[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
The Odin Mini DNA-75C Mod by Dovpo
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      5/13/2020 10:52:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2869
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2328
+1 details
amiable wrote:

Any idea on a release date? I am picking one up for sure

Some retailers are showing them for pre-order, so I guess the release is not too far off.

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#12 (permalink)      5/13/2020 11:06:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
+1 details
EternalSpline wrote:

So then just like the last one? Why wouldn't a non DNA be released?

Now you're catching on.

#13 (permalink)      5/13/2020 11:18:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 6001
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4292
I don't know if that is the cash grab you are looking for. Here is the thing, a non DNA is a budget friendly option. DOVOPO has boards, it is logical to a point.

I think the cash grabs are all the versions of the dead rabbit that are not any better then the first. Or the dead rabbit sub tank. There are cash grabs that happen, sure, totally.

The other thing to keep in mind though is that reviewers are a small part of it. They don't make the physical products and in more then a few occasions China has cut them out of the money loop. Vaping with twisted 420 had this happen on an RDA, Grimmgreen had this happen with the GrimmKit with hellvape, even I was trying to work with a company on the design of a product, but they wouldn't give me anything in writing. They kept asking for designs designs designs, and I kept asking contract, contract, contract... Point being the reviewers have little to no control over it sometimes too.

Do I believe every reviewer is some weird great person that does not want money, no not at all. I also don't think everyone of them is a greed machine that wants to push out dumb products and make themselves look bad in the process.

It's like everything there is some middle ground here.
#14 (permalink)      5/13/2020 11:59:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
You're completely missing my point. These reviewers aren't designing anything, they're merely doing one of two things. Slapping their name on a product or having an idea for a product. Very few actually design a product, ie CAD designs. Most companies already have a product designed by their team of designers otherwise what's the point in paying them if they can't design anything and have to look to YT reviewers who are not even qualified designers for a product?

I have no problem with them as long as they admit it rather than cover it up or deny it at first and later admit it and laugh it off as a joke or try to give some background story to cover themselves.

If they were smart they would calculate roughly how many of the items would be made and ask for the money upfront instead of risking not getting paid anything in the future. What do they get per piece? 50 cents to $1. How many are made? 1,000-10,000.

You're right about the Dead Rabbit variations. Most reviewers called him out on it. But now you have Mike Vapes doing exactly the same thing with the Intake tanks. Intake single, Intake Dual, Intake Sub Ohm tank and soon the Intake MTL tank and none of them are saying cash grab? Come on, MV was one of the first to jump on Heathen and call him out on the DR series cash grabs. Hypocrites.
#15 (permalink)      5/13/2020 12:11:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2869
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2328
I can't claim to know every so-called Reviewer on YT, but wasn't Vic 'drama' Mullen one of the only people (to date) to publicly admit his stuff is purely for the money/'business'?
#16 (permalink)      5/13/2020 12:12:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
After watching Mike Vapes presentation of the Signature Tips/Dovpo/MV Clutch mod I asked him what did he actually design on it? As he said himself the idea for the mod came from M Terk. The mod was designed by Signature Tips and made by Dovpo.

Of course he didn't give a response because he didn't design a thing on it and all he did was take M Terk's idea and approached ST with it. Shouldn't M Terk's name be on it and get paid for it instead of Mike Vapes?

#17 (permalink)      5/13/2020 12:17:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
+2 details
analogueman wrote:

I can't claim to know every so-called Reviewer on YT, but wasn't Vic 'drama' Mullen one of the only people (to date) to publicly admit his stuff is purely for the money/'business'?

Yeah and I'd still love to do this to him. :P

Edited on 5/13/2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason:
#18 (permalink)      5/13/2020 12:55:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2869
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2328
+2 details
djvillan wrote:

Yeah and I'd still love to do this to him. :P

LOL!!

Can't help thinking you'd be at the back of a very long queue.... 😄

#19 (permalink)      5/13/2020 1:23:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 2550
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos4152
+1 details
analogueman wrote:

Some retailers are showing them for pre-order, so I guess the release is not too far off.

A competitor retailer (3xΦ) has ETA set to June 17th (unconfirmed).

Edited on 5/13/2020 at 6:24 PM. Reason:
#20 (permalink)      5/13/2020 1:24:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 6001
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4292
"You're completely missing my point. These reviewers aren't designing anything, they're merely doing one of two things. Slapping their name on a product or having an idea for a product. Very few actually design a product, ie CAD designs. Most companies already have a product designed by their team of designers otherwise what's the point in paying them if they can't design anything and have to look to YT reviewers who are not even qualified designers for a product?"

I am not missing that point, we have had this discussion before on different reviewers and it is something I have made a point of mentioning.

So with a partnership it is OK that one of the partners is mostly in charge of marketing, and that is what a reviewer brings. I do not think they should claim to design anything they do not design. If they design the branding only, like I think Bogan said with a product, then say that. I wont look down on honesty and integrity ever.

So I am not missing that point at all. I know for a fact some of these guys, not all, maybe most have never designed anything, and some did not even have the idea they were approached with a product and said OK, slap my branding on it and send me money!

Some of them do design products though, or work with, meaning sit down with a more skilled designer to get the product they want made, made. A sit down could be even virtual collaboration or in person.

"If they were smart they would calculate roughly how many of the items would be made and ask for the money upfront instead of risking not getting paid anything in the future. What do they get per piece? 50 cents to $1. How many are made? 1,000-10,000"

So what if the company sells zero, how many deals would they give out to reviewers in the future? They are both hedging there bets with this. The company doesn't want to over pay them, the reviewer wants to be paid the full amount. What if the item takes off and does amazing? If they got cash up front they would not be entitled to more unless expressed in a contract. Even then though it is a different legal system so good luck. What are they supposed to do fly to China accuse them of stealing, and bring it to court? All of that could be stipulated in a contract the mediation of disagreements via a 3rd party and what not but enforcing anything across boarders would be difficult.
#21 (permalink)      5/13/2020 1:46:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 6001
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4292
"You're right about the Dead Rabbit variations. Most reviewers called him out on it. But now you have Mike Vapes doing exactly the same thing with the Intake tanks. Intake single, Intake Dual, Intake Sub Ohm tank and soon the Intake MTL tank and none of them are saying cash grab? Come on, MV was one of the first to jump on Heathen and call him out on the DR series cash grabs. Hypocrites."

I have paid so little attention to Mike Vapes and any product he is coming out with that I have a hard time speaking on this. From what little I know, I don't think he is any more of a designer then Heathen, but honestly I have no clue.

The only one I keep up with any more is Grimmgreen. That guy, if he isn't honest and forthcoming, he sure has me 100% fooled for years and years now. I mainly watch him for his industry news because most of it relates to America. He does a decent product review, but he is old school. He likes allot of stuff partially I think because he remembers when products were all awful. He will straight up review an old product again though, and when it fits, he will say this is as good as anything on my desk right now. Doesn't matter if it is 5 years old, he will give credit when it is due. I find that pretty honest. He is self deprecating on his lack of coil building skills. An if he didn't really care about vaping he wouldn't be covering topics that less people are interested in like news and advocacy in a whole show on Tuesdays. He honestly seems to care first about people quitting smoking, and that is what is important to me.