shopping cart empty
Could a tablet do music production?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      6/13/2018 2:57:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Apparently Renoise, the app that I want to use, runs in linux too, but it's too technician like for me - linux that is. I get lost enough just using windows. Apple is like a dictatorship, there's only one way to do something and Linux is like allocating a buffer for disk reads. Windows is my compromise as much as I hate the creepy neoliberal agenda it sets, hehe.
#12 (permalink)      6/13/2018 3:25:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Oh, about your low-fi electro-acoustic thing, story, that sounds neat. I just got the compressor a few days ago and I think this morning I might get the chorus so I will be noodling about with that today.

I think dynamically, mixing high fi and low fi sounds works.
#13 (permalink)      6/13/2018 3:48:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Story_Time
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 1932
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos11259
+1 details
Yes that's where I'm headed, Wu. At least, in my head. Someday, when I get the room I can dedicate to it all.

I have this really neat bamboo set of pipes, a Native American type thing -- but the string holding it all together came apart and all the bamboo pipes came loose. They sound so neat when you just tap them with a mallet, if I can just arrange them in a xylophone frame, and mic it --

-- it would probably sound like crap, lol. But I like goofing around with stuff like that.

Almost started a project making a marimba out of PVC pipes -- but wow, what a project. Beyond me.
Ad astra
#14 (permalink)      6/13/2018 3:59:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IvanIvanovich
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 86
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos37
Работает ли таблетка влагалище Shelagh Stone?
#15 (permalink)      6/13/2018 4:05:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Haha, bamboo is a better wood block sound.

I have about a GB of royalty free samples from Dr Rhythm drums to Alesis kits and the whole Roland sample sets. A whole bunch of raw keyboard sounds too.

A friend had an electronic drum kit and I'd patch in my effects. The digital delay sounded great and he could play to it like a back beat while I tweaked it. It sounded really Drum n Bass like. The sad thing here is that it's a really narrow minded crowd here and that kind of stuff isn't accessible.

I liked jamming with others but we're miles apart as far as music goes here.
#16 (permalink)      6/14/2018 3:41:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
The new chorus sounds just like the one in my Session Man pedal. I'm still exploring the compressor sounds through a distortion pedal. Lot's of tweaking tonight...

I'm looking at this tablet, SKU 6386500.

Edited on 6/14/2018 at 3:43 AM. Reason:
#17 (permalink)      6/14/2018 5:00:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos336
+1 details
Just grab Noise Tracker or, my personal fave, Fasttracker II and be done with it. 486DX66 and a Soundblaster 16 never sounded better!
#18 (permalink)      6/14/2018 7:37:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Yeah, I loved FTII. That setup was what started it for me. Those oscilloscopes. Who'd have thought you could create such nice instruments from a tiny sample slice...
#19 (permalink)      6/15/2018 9:00:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hiko9
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 5650
  • Reviews 269
  • Kudos5418
+2 details
That tablet spec you gave does make sense. It's x86 so should be at least somewhat compatible with the windows library.

I think your limitations will be more CPU power and storage than ram

if my previous suggestion about used towers (which could be done for same price or less than that tablet) is not a goer because needs to be very compact or portable, you'll still get a lot more for your money with a used laptop, like a lenovo thinkpad with a 2nd or 3rd gen intel core in it

a tower is nice because more connectivity and you could say put in a small ssd for FAST storage for editing, and then a much larger hard drive as bulk storage. Laptop less so but still way more than a tablet.

i think a tablet is more of a tool to complement a bigger setup... but i've never tried doing anything serious on a tablet so can't give definitive advice
Green Screwdriver for LIFE
#20 (permalink)      6/15/2018 10:44:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Damn, FT gobbled up my post to you Hiko, heh...

I do have an ancient 10 year old tower PC with a ASIO sound card. It's fast enough to do everything even though in terms of cpu power it might not compare to some tablet devices today. What I want is something a bit more portable so I can be in spaces that are a bit more inspiring while working on stuff.

I have a fast TB of backup with firewire, plenty of scratch space on the tower. I also have a portable 100GB usb drive. Most of my bases I have covered for storage peripherals. I figure I can get a tablet, a wireless keyboard/mouse and a usb hub for the rest. The keyboard doubles as a piano keyboard on most tracker software.

I am looking at the Chuwi Hi10 Plus now with some pen support, SKU 5786300.
#21 (permalink)      6/15/2018 4:22:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
Hiko9 wrote:

If my previous suggestion about used towers (which could be done for same price or less than that tablet) is not a goer because needs to be very compact or portable, you'll still get a lot more for your money with a used laptop, like a lenovo thinkpad with a 2nd or 3rd gen intel core in it.

I’m using a Lenovo Thinkpad with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it does a fine job. So far it has handled songs with 20+ tracks, and many are audio.

I setup this Lenovo rig to have a portable clone of my main desktop system so I could go to other musician’s homes, play the song, add 1 or 2 new tracks, then insert them into the song on my main system. This works well when it’s a PITA for musicians to transport multiple instruments/gear (sometimes heavy) when I can travel lite with a few small light cases. We record audio with headphones but I also have sets of small 3” & 5” monitors to listen to the playback for quality.

What I’m saying is if I can transfer tracks recorded by my Lenovo to my $3,000 Spectral rackmount system without any sound loss, then anyone could use a Lenovo as a primary system.