Single coil flavour RDAs - Working builds
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      9/9/2017 11:29:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
phlegmor
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 652
  • Reviews 295
  • Kudos753
+6 details
Single coil flavour RDAs - Working builds
Recently got the O-Atty V2 and the Solo RDA and by the looks of things, they are not an easy drop your coil in and you're good affair like the O-Atty v1 or the Hadaly were. They are more of a PITA try all sorts of coils to eventually find the perfect vape kinda thing, like the Narda was.

Anyway, to lessen the burden of our fellow man and to take a step towards collective enlightenment, why don't we share single coil flavour RDA builds that turned out to work well on specific atties?

I think a list of paramteters of interest would be something like this:
- wire type (material, gauge, SKU of your favorite premade clapton coil, etc.)
- inner diameter of the coil
- number of wraps
- exact positioning of the coil (the Narda taught us how important that one can be)
- preferred wattage to put through your coil
- is your build working on a mech/unregulated mod?

I'll go first:

Narda:

I haven't tried stainless steel yet and all my Kanthal builds didn't work well on unregulated mods, I also didn't like thicker wire in it let alone claptons and the like. In the end there was only one build (for me) that gave great flavour, didn't heat up the top cap too much and also minimized the whistle:

AWG 27 Kanthal contact coil, 9-10 wraps over a 3mm screwdriver.
The coil is positioned perpendicular to the airflow, in a way that you can see exactly the same amount of its upper part sticking out above the airflow poles as you can see of its lower part through the airflow hole. From there you only need to push it down a milimeter to get to the perfect height.
Putting it any lower will quickly result in a decrease in flavour and an increase in whistling. Putting it any higher will lead to a very hot vape and also restrict the air above the coil too much to get you great flavour.

This build shines at 25-35W, depending on your juice.

Looking forward to reading about your experiences. Cheers!

Edited on 9/9/2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      9/9/2017 12:20:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
+4 details
I don't see how we can pin down specific builds that work best for specific attys. For example, I like a cooler vape than most. I never get past 20w and most often vape between 12 and 15. That's lower than most and I know there's a few people here below that down in the 7w range.

I think positioning is a valid variable that we can pin down and I agree with you on the Narda positioning.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#3 (permalink)      9/9/2017 12:38:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
phlegmor
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 652
  • Reviews 295
  • Kudos753
+1 details
I think it's fine, if you include all that information in your description. Someone else might post his own setup that he puts more power through and people can match all that up with their own vaping habits. And even if it is a total mismatch, I doubt that there aren't some tidbits of information here or there that could be of value even then, maybe it will even inspire to try something out that one didn't think would even work.

I agree that positioning and inner diameter probably are most important, but the other parameters should be mentioned as well to put them into context.

Cheers!
#4 (permalink)      9/9/2017 12:51:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
+1 details
Ok, I'll post a couple later.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#5 (permalink)      9/9/2017 6:39:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
+2 details
I coil for mechs because that's what I use the most. If I use regulated I use the same ohms as the mechs and adjust the watts.

I use round kanthal, I don't have enough experience with 316L to comment on that. All my coils are spaced.

Narda is 26 gauge, 3mm, 6.5 wraps for about 0.9 ohms. Positioning is the same as you.

Shift BF. Imo this is the best compact rda design to date. It's unfortunately discontinued. Coil is 27 gauge, 2.5mm, 5.5 wraps for about 0.85 ohms. Flavour positioning for this is counterintuitive. It's pushed down into the well a little bit, lower than what you'd think looking at the air stream. Wick is wrapped around and touching in the back.

Ashura, everything about this is weird but I like it. I use it bottom feed and that system keeps the wick in juice puddles in the deck wells. It has a relatively large chamber but I get a 0.8 ohm vape from a 1.1 ohm coil. 27 gauge, 3mm 6.5 wraps but I don't think that matters. Position is just legs down, coil up and airflow is just wherever. This is an Aeolus type vape with, I think, one caveat. I think the people that don't like it take a strong short draw where I take a lazy longer one.

I use Aeolus v1 with velocity decks a lot too but that's ancient history with lots of documentation on this forum. Basically it's just get the coil(s) directly below the airflow.

Really liking the Nextera but I've only had it a few days and I'm still on my first coil. Just a basic 26 gauge, 2.5mm.

Edited on 9/9/2017 at 7:30 PM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      9/9/2017 7:44:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kevinktran
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos152
+1 details
I second for the NextEra. It's a very nice flavorful vape (I'm a fan of vertical builds). SS fused clapton (28x2)+40, 5 spaced wraps, 2.5mm ID, rayon wick, @37W.

Caveats: it's more convenient with squonking than top filling.

Edited on 9/9/2017 at 7:57 PM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      9/10/2017 2:19:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Randall_H
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 5428
  • Reviews 56
  • Kudos7133
+5 details
I've been doing Kanthal 2x26GA(parallel), 6 wraps, 3mm ID (~.45-ohm) on several of the single-coil RDAs lately and I'm really liking it. My usual build for a dual-coil RDA is 2x 26GA Kanthal 2.5-3mm ID, 5-6 wraps (~.4-ohm) so it is very similar in performance.

Here's a photo of the (very dirty) build of this I'm vaping on now in a Wasp Nano with a Pico Squeeze.

Edit: Here it is cleaned up a bit.

Edited on 9/10/2017 at 2:32 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      9/10/2017 3:04:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TruckinVapor
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 3752
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5456
+4 details
Been squonkin' the Solo on my Kimech with a huge 4mm SS fused Clapton (26*2/38) wedged between the AF/clamps. only 4 wraps to compliment input air diameter. Probably not for everyone as it's ohming out at 0.25 but, I like building tight on these low profile drippers...
Living is the only thing worth dying for...
#9 (permalink)      9/10/2017 5:07:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
4C2O_
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 1901
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos2886
+2 details
phlegmor the only build that has worked for me in narda is the following:

Build as if you were building it dual coil but only use one stuck as close to the airhole as you feel comfortable with. I use a piece of silicone tube to seal the extra airhole. Great taste and the offset also helps with spitting issues (but doesn't solve them)

What I usually build is 30awg SS, either 2.5mm, 6 wraps or 3mm, 5 wraps. Sometimes I use the same builds but with 28awg. Slower ramp but hotter vape overall. On pico I vape any of those setups at 15watts/180C on original FW. I leave the airhole fully open but the coil and wick blocks a lot of air, so I'd say the draw is a loose MTL

if needed, pictures tomorrow but I'm sure you can pull it
#10 (permalink)      9/11/2017 2:53:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PaulToMyFreinds
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 190
  • Reviews 105
  • Kudos261
+2 details
I do dual coil on the Narda. The secret (for me) of any slightly difficult build is take out 1 of the screws; it gives you more room to work with. Do both wires on one side, put the screw back in a few turns, do that side. It's pretty quick once you've done it a couple of times. 28 Awg 6 wraps @ 2.5mm, about 0.6 ohms, air holes reduced to about half for MTL.
#11 (permalink)      9/11/2017 3:35:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cmj55
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 7284
  • Reviews 122
  • Kudos27747
+6 details
4C2O_ wrote:

phlegmor the only build that has worked for me in narda is the following:

Build as if you were building it dual coil but only use one stuck as close to the airhole as you feel comfortable with. I use a piece of silicone tube to seal the extra airhole. Great taste and the offset also helps with spitting issues (but doesn't solve them)

I do exactly the same using a 3mm id SS coil at just under 0.6 ohm on a Coppervape BF.
The only difference is that I've blocked off the other air hole with two cocktail sticks cut to length.

The coil looks rather nasty here but the photo' does show the blocked air hole;)

Edited on 9/11/2017 at 3:57 AM. Reason: added a photo'