shopping cart empty
Could a tablet do music production?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      7/26/2018 2:37:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Apparently Win10 can update itself if the updates are found on a network. I think you can set when they are installed by a schedule so it doesn't happen when you're doing stuff. I saw a setting somewhere in the Admin Templates of the GPE.

Windows wants to insert itself into your business so that it feels like it's needed, hehe. It's made it paranoid.
#32 (permalink)      7/26/2018 3:46:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Mitchmangr
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 507
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos995
+3 details
^^
"The Electronic Thumb was a short squat black rod, smooth and matte with a couple of flat switches and dials at one end."
#33 (permalink)      7/27/2018 1:20:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
wuwei.ap wrote:

Apparently Win10 can update itself if the updates are found on a network. I think you can set when they are installed by a schedule so it doesn't happen when you're doing stuff. I saw a setting somewhere in the Admin Templates of the GPE.

Windows wants to insert itself into your business so that it feels like it's needed, hehe. It's made it paranoid.

If I can’t disable Win 10 update to work and then enable it when I’ve completed my work, then IMHO it’s not an acceptable platform for recording. I may work 1hr or 36hrs so for me setting a scheduled time wouldn’t work. On previous versions I set updates to disabled and ran it manually once a week at a time I wasn’t working.

I tried for months and the only way I could find to disable Win 10 updates was to uninstall it. If I disabled it in services it would automatically restart. If you find a rational solution I’m all ears.

#34 (permalink)      7/27/2018 3:29:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
That makes me worry about the next update then, I have one more cumulative update for 1703 which I'll do manually online and then wait until someone figures out how to re-enable the option to disable Windows Updates. I have Home but I installed the Group Policy editor from local packages using a batch script that I found online. If that doesn't work I don't know what else come the 18xx update.

These are the options from the GP under Windows Updates:

I'm not sure how much the policies are enforced since it isn't a standard feature of Home. A work-around might be scheduling (I know, I know) when they do occur. It's a silly way of doing things though - by default everything should be off and it would be better with Cortana nagging you instead, lol.

Currently I don't know if it's the metered connection option or the policy which is stopping updates. It could even be a network problem because I have been having problems downloading some languages.

I do like Win 10. I would like it more if it didn't try to integrate itself with your life - most of the MS stuff is disabled because my login is through a local account and not a Microsoft Account - and I am keeping it that way.

I did run the system file checker, sfc and dism, using the online options and it did repair files sourced online.

It's weird. If I find a way, I will let you know.

Edited on 7/27/2018 at 4:31 AM. Reason:
#35 (permalink)      7/30/2018 10:20:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
It's the task scheduler that invokes the windows update service. There are two settings in there that can be disabled from triggering it. I aren't on the tablet atm, but I found some ways to stop updates.
#36 (permalink)      7/30/2018 10:58:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4927
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6043
+1 details
can updates be deleted from the registry ?
#37 (permalink)      7/30/2018 11:10:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
There isn't any storage of them in the registry. The logs of the update are stored in %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore, IIRC. The files are locked by the windows update service, so you have to stop the service before deleting them. After that, your update history found in Settings is deleted, but the list of updates will be generated again if you click the Check for updates button in the Windows Updates page.

I don't want to completely disable updates, just the ones I don't want. I prefer reviewing which ones to apply. There is a MS app that will show or hide which updates will be downloaded and I am using that to stop some updates, but you have to wait until they are offered before hiding (stop them from download) them.
#38 (permalink)      7/30/2018 11:17:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4927
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6043
+2 details
first thing i do after a fresh install is delete the win upddate service , no use for you if you still need some yep,, i'm hellish for going in there and getting rid of stuff i'll never use or dont want running in the background
#39 (permalink)      7/30/2018 11:58:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
I'm new to these devices and the OS, so don't want to change too many things without knowing what they do. It was easier in XP. I am debating whether I need these updates, but I want to them for this version but not the next where they begin disabling your option to turn them off.

It's like a virus, heh.
#40 (permalink)      7/30/2018 3:48:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
This applies to the Win10 version 1703.

Okay, after deleting two files in %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore, DataStore.edb and DataStore.jfm, Windows Update is saying that...

... and I have disabled the metered connection setting to download language files.

I did lose the log of installed driver and feature updates, but they are accessible elsewhere or are not important enough to retain.

Avoid or uninstall these updates, they active Windows Updates over a metered connection:
KB4023814
KB4023057
#41 (permalink)      7/30/2018 9:21:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4927
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6043
+1 details
it does seem 10 is far worse than 7 for not being able to have your own settings/preferences, i'm at the stage where im on xp until i really have to shift to 7, after that i'll probably look at another o/s