The Odin Mini DNA-75C Mod by Dovpo
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      5/13/2020 7:33:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
+1 details
analogueman wrote:

I can't help thinking that way too many of these (so called) reviewers have missed a trick when it comes to the whole issue of putting their name to something they didn't actually design.

Instead of leaving themselves wide open to perfectly valid criticism, why on earth hasn't just one of these thick sods actually used their loaf, and instead simply endorsed a specific product, or a particular manufacturer for a set time? Sportsmen, actors, pop stars; many derive a healthy side income from endorsing kit and product. Yet none of them are claiming to have designed those trainers, blended that cheap aftershave or formulated those vitamin supplements. And because they're not making any false claims of involvement, it's seen as perfectly acceptable, even normal. A trick missed In my opinion.

Just my two cents...

1. They're not very smart.

2. They're not real celebrities.

Edited on 5/13/2020 at 7:34 PM. Reason:
#32 (permalink)      5/13/2020 7:43:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2847
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2295
+1 details
djvillan wrote:

1. They're not very smart.
2. They're not real celebrities.

Indeed, true on both counts.

However, by going down the simpler road of endorsements, they could have avoided the whole mess of false claims, while at the same time, satisfying their egos and making a few (legitimate) pounds/euros/dollars too.

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#33 (permalink)      5/13/2020 7:45:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
analogueman wrote:

Indeed, true on both counts.

However, by going down the simpler road of endorsements, they could have avoided the whole mess of false claims, while at the same time, satisfying their egos and making a few (legitimate) pounds/euros/dollars too.

Again, they're not very smart.

#34 (permalink)      5/13/2020 7:58:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2847
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2295
+1 details
djvillan wrote:

Again, they're not very smart.

Given that the whole 'minimal involvement' issue among Reviewer designed products is now pretty widely known about, other than questionable IQ, some of them must have an enormous set of brass balls to continue with the façade.

#35 (permalink)      5/13/2020 10:43:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5995
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4262
+1 details
"However, by going down the simpler road of endorsements, they could have avoided the whole mess of false claims, while at the same time, satisfying their egos and making a few (legitimate) pounds/euros/dollars too."

That is actually a really good idea. I for what ever reason had not thought of that.

"some of them must have an enormous set of brass balls to continue with the façade."

I really don't think people care about that like they once did. I know I care allot less about it.
#36 (permalink)      5/14/2020 1:10:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 82
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
+1 details
I feel the need to speak up here.
I am a reviewer (not YT thankfully) and I've had my hand in designing and assisting new products for a manufacturer. Not all of your comments are true, although I do agree with MANY of them.

1. I did not get my name, or my affiliate companies name on the product in case somewhere down the line the manufacturer missteps. I don't want my name tarnished
2. The manufacturer did not come to me with a design and asked to stick our name on it, instead I went to them with the idea, design and technical drawings. This process was a 4 month back and forth between me and their technical team to get the desired result.
3. Contracts in China mean nothing. You ask for a set amount to be paid to you before releasing your idea or you will get your fingers burned. Reviewers that want to get paid per unit sold usually find that no serial numbers are recorded on the device so there's no accurate tracking of quantity sold
4. Vaping with Vic is an idiot
5. Product endorsements are rife in the YT community. See a YT live stream and the reviewer is using the same mod over and over, or has a banner in the background, they are getting paid about 4000USD per month to have that banner and product in the shot
#37 (permalink)      5/14/2020 3:39:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Anniepan
Staff|M|
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 11489
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos5973
+2 details
Hello analogueman,

I have forwarded your request to our product department for processing. If the item is readily available, we will attempt to negotiate and list the suggested products between a few days to 2 weeks.

Thank you for your recommendation.
#38 (permalink)      5/14/2020 5:37:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2847
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2295
+1 details
amiable wrote:

5. Product endorsements are rife in the YT community. See a YT live stream and the reviewer is using the same mod over and over, or has a banner in the background, they are getting paid about 4000USD per month to have that banner and product in the shot

That's what's known as 'product placement', which is something entirely different, and not really what I was talking about. Any how, it was just a two cents opinion on the whole shady and misleading issue of design claims. Let's move on...

Anniepan wrote:

Hello analogueman,

I have forwarded your request to our product department for processing. If the item is readily available, we will attempt to negotiate and list the suggested products between a few days to 2 weeks.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Thank you Anniepan. :-)

#39 (permalink)      5/14/2020 8:57:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5995
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4262
amiable, two questions was it vape products? And did they pay you at all? I tried to work with a company and no contract no even mentions of money, so I got nervous about it and said no thanks. As you said four months it is allot of work to wonder if you will get paid at all.
#40 (permalink)      5/14/2020 9:26:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 82
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
+1 details
@EternalSpline
It was a vape company yes. I told them I have an idea and design for a product and gave them a rough idea, but no technical drawings. No contract, but instead I gave them an upfront design and r&D fee as well as an amount for the actual technical drawings. Once they paid the agreed amount, I released the designs and worked with them until final launch of the product. I'm glad I did it this way, because the manufacturer blew the marketing for it
#41 (permalink)      5/14/2020 9:29:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5995
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4262
Was it worth the four months financially? Also what product was it? I mean if you don't mind me asking.