shopping cart empty
Could a tablet do music production?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      6/15/2018 4:22:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
Hiko9 wrote:

If my previous suggestion about used towers (which could be done for same price or less than that tablet) is not a goer because needs to be very compact or portable, you'll still get a lot more for your money with a used laptop, like a lenovo thinkpad with a 2nd or 3rd gen intel core in it.

I’m using a Lenovo Thinkpad with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it does a fine job. So far it has handled songs with 20+ tracks, and many are audio.

I setup this Lenovo rig to have a portable clone of my main desktop system so I could go to other musician’s homes, play the song, add 1 or 2 new tracks, then insert them into the song on my main system. This works well when it’s a PITA for musicians to transport multiple instruments/gear (sometimes heavy) when I can travel lite with a few small light cases. We record audio with headphones but I also have sets of small 3” & 5” monitors to listen to the playback for quality.

What I’m saying is if I can transfer tracks recorded by my Lenovo to my $3,000 Spectral rackmount system without any sound loss, then anyone could use a Lenovo as a primary system.

#22 (permalink)      6/16/2018 3:30:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
Tracker software is a little different to multitrack mixing type software. You can render parts of an arrangement and live play others (soft synths and effects). So you can reimport rendered tracks once you've finished or export tracks of an arrangement into a multitrack audio program for post. There's lots of different ways to work depending on CPU power.

I'll have a look at performance comparisons for the lenovo and any device I'm looking at, thanks.
#23 (permalink)      7/25/2018 12:33:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
#24 (permalink)      7/25/2018 3:14:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
^ ^ ^ Looks like a very interesting setup with many different options. Please let us know how it all works out.
#25 (permalink)      7/25/2018 4:09:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
It's a cute setup. The tablet just sits in that slot. The keyboard uses a proprietary wireless dongle or BT/2.4Ghz, it's pretty flexible, I can boot into the BIOS with it as well.

I want to get comfy with this OS first. It's a few steps away from XP and I want to try optimize it before making huge changes, it seems Win 10 uses a lot of resources. I love the feel of this keyboard, but I already know there are a few keys missing that Renoise uses (I can reconfigure them).

I opened up Buzz and I decided I don't want to go there, so much has changed and I don't want to invest in something that looks to have little support now (it looks and feels like an archaic kludge).

For sound, I have wired cans, because of bluetooth latency and it might get funky with this wireless keyboard, but as I am using it now there isn't any interference from BT or Wifi. Apparently, the keyboard has anti-ghosting, so effectively I could play chords straight from it.

Really, if kept minimal, I only need the software. The only other thing is a headphone amp maybe...
#26 (permalink)      7/25/2018 6:16:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
Looks like you have most of the hardware you’ll need. I added a set of small Akai monitors (< $100USD) to mine because headphones get bothersome to me after a few hours. I also have an Akai Micro-Key keyboard controller I can take when recording OTG. It has 37 ¾ sized keys and unlike most 25 key controllers, in a pinch you can actually play this one with 2 hands if necessary.

Another thing to consider is if you plan to record audio such as real guitar & bass you may need an audio/digital converter to get the latency low enough to record in real-time. In my experience anything above 8ms is difficult to play in real-time and most built-in audio processors cannot get close to this.

Also if you are new to Windows 10 it is different. IMHO it is the best overall Windows to date but I’m still running XP & 7 on my recording systems and there are 2 reasons why.

1. Windows 10 will randomly stop your work to send error messages and automatically reboot, and so far I can’t find a way to prevent it. This would be a major problem for me in the middle of a track and I would have to constantly save.

2. Windows 10 update will run automatically without warning and will use a lot of your systems resources. Unlike other versions of Windows there are no options to turn off updates or to manually update. Plus some of the important updates can take hours.

The first time I encountered this I thought my computer had malware or was hacked. There was no notification or anything indicating Windows was updating. I finally realized it by looking at my resources in task manager and just let the computer run. The next morning there was a message on screen saying “Congrats your computer is now up to date!”. Screw that.

Note I’m running Windows 10 Home and IICR the Pro version still has the option to show your connection as metered and you can control when it updates. Thingy is all versions initially had this option until the Anniversary Update when it was removed. Hey just Google “Can’t Turn Off Windows 10 updates” or "Windows 10 Automatically Reboots” and you’ll get a billion hits. The many fixes I tried didn’t work.

Maybe a solution for recording is as simple as the General’s suggestion in the movie War Games…”Just Unplug the Goddamn Thang”. (in this case WiFi/Network)

Sorry for the rant but my hope is I can save other artists some time & grief.

Edited on 7/25/2018 at 6:46 AM. Reason:
#27 (permalink)      7/25/2018 6:55:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
I totally understand about Win 10! It happened to me... That's why I want to limit any more updates until I know it's safe to do so. I'm on version 1703 so on the cusp of the Anniversary Update I believe. I enabled the Group Policy editor and have found settings that can completely disable the updates for now, otherwise it will be sandboxed until I update my data plan to something more data friendly.

The GP editor has ways to disable notifications completely, I think. I turned on the quiet hours from the Action Center so no notifications so far.

An external USB sound card might kill two birds with one stone: a headphone amp and outboard audio. The issue I might have is a hub. I need to find one that works on this thing without spending a lot of money. The USB 3 isn't fully implemented on this thing as I've found, but USB 2.0 is.

The headphones I have are Sennheiser enclosed cans which are supposed to be fairly flat in response so close to reference, they nearly cost as much as the tablet, heh.

The beginning is always a bit rough with new tech stuff. It doesn't always work as you'd expect it to, so I'm trying to be careful not to invest too much in one area only to find it a dead end. So far it's been good. Next week I'll probably buy a license for the software and get to really see how this keyboard is to use with the program.
#28 (permalink)      7/25/2018 8:28:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
I tried Windows 10 Home for my DAW on another PC (now at Win version 1803) and Microsoft has limited my options. Now some are greyed out or completely missing. Win 10 Pro has a different set of options but I'm using Home. I once could select the Group Policy to disable updates but after non-stoppable updates it is now unavailable. Tried registry edits and they worked until the next update. So IDK. My advice is tweak Win 10 to work on your system and let others out there know your setup &/or solution(s).

My solution was to totally disconnect my DAW PC & laptop from an internet connection and not use virus protection which sucks resources. When I need to upgrade drivers/software I go to the official websites directly.

For me and for now I’m sticking with Windows XP & 7. Lol, if it ain't broke don’t fix it. Thanks for your replies.
#29 (permalink)      7/25/2018 6:35:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
I think I might leave it as-is until I find out more about the next update (1803). Technically, I don't need the update if that's all I intend to do with the tablet. I prefer to manage my own security rather than leave it up to the OS (the OS virtually wants a DNA test and urine sample to operate, lol).

They seem to want to turn Win10 into a Google equivalent. I wish they'd make it a 3rd party extensible OS.

Thanks for you advice.
#30 (permalink)      7/26/2018 1:16:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
Windows 10 update appears to start after a reboot or shutdown and it gives no warning. Another thing which I can’t verify but have been told is update is always actively searching for new updates even if not online. This would drain resources too.

For years I have also been wishing for a third party OS dedicated to recording but apparently no one is interested. Windows 10 would work but Microsoft is more interested in security and has removed the ability for users to tweak parameters to make it work effectively with DAWS. I guess they never tried to record with it.

Anyway it’s usable and the best windows version, but just remember to save your work often.
#31 (permalink)      7/26/2018 2:37:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Apparently Win10 can update itself if the updates are found on a network. I think you can set when they are installed by a schedule so it doesn't happen when you're doing stuff. I saw a setting somewhere in the Admin Templates of the GPE.

Windows wants to insert itself into your business so that it feels like it's needed, hehe. It's made it paranoid.