shopping cart empty
Could a tablet do music production?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#41 (permalink)      7/30/2018 9:21:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+1 details
it does seem 10 is far worse than 7 for not being able to have your own settings/preferences, i'm at the stage where im on xp until i really have to shift to 7, after that i'll probably look at another o/s
#42 (permalink)      7/31/2018 2:17:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
I'm beginning to really like the simplified interface. It doesn't feel like a kludge, it's fairly polished. Aesthetically it's a big improvement.

I don't like the lack of control over the WU system. I feel like I have to hack away at stuff that I don't feel comfortable doing. They could simplify that area by simply using a list and allowing the user to update the system as they please and to hide the options they don't want. I have that issue every time I connect to the internet, that I think something will be downloaded without my permission, heh.

If I had the choice I would have opted for another OS, but I did this on the cheap. I only paid $300 AUD for the tablet and keyboard. The setup is all modular now so if I find that the tablet isn't performing as I'd like, I will use it as a fancy media player, it has a HDMI port that I've already used to play movies. So far, I have found problems with the Type C port, but I can live with old USB 2.0 and that works well. So I'm not too worried if the tablet side is fail - I can get a better one later and with a better knowledge of what I am looking for.

And I love this keyboard because I can pair it with two devices, like my phone, so it's made my life easier for a change.
#43 (permalink)      8/5/2018 5:17:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
I have come to terms with the wupdate. This version 1703 can still disable the wu service and still respects the metered connection settings. I use Microsoft’s wushowhide utility to hide the updates that I don't want (1803+), after checking what updates are being pushed. Once the updates are hidden, they aren't downloaded while I can download the other updates for 1703. Then I can disable the wu service for another month.
#44 (permalink)      8/5/2018 9:21:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lost_In_Space
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 4737
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos20252
+1 details
Glad you're getting into a groove with it, Wu. Have you installed Buzz or any other music software?

Running into some brick walls with LMMS. Trouble automating pitch bend data and writing it to MIDI. Pitch bend works fine playing live. Set up the controller track, drag and drop the pitch knob of the synth onto the track, fine. It records the movements but doesn't have the desired effect, the pitch only goes down real fast regardless of how many steps you set the bend for. I dunno, I think it's just supposed to be for the onboard synth modules -- it's not associating the bend data to the note during MIDI playback. I'm using a sampler module with no samples in it, just to write the notes, using the MIDI-out to play the onboard sounds of the keyboard. But no joy with MIDI pitch bend. Hell, without pitch bend that basically leaves a composer with piano and drums, lol.
Ad astra
#45 (permalink)      8/5/2018 9:47:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Nope not yet, still waiting for some stuff that has some dependencies so I have to wait until I get those bits first.

I tried buzz but not going there. I'll just pay for something like Renoise. I've been reading the manual in preparation and seeing how I can work it with this keyboard or whether it would be easier with another one. I got some stickers for the keycaps so I can see the musical keyboard layout on the PC keyboard.

I don't know much about MIDI, I didn't use it much and can't recall how I mapped the keyboard to Buzz. I did do it, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember how the modulation wheels worked. I would have probably done it directly in the pattern window because if it was pitch oriented, you could be exact about it just by entering the final data and automating the params in between (which you could do obviously). That doesn't help if you want to do it live.
#46 (permalink)      8/5/2018 10:23:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lost_In_Space
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 4737
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos20252
+1 details
Yeah that's what I'm used to in Reason -- handling pitch-bend right in the pattern window, simple and easy. Except LMMS doesn't allow for that, just velocity and pan for each note. Strange it doesn't include pitch bend that way. "Some guy online" said pitch-bend is a "global controller" and blagh blagh, but I know damn well a MIDI file can handle pitch bend. Maybe "global" in the sense that it will bend all notes (polyphonic) in the same track or channel, sure. But MIDI allows for 16 channels I think, so no problem. And now I've totally lost the creative muse in all this jazz, lol. Ah so. I'll just bounce some white-noise around with an LFO using a square wave and call it music. :)
Ad astra
#47 (permalink)      8/5/2018 10:33:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
I hated all this so-called connectivity myself. It just promises so much but the actuality of using it is a lot different - unless you have a technician with you to press record and stop. Thats why I prefer a proprietary way even if it isn't universal, although I looked at some Worlde Panda gear which is MIDI. I just want note entry and be able to play a real keyboard. I can live without modulation input. I like tracker software, it's a bit raw and on that side you don't have to relearn everything - it's its' own standard.
#48 (permalink)      8/22/2018 10:21:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lost_In_Space
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 4737
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos20252
+1 details
Hi Wu, hey the Casio WK-7600 is a blast for 400 bucks. Key action is very responsive. Feels like my old Rolland and much better than my mini Korg and cheapo-MIDI boards. The sample sets are decent and can be made better with tweaking. Not a synth, not building up sounds from oscillators, but control over ASDR envelope, filter, effects, even a ring modulator, which is really kind of useless outside of a synth, lol. And no portamento or control over polyphony, so no old-style mono synth solos where the filter sweeps nicely with legato playing -- but I can use my other boards for that. But some nice electronic crap like a versatile arpeggiator, harmonizer, layer, kbd split, all that jazz. Big-ass thing, just an octave short of a full-size piano.

The piano, ah, nice concert sound I achieved with a brighter sound layered with a darker one, slightly detuned and stereo split, with a nice hall reverb. Sounds realistic over the dynamic volume range. Fun to play, velocity response is nice too. Drawbar organ feature is also a riot, Leslie speaker effect with control over speed, ramp up, slow down, easy live control. Electric piano samples are also pretty nice.

On-board speakers better than expected, good bass response, fine for a personal monitor or small room just practicing. This function is really neat: it has a stereo line-in, and two more mono line-ins to amp a mic and an instrument like guitar or bass -- and those signals can be processed in their own channels in the mixer with all effects like reverb, flangers, phasers, delays, distortions -- like having a nice little amp with many built-in effects all in one. Although unlike real effects boxes, real-time tweaking is a bit of a hassle.

As for the 16-track mixing and sequencing/tracking/note-editing, it's very Wu Wei, meaning very technical and bare-bones if you want to go the data-input route, like sending a text on an old phone. You might like it, but I'm still going to need a DAW and computer, lol. But you can do everything, edit down to the quantum level, if you can grok the menu procedure. Pattern-editor is extremely robust and much easier than the sequencer. Accompaniment is a riot, tons of presents and progressions to jam to for inspiration. Has a memory card slot for digital recording and saving settings.

Best thing about it, I can just sit down, turn it on, and play, and it sounds decent (even if I do not, haha). No farting around with MIDI or computers. As a virtual piano -- every sample keyboard's flagship sound -- it rocks well enough for the price.

How's your set-up going with you?
Ad astra
#49 (permalink)      8/23/2018 10:38:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Sounds good LiS. It's a bit beyond my pay scale. :)

Lost_In_Space wrote:

How's your set-up going with you?

Don't ask, I'm returning it. I'm a bit annoyed. It crapped out. I'm looking for something else atm.

I want a full size USB3 port on whatever I do get. The good stuff starts somewhere over $600 so it looks like I will be looking at another cheap shit thing from China. :P

This one looks okay, SKU 8981100. It can take a SSD, so maybe a bit more secure if the emmc claps out (which is what I think happened to mine).

I'm feeling anti-tech at the moment because I seem to be cursed. Two good memory cards died on me, this tablet died, my mail keeps getting routed to Western Australia and I lost a phone in the mail (I got refunded). So just bad luck recently.

Of course when things like this happen, just throw all in and buy more stuff...

*neener*

#50 (permalink)      8/24/2018 11:18:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Lost_In_Space
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 4737
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos20252
+1 details
Bummer.

But yeah just buy more tech junk along with all that other happy horseshit that reminds Modern Man he's alive.

I'm totally with ya there. :) Hope all that improves for ya.

Think my next purchase is a small digital recorder, under $30. Uses memory cards, can record to WAV and a bunch of formats. Stereo line-in, and mics, but I want it mostly for the line-in. Want to use it to record from the line-out of this new board, since I have LMMS and everything pumped through that -- and this cheap laptop has no line-in for recording.
Ad astra
#51 (permalink)      8/24/2018 4:49:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Everything gets so complicated with tech stuff. Yeah, I just realised that most tablet mic ins aren't XLR friendly, although on the PC I have been able to use a balanced to unbalanced adapter.

I'm a bit miffed about the tablet, but there were so many shortcomings that in a bizarre way I think it works out better. I can recoup the losses which will be the postage through PayPal returns and have fleabay on my side for a change. The thing I am disappointed about is that it would have been near perfect had it performed as you'd expect.

I think it isn't hard to find a good recorder for your purposes. I got in too early with my minidisc, but they have optical out and the PC has optical in. For a while there, I had lossless transfer.