shopping cart empty
Ouchers!!!
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      2/5/2019 10:34:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Morris68
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 4974
  • Reviews 47
  • Kudos7930
+1 details
Ouchers!!!

A 24-year-old man was killed in Texas last week when his vape pen exploded — slicing open his carotid artery and leaving his grandmother’s car covered in blood.

William Brown died after his left internal carotid artery was severed due to trauma from the exploding vape pen he just bought from Smoke & Vape DZ in Keller, a town just north of Fort Worth, his distraught grandmother told WFAA.

“He popped it and it exploded, and that’s when it shot across his mouth,” Alice Brown told the station.

Brown claimed the device’s battery malfunctioned, melting bits of plastic from her car to the vape pen — which launched the charred debris into her grandson’s face and neck, leaving her car soaked in blood. Brown died at John Peter Smith Hospital two days later, she said.

“When they X-rayed him, they found the stem, the metal embedded to where the blood flows up to the brain,” Brown continued. “I miss him already, and knowing he won’t open that door and come through it ever again is the hardest part.”

Funeral services for Brown, a licensed electrician, are scheduled for later this week, his grandmother said.

Brown, who wasn’t a regular smoker, purchased the device on Jan. 27 while on the way to the bank, the grandmother told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He suffered from asthma and was told that a specialized vape pen might help improve his breathing, she told the newspaper.

After the blast, William Brown managed to crawl out of the car and toward the trunk, where he collapsed on the pavement. A nearby witness called an ambulance, she said, and a medical examiner later ruled that his cause of death was penetrating trauma from an exploding vaporizer pen, making him at least the second person in the United States to be killed by an exploding e-cigarette, according to the newspaper.

Brown, a high school graduate who loved fixing up his Mazda RX8, was preparing to celebrate his birthday in just two weeks, his grandmother said.

“It just hurts so bad,” she told the Star-Telegram. “Now he’ll never see that birthday. It’s a waste of the thing he could have accomplished.”

She continued: “It just all seems so unreal. He was running around doing his thing at 24 and now he’s gone.”

Brown said an investigator in the case told her the device’s battery caused the deadly explosion. She told the newspaper she searched her vehicle and found a piece of the battery with its serial number.

“That’s the important part,” she told the newspaper. “That’s what the investigator said he needed … I just hope, if anything, I hope it stops someone from [smoking electronic cigarettes]. I don’t know how many more people will have to die.”

A store employee who witnessed the incident, meanwhile, told the Dallas Morning News that the vaporizer was not purchased at the location. Authorities told the employee not to discuss details of Brown’s death.

The newspaper also cited US Fire Administration statistics from 2017 showing that 133 acute injuries from e-cigarettes, vaporizers and other similar devices were reported between 2009 and 2016. Most of the fires and explosions occurred while the device was being used or stored in a pocket and none had resulted in death, according to the report.

But a Florida man named Tallmadge D’Elia, 38, suffered multiple injuries to his face when he was killed by an exploding e-cigarette last May. A medical examiner’s report listed his cause of death as a “projectile wound of the head,” leaving him with burns on about 80 percent of his body, the Star-Telegram reports.

One of the pieces removed from D’Elia’s head featured the logo of Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, a company based in the Philippines, according to the New York Times.
"It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince them they have been fooled!" Mark Twain, American Author
#2 (permalink)      2/5/2019 11:02:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 6718
  • Reviews 187
  • Kudos25515
+3 details

133 acute injuries from e-cigarettes, vaporizers and other similar devices were reported between 2009 and 2016.

That's 19 per year. 133 incidents in 7 years, one death. That hardly warrants "I just hope, if anything, I hope it stops someone from smoking electronic cigarettes. I don’t know how many more people will have to die."

Sad for the guy though. Sounds yet again like a mech, user error, and a vape store not giving proper info. We don't need silly FDA regulations on flavorings or other similar nonsense, but we do need regulations on forcing vape-shops to provide proper battery safety info.

But still, a little perspective is always good:
"Deaths from lightning strikes hit a record low in 2017 in the United States, according to a new report. There were 16 lightning-related fatalities in 2017, breaking the previous low of 23 deaths in 2013, according to the National Weather Service (NWS)."

Edited on 2/5/2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      2/5/2019 5:19:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 24573
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos19163
+1 details
In 2017, the U.S. Fire Administration released a report that found at least 195 incidents attributed to vape explosions occurred between 2009 and 2016. In most of those cases, the explosion caused nearby objects to catch fire and 133 of the incidents resulted in injuries.

Last year, Dennis Thombs, dean of the School of Public Health at UNT Health Science Center, published a study that concluded the number of vape explosions in the U.S. were most likely underestimated. Thombs estimated that there were 2,035 e-cigarette explosions and burn injuries in the United States between 2015 and 2017. “Improved surveillance of e-cigarette injuries and regulation of e-cigarette devices is urgently needed,” Thombs wrote. The lithium-ion batteries found in vape pens can be highly volatile, and people should use caution when purchasing powerful vaping devices, especially mechanical mods.
Heaven has a wall and strict immigration policies. Hell has open borders.
#4 (permalink)      2/5/2019 6:09:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 8900
  • Reviews 239
  • Kudos5733
I think she needs to throw her cell phone out too because of the battery being dangerous, too many people die from texting and driving. And throw out her car battery while shes at it, that has TONS of "electronic cigarette" batteries stashed in it. It'll save her the trouble of having a car, she can walk safely without fear.

Edited on 2/5/2019 at 6:47 PM. Reason:
In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#5 (permalink)      2/5/2019 6:21:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ohmatic
  • JoinedJun 2017
  • Posts 147
  • Reviews 16
  • Kudos182
+1 details
An average of 13 children in the US choke to death on hot dogs every year, yet we still see hot dogs marketed to children, even cartoon-themed hot dog slicers that cut them into perfect choking sized pieces. Come on FDA, not even a warning on the label, thought you cared about the children.
#6 (permalink)      2/5/2019 7:22:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 20722
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos39421
"Smok-E Mountain Mech Works"

Does this mean that it was a mech? There's a lot of information omitted from the article that would have helped in understanding how it happened. Like: was he a beginner; what kind of battery; was it some kind of misuse of the mod or battery, etc. Articles like this are nearly clickbait in the absence of information and with the use of emotive, persuasive language.

The newspaper also cited US Fire Administration statistics from 2017 showing that 133 acute injuries from e-cigarettes, vaporizers and other similar devices were reported between 2009 and 2016. Most of the fires and explosions occurred while the device was being used or stored in a pocket and none had resulted in death, according to the report.

By "similar devices", they're casting the net quite wide when you think about it.

#7 (permalink)      2/5/2019 7:34:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 20722
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos39421

FORT WORTH, Texas - A vape pen is being blamed in the death of a Texas man after a medical examiner says it exploded while he was trying to use it.

William Eric Brown, 24, died January 29. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner said he suffered a stroke caused by a severed artery from a vaporizer pen explosion.

According to a report from KTVT, the explosion happened in the parking lot of a vape shop on January 27.

The manager of the vape shop told reporters that Brown didn't buy anything, but wanted help using a Mechanical Mod style vape pen. The manager said they don't sell the brand because it is known to have issues.

Texas man killed after vape pen explodes and severs artery, medical examiner says

#8 (permalink)      2/5/2019 7:51:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ohmatic
  • JoinedJun 2017
  • Posts 147
  • Reviews 16
  • Kudos182
wuwei.ap wrote:

"Smok-E Mountain Mech Works"

Does this mean that it was a mech? There's a lot of information omitted from the article that would have helped in understanding how it happened. Like: was he a beginner; what kind of battery; was it some kind of misuse of the mod or battery, etc. Articles like this are nearly clickbait in the absence of information and with the use of emotive, persuasive language.

By "similar devices", they're casting the net quite wide when you think about it.

Smoke e Mountain was the maker of the mod that supposedly killed the man in Florida last year, they may have been just citing that incident, but it was told that this incident was a mech.

#9 (permalink)      2/5/2019 8:52:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JoeVapesReviews
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 50
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos29
+1 details
Still does not beat out cigarettes killing people per year in house fires alone. Not to mention all the other ways they will kill you. Heck there is probably more people who die from dropping their cigarette on their lap while driving and then wreck. The whole I hope this stops people from vaping line made me not take the entire article seriously. I feel bad for the dude, but maybe talk about mech mod safety instead of chastising the entire category of vapers. Someone needs to educate the family after they've had time to process their loved ones death. I can see the anti vaping politicians hovering them now like a volt of vultures ready to swoop in now. (fun fact... a group of vultures is called a volt, a committee, and a venue)

Edited on 2/5/2019 at 8:54 PM. Reason:
#10 (permalink)      2/5/2019 9:23:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 2721
  • Reviews 95
  • Kudos3031
Horrible way to go but leaves us vapers wanting to know the facts, right? we all care about vape safety. No one should get hurt vaping. We all know that ego style devices are potential pipe bombs, no venting and the cell inside is of dubious quality.

If it was a fatal Mech indecent, the user would be the most likely cause. If I wished to commit suicide by mech, how would I do this, is it possible. I think not.
#11 (permalink)      2/6/2019 2:03:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
yoshy262
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 1729
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos1574
Was a short or a shitty battery?
Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow.