:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 25858
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20833
+3 details
Don't think because you have switched from anolog to vape that the years of anolog abuse to your lungs can no longer catch up to you... The underlying emphysema and or COPD can still progress to the point that vape can become no longer a viable option... Pretty sure every long term ex smoker has some amount of COPD... Too bad 99% of the science is faked to do the bidding of governments and particular business... Some actual fact based studies on these subjects would be interesting...
We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#17 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:48:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 1133
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos554
+4 details
Vapor is right, we may never know the truth, but after 5 years, I physically feel better,,,and that's enough for me. Also, cigarettes don't come in lemon cake or strawberry Macaroon!
Insert idiotic mantra here.
#18 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:48:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MarcF
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 950
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos1387
+4 details
Wow...and I thought I was going to have a quiet sunday afternoon....looks like no one went to the beach today. I never go on weekends.....too many people.

So, from what I read most of us here did switch abruptly from tobacco to vape. In response to Richy, I like reading all points of view on the subject, it's the way I was brought up, and when at university, when writing an essay on any given subject, the first theing teachers looked at was the bibliography that oyu based your research on. If you had under 15 to 20 sources, they would strongly advise you to read ten more, of each side of the coin. And we did.
All newspapers have an agenda. No exceptions. It's up to the reader to spot the agenda, but without dismissing the whole thing. Declaring things fake news, is at best infantile. Don't throw the baby with the bath water.

If there was nopress at all, let me tell you how bad things would get. You don't want to go there. I'm now living in a country that was under a dictatorship for almost 40 years. The sequels will take a 100 years to recede. Going to work in the morning, and speaking your mother tongue with another worker would get you executed in the afternoon, outside in Poble Nou so that the whole city could hear the machine guns killing them. That, for 40 years. In a country with no opposition press or political parties. Did it make the country richer ? No, just a handful, as the rest of Spain was the poorest country on the European continent. Dreadfully poor.

So, Iread everything....but I come here to discuss it with people actually involved in the subject of vaping and tobacco, because I trust you all a lot more than some random study somewhere.
To be clear, and this is very important, I had decided before trying vaping to quit tobacco, but I aslo like the act of blowing smoke through my mouth and nostrils. Vaping gave me that, and that a big plus for me. Helps me think. Connects me with my surroundings, like the rug in The Big Lebowsky, that ties his room together...😎
#19 (permalink)      8/2/2020 8:54:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MarcF
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 950
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos1387
+3 details
Vapor wrote:

Don't think because you have switched from anolog to vape that the years of anolog abuse to your lungs can no longer catch up to you... The underlying emphysema and or COPD can still progress to the point that vape can become no longer a viable option... Pretty sure every long term ex smoker has some amount of COPD... Too bad 99% of the science is faked to do the bidding of governments and particular business... Some actual fact based studies on these subjects would be interesting...

You bet.....lost 45% of my lung capacity, a beginning of emphysema, a touch of asthma, result of 45 years of smoking 30 cigarettes a day, non filter. Going up mountains, I couldn't reach 2500 meters when I smoked, Lack of oxygen made it impossible, I'm basically running on 2 cylinders. But now that I vape, I go up every summer at more than 3000 meters with no problems at all. So, switching ,in my case, made a huge difference.

#20 (permalink)      8/2/2020 9:12:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2053
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1752
+5 details
A couple of months shy of 45 years smoking for me, and about two packs a day for most of that, and haven't had a butt in years. But they're dancing with technicalities: they consider continued vaping to be "not quitting". It's not that vapers don't quit smoking, it's that they don't quit everything. Sure, patches, gum, pills and so forth might not be quite as effective at getting people off of combustible tobacco, but you don't often see people still using, say, the patch after five or ten years. Which, by their logic, means that e-cigs are less effective. Oh, and Randy Hillier? He's a dink - but his name was the default name on an email campaign a couple of years back, so he got email from all of the vapers who half-assed the petition and didn't select/enter their own MPP.
#21 (permalink)      8/2/2020 9:20:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MotoBlue
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 4729
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos4631
+9 details
I was a heavy smoker for 45 years. My doctor warned me that a pension scheme would not be a good investment for me. I first tried giving up smoking in the 70's with a green liquid that made smoking taste awful. I remember having to smoke with my face over the toilet bowl. Allergic to the adhesive in patches, the blisters would still be apparent 2 months later. Champix - successful until I was stood at the edge of a railway platform ready to throw myself under a train.
Ordered ecig stuff 8 years ago from my sick bed full of antibiotics with yet another serious chest infection. By the time my chest infection had cleared up I was a non-smoker!
Over a thousand squonk products available at Fasttech