shopping cart empty
Goliath vs Goblin (head to head match up)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/7/2015 9:37:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JoeVan
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 8084
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos10452
$2.00 rebate earned+37 details
Goliath vs Goblin (head to head match up)
I will post this in a new thread, but here goes:

Goliath vs Goblin RTA comparison

Unboxing the two, both came in identical UD packaging, so I’m not going to bother with pics of that. Both came fully assembled, with spare o-rings, and a little black good for nothing screwdriver. The Goblin did come with a extended tank section and chimney, where the Goliath did not.

The Goliath lives up to it’s name when it comes to sheer size. It towers above the Goblin (with smaller tank section). I threw a Orchid V4 in the middle for more comparison on size.

On first look, I noticed the air holes on the Goliath looked smaller. Turns out they are. (Goblin on left)

I confirmed this by opening both up, and sticking a 3mm screwdriver in the air holes on the deck. It went right into the Goblin, where in the Goliath, it just didn’t. I would say they look about 1mm smaller on the deck. Not a huge difference. (Goblin on left, again)

The deck on the Goblin does appear to be a bit larger that the Goliath (which is very unfortunate, as the Goblin deck was pretty darn small in itself). I confirmed this also. The Goblin chimney fits over the whole Goliath build deck without even using the threads.

The juice channels on the Goliath are MUCH bigger in comparison to the Goblin. These things are simply huge. (note the machine oil all over the Goliath deck, be sure to clean this thing good) I prefer the two post design of the Goliath over the 4 hole in the Goblin (and Orchid). It was much easier to center the coils, and it also provides a little more room (between the posts) for a little more airflow.

I put identical builds in both devices so I could compare how they vape with the same exact build. I did 26g 2mm 8 wrap micro coils, which came out to .5 ohms. It was much easier to center the coils over the air holes on the Goliath, and one of the Goblin screws did snap the 26g wire on the first go-round without much pressure on it.

The Goblin I wicked like normal (cotton sitting just above, and barely in the juice channels) and I wicked the Goliath just as RayLo did in his, cut even with the square cutout section of the juice wells.

Filling the Goliath was much easier, but I found that I could not get a complete fill (I have filled it a few times already). Once it’s turned right side up again, there is always a pretty decent sized air pocket in the top. This is a big negative, because the tank is already small as it is (3mL). The Goblin fills all the way up, but from experiences of many users, the fill screw tends to leak. Only time will tell if this new version fixed this issue. The fill screw does seem a bit more recessed than the V1 Goblin, so a small O-Ring will probably fit if needed. If capacity is a big deal, the Goblin wins with the 4.5mL extended tank.

Putting the Goliath back together can be bothersome, and my initial thoughts of “oh snap this is awesome, you can access your build whenever!” were quickly put to bed. With the ability to access your build whenever, also comes the ability to inadvertently jack up your build whenever you fill your tank. The threads are so fine, it takes multiple tries to get them lined up, so quick assembly is not an option here. I now see this design as both a blessing, and a curse. Same can be said for the Goblin, but for the opposite reasons.

Continued in next post...
Joke's on you, this isn't actually a raffle.
#2 (permalink)      4/7/2015 9:39:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JoeVan
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 8084
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos10452
$0.10 rebate earned+15 details
Goliath vs Goblin RTA comparison (pt 2)

How do they vape?

With identical builds, and both running on the same wattage, it’s a close race between the two tanks. The airflow is a bit smaller on the Goliath, but you don’t really notice. I feel like I got a bit smoother vape out of the Goliath, and it pulls ahead slightly in flavor. The Goblin airflow is noisier by a good bit, but both tanks have an ‘airy noise’ to them. Both produce nice thick clouds, and have plenty of air, close to a dripper, or better (depending on your dripper).

I got ZERO dry hits out of the Goliath, where I was starting to get a few chain vaping the Goblin. I was using 90% VG juice. Thinner juice, and there would be no difference between the two in wicking. PG intolerant? Goliath would wick 100% VG juice, no issues. I have no doubt about that. Overall, the Goliath vapes better to me, but not by much.

For as big as the Goliath is, it’s disappointingly small where it matters. I like the 6mm chimney, but with a pea-sized build deck, what’s the point? The RTA is huge, but the tank is small. The capacity of 3mL (probably 2.5mL in reality) leaves a lot to be desired, and I would not recommend this for road trips, or any outings further than 10 minutes. You can easily kill a tank full of juice in 15 minutes.

Overall, I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the Goliath tank, and I really hate saying that, because I was really looking forward to it. What were originally ‘game changers’ to me are now ‘meh..’ It’s not the tank to end all tanks. Maybe the next one will be. We can only hope.
Joke's on you, this isn't actually a raffle.
#3 (permalink)      4/7/2015 9:58:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18260
+5 details
I'm sorry, but whilst this whole in depth review thing is all very well......

..... A BLACK SCREWDRIVER? Deal breaker right there - blasphemy.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#4 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:06:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
michbaeck
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 2153
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos1231
Thx. A little disappointing your review but I'm looking forward to get mine anyway and still the silverplay.

Awaiting the Lemo 2 then I guess.

Didn't expect it to be that huge. Is it heavy, too? I hope it's not as heavy as the K4

Edit
Uhh Think I should have said "disappointed by your review". You know...

Edited on 4/7/2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason:
*by Gwailo
#5 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:09:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
XxRingoxX
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 3337
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos4547
I'm with you on that review. Goliath isn't bad, I just like the Goblin more at the moment. I like the Silverplay more than both the Youde offerings.
#6 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:09:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IamBD
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 799
  • Reviews 32
  • Kudos349
Nymzavril wrote:

I'm sorry, but whilst this whole in depth review thing is all very well......

..... A BLACK SCREWDRIVER? Deal breaker right there - blasphemy.

No doubt...LMAO!

Don't TELL me you're a Major Dude. SHOW me in your actions!
#7 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:14:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
BamBam1017
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 1760
  • Reviews 58
  • Kudos1711
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Thanks for the review - can the airflow be restricted for a nice taifun V1-style mouth to lung, or is it a lung hitters only deal?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited on 4/7/2015 at 7:09 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:16:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
iggys
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 5391
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos4166
Excellent review and you saved me money as I will pass on both now.. The wait for the next best thing continues as I never bottom fill and never will..
Silverplay will have to do if I decide to step up in the future..
Only a genius can say these four words out loud four times without stuttering: Eye, Yam, Stew, Peed Congratulations, you are now a genius
#9 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:24:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IamBD
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 799
  • Reviews 32
  • Kudos349
iggys wrote:

Excellent review and you saved me money as I will pass on both now.. The wait for the next best thing continues as I never bottom fill and never will..
Silverplay will have to do if I decide to step up in the future..

Bottom filling aside...it's the minimal and fine threads you will deal with on the deck after refilling each time, that will cause this device to strip. It's a FAIL for me, all other things considered. The Goblin V.2 is still my goto tank.

Don't TELL me you're a Major Dude. SHOW me in your actions!
#10 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:36:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Morris68
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 5161
  • Reviews 49
  • Kudos8131
Thanks for a great review JoeVan. Had my Goblin for a few weeks and the Goliath will be in my mailbox tomorrow or Thursday. Hoping you (or anyone) can help me with one thing. I'm starting to find it hard(or at least time-consuming) to fill the Goblin. Using a 65/35% VG/PG mix I find the juice backing up long before the tank is filled using the standard 30ml or 15ml metal tipped bottles. Not losing much juice but am I doing something wrong?
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" Robert Burns
#11 (permalink)      4/7/2015 10:40:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
iggys
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 5391
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos4166
Built in obsolescence and glass stops me cold also.. The last glass tank I bought lasted less than a hour and never even got used.. Probably the one tank on here you can't find glass for is the big fogger.. Give me a non glass alternative like the silverplay so I can use KF parts to go all metal and I get interested.. I bought 5 glass tanks from here for the nautilus that I used as covers for my lancia deck,, I have 1 left :/
Only a genius can say these four words out loud four times without stuttering: Eye, Yam, Stew, Peed Congratulations, you are now a genius