shopping cart empty
any battery people/experts around?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/27/2020 12:04:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kydo56
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 411
  • Reviews 166
  • Kudos137
any battery people/experts around?
thought i`d post in here as i`ve purchased vape gear from fasttech for some years and used the forums....

anyway, i`ve got a couple of Basen 26650 batteries (4500mAh 60A), had them in use/rotation for about a year give or take,
today i`ve just gone to use one of my mod/atty setups (i usually have a handfull on the go) which has one of these batteries in and there was no power to the mod which i thought strange as i always generally leave them turned on as they are usually only left a few days or so between use and even if the battery is drained theres still enough power to the mod to tell you battery needs changing.
i tried turning the mod on/off etc but still nothing, so then changed the battery and mod working again,
then i put the battery in the charger (Nitecore D2) and it stated 0.92v on the screen, then jumped up to around 1.5v....

so my questions are.....
what my have caused it?......is it a faulty or dying battery??
is there any potential danger?
should i try to charge/fully charge it and keep using it if it charges and stays charged?

i`ve got around a dozen batteries in use that`s accumalated over the past 3-4 years and never had this happen before.

thank you.

Edited on 1/27/2020 at 1:05 PM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      1/27/2020 2:46:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+3 details
kydo56 wrote:

should i try to charge/fully charge it and keep using it if it charges and stays charged?

Battery experts? Well that covers just about every Vaper in the world - or so they think! LOL!

General rule of thumb - if your battery falls below 2.8 volts, simply bin or recycle it. Some batteries can appear to recover even when taken below that level, but they degrade internally. And all of that is basic information straight from Battery Mooch.

And as for an accumulation of batteries over three to four years? Maybe time to replace and renew. :-)

#3 (permalink)      1/27/2020 3:16:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kydo56
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 411
  • Reviews 166
  • Kudos137
my other/older batteries (mostly 18650's for mtl use) are still going strong or strong enough to warrant using them at least.....these Basens are some of the most recent i've bought.

it just appears to have randomly decided to go dicky on me for some reason....wether it's the battery itself or maybe the mod caused it to totally drain....not sure either way but sounds like it needs binning/recycling.and i'll probably take your advise, thank you.

i heard/read of batteries been brought back to life but was'nt sure how much they'd drained or if it was adviseable anyway.

i did'nt fancy trying to fully charge this one and/or try to keep using it if it could potentially set on fire or go bang lol.
#4 (permalink)      1/27/2020 3:39:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+2 details
kydo56 wrote:

i heard/read of batteries been brought back to life but was'nt sure how much they'd drained or if it was adviseable anyway.

i did'nt fancy trying to fully charge this one and/or try to keep using it if it could potentially set on fire or go bang lol.

Yes, it is possible to bring batteries back to life from pretty much zero. Indeed, some inteli-chargers even claim to do that as one of their selling points.

I'm not that much of an expert to say whether batteries brought back into use after having fallen to a very low voltage is dangerous or not. All I know is that they irreversibly change internally as a result, and that it's the advice from Battery mooch (who is an acknowledged expert) that they should be disposed of and replaced.

Hope that helps. :-)

#5 (permalink)      1/27/2020 3:46:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kydo56
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 411
  • Reviews 166
  • Kudos137
yep thanks a lot.....for now i'll not bother charging or using it....maybe someone else might chime in and agree with you or say something different.

cheers.
#6 (permalink)      1/27/2020 3:51:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+3 details
kydo56 wrote:

yep thanks a lot.....for now i'll not bother charging or using it....maybe someone else might chime in and agree with you or say something different.

It sounds as if you're looking for someone to tell you it's safe and, by all means, carry on using those batteries. Well, as I say, the general advice in these circumstances from the acknowledged expert Mooch, would be not to.

Good luck. :-)

#7 (permalink)      1/27/2020 4:04:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kydo56
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 411
  • Reviews 166
  • Kudos137
+2 details
yes fair enough, i hear you and you're probably giving the right advice.....i just did'nt want to discard it and then find out i may have not needed to without at least trying to charge it again or something.

they're 10 GBP each as well lol :/
#8 (permalink)      1/27/2020 4:33:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6526
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos9606
+2 details
I have had batteries discharge to a very low rate on 2 occasions, because i left a mod standing and unused for too long... my fault.

The consensus when i looked around for advice was you can sometimes rescue them but as analogueman says it alters the chemistry inside the battery and as i always buy quality batteries to avoid as much of the risk from batteries as possible this process would put a question mark on the battery/s affected.

As such i always dispose of batteries that have discharged to a very low charge as a precaution.

I hope this helps to keep you safe :)
#9 (permalink)      1/27/2020 4:47:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kydo56
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 411
  • Reviews 166
  • Kudos137
yes my main concern is safety,
i just was'nt sure if you could still try charging/using it and worse that could happen was it just would'nt work or last very long.....

or if trying to charge/use it, worse case would be it setting on fire or going bang or something.
as i say i was aware of batteries being revived so was'nt sure what's what.
#10 (permalink)      1/27/2020 4:52:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6526
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos9606
+1 details
kydo56 wrote:

yes my main concern is safety,
i just was'nt sure if you could still try charging/using it and worse that could happen was it just would'nt work or last very long.....

or if trying to charge/use it, worse case would be it setting on fire or going bang or something.
as i say i was aware of batteries being revived so was'nt sure what's what.

I did manage to rescue the first set by restarting the charge process a few times and they did come back.

But when i found out that it could have changed the chemistry i disposed of them.....

I am not saying it WILL be a problem just that i would not take the chance.

#11 (permalink)      1/27/2020 4:54:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+2 details
kydo56 wrote:

yes fair enough, i hear you and you're probably giving the right advice.....i just did'nt want to discard it and then find out i may have not needed to without at least trying to charge it again or something.

they're 10 GBP each as well lol :/

LOL! Yeah, I know what you mean. Suddenly faced with the prospect of replacing a couple of batteries at ten quid a pop out of the blue can bring a proverbial tear to the eye! :-]