shopping cart empty
Could a tablet do music production?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      6/12/2018 4:02:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
Could a tablet do music production?
I was thinking of using a windows tablet for running something like Renoise for tracker based sequencing and music making. It's been a long time since I looked into what tablets are capable of and I would be looking at something like a cheap 10" tablet pc with the basics and running Windows 10 Home...

I was able to run a tracker on an old AMD desktop machine running at 1.2 Ghz with a GB of ram, but I don't know how that compares in terms of speed with a tablet. Most of the tablets I'm looking at have these basic specs:

SoC : Intel Atom x5-Z8300 or x5-Z8350
CPU : Intel Cherry Trail, 1840 MHz, Cores : 4
GPU : Intel HD Graphics, 500 MHz
RAM : 4 GB, 1600 MHz
Storage : 64 GB
Memory cards : microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC
Display: 10.1 in, IPS, 1920 x 1200 pixels, 24 bit

Is there a reason why this wouldn't work? Am I ahead of my time, hehe?

It would be cool to setup a USB hub and add a keyboard controller and other peripherals to make such a setup truly modular.
#2 (permalink)      6/12/2018 10:38:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
poulw
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 266
  • Reviews 32
  • Kudos221
+1 details
totally doable-I make beats on my ipad with a number of apps and export to live on a pc

a lot of people have made decent music with tablets- the Gorillaz created a cd made only with ipad apps. My opinion is that the ipad is still a little bit ahead of the curve in terms of apps and workflow for music creation but in a year or two the OS/App choice won't matter.
If you want to use more than one peripheral however, you should go with a lap top (in my opinion)- more choices, more features.
#3 (permalink)      6/12/2018 10:52:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
Yeah, Apple is more geared for multimedia, but I have a fondness for PC for its flexibility. That and I can do this without spending a lot of money. Most of the software I like is purely Windows and not so hard disk intensive, it's more cpu intensive (soft synths and samplers).

The tablets I'm looking at are hybrid tablet/laptops and I've been looking specifically for nice hardware ports, like audio in/out and USB 3.1, etc.
#4 (permalink)      6/12/2018 2:17:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2214
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1915
+1 details
Windows is good as well. Just avoid anything Android - the way the audio syscalls work in Android, you'll never get anything synchronized before that unfortunate day when your neighbours are telling the reporters how you seemed like such a nice, quiet person and they don't know how it could have happened.
#5 (permalink)      6/12/2018 4:39:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
mrjohs
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 515
  • Reviews 39
  • Kudos325
+1 details
essellar wrote:

Windows is good as well. Just avoid anything Android - the way the audio syscalls work in Android, you'll never get anything synchronized before that unfortunate day when your neighbours are telling the reporters how you seemed like such a nice, quiet person and they don't know how it could have happened.

Some are actually not too bad.

See http://superpowered.com/latency

#6 (permalink)      6/12/2018 5:36:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+1 details
I would go with Windows too. My main reason is the hardware manufactures provide & update drivers that can be set to fit your options in your program. In other words at least I could find what I was searching for in a Windows bases system.

The Akai Professional MPC Touch Pad Controller and a good Windows based laptop are- a good combination and portable. Combine it with Reason and one can get PRO results from a retail system.
#7 (permalink)      6/13/2018 12:41:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
As a continuation of what was talked about on that monster thread...

I like windows too. I've had an Apple G4 sitting around gathering dust but I preferred the apps on windows. I might be able to connect the old balanced input box from it for this new arrangement.

I actually started tracker music on a 486 with a 1 GB hard drive and noname 16bit soundcard, back in DOS and Win 3.11.
#8 (permalink)      6/13/2018 12:49:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Story_Time
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 1932
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos11259
+1 details
Is there any way to copy or image a Windows computer to disks or a drive, and run it on Linux or something like that, in a virtual machine maybe? I really don't want to get anything new that's Windows or Apple.

I have stuff on this old laptop I can't transfer, like an old copy of Reason I'd really like to use in a new computer...wish I could save some of this stuff.

Would something like that be possible and is it hard to do?
Ad astra
#9 (permalink)      6/13/2018 1:22:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2214
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1915
+2 details
You can run a Windows installation in a Linux-hosted VM, yes, but you still need the Windows install, even if it's only something you launch occasionally. There's also Wine (www.winehq.org) that runs a lot of, but not all, Windows applications in Linux by adding a Linux subsystem that understands Windows syscalls - they go out of their way to make most of the mainstream WIndows apps work, but anything that bypasses Windows APIs or relies on undocumented/accidental behaviour (things that shouldn't work but do - every system has pieces like that) may not work or may suddenly exhibit weird "bugs" they don't have on real Windows. And if you don't need to run Linux programs at the same time, you'll get far better performance with a dual-boot setup (Windows or Linux, rather than Windows in Linux).
#10 (permalink)      6/13/2018 1:33:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Story_Time
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 1932
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos11259
+1 details
Thanks, I had some luck running programs in Wine. I'm still deciding if it's all more trouble than it's worth, or if I should just start fresh. Not even sure if I still have the old Windows install disks -- I think I see what you are getting at. I hear Linux has a pretty decent free DAW to start with.
Ad astra
#11 (permalink)      6/13/2018 2:57:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Apparently Renoise, the app that I want to use, runs in linux too, but it's too technician like for me - linux that is. I get lost enough just using windows. Apple is like a dictatorship, there's only one way to do something and Linux is like allocating a buffer for disk reads. Windows is my compromise as much as I hate the creepy neoliberal agenda it sets, hehe.