shopping cart empty
Why only 6months warranty
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      2/19/2016 5:46:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
menos
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 16
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
Why only 6months warranty
Hey everybody.

Kind of new here. I've been wanting to buy some items from FastTech for some time now, but there are 2 things which prevent me from doing so up to now.

1) Only 6-months warranty: I don't understand why this is so, when most well-known Chinese e-shops provide a full 12-months warranty.

What is the warranty offered by manufacturers like Xiaomi, Meizu, Teclast, Cube, Chuwi etc for their products? If it is 12 months, why shorten this period for your customers?

Although in my experience a tablet that survives its first 3months of use is unlikely to present a problem for the remaining year, it has happened to many people buying from China that a use of the warranty was necessary after the 6months period.

2) The start of the 6-month warranty from the date of shipment, not receipt: Equally puzzling.

Given the great delays that from time to time haunt the Asia > Europe / US shipments, and with a median wait time being around 3-4 weeks, having your warranty already diminished by 1/6 by the time you receive the product you ordered is a further deterring factor.

When people buy electronic products from China, their greatest concern is not the price, but after-sales service and warranty...
...price becomes a defining factor ONLY if people have little to no trust concerning proper warranty treatment.

Also, from what I can deduce from my experience in forums back home, the most successful Chinese e-shops are the ones providing good after-sales.
That means that if Chinese Exporters took warranty/aftersales more seriously, they would get an even larger amount of orders from Buyers in Europe/US.

Seen in this light, FastTech's policy of
- limiting warranty to 6 months (or what Paypal imposes as warranty)
- counting the start of warranty from the shipment date

only deters people from buying...

Hell, it took me 7 days to find the courage to place an order, despite the 20-15% discount, and I changed my mind in less than 8 hours and requested cancellation...all because of the warranty policy.

So what is the rationale behind? Why does FastTech choose to limit the warranty?

Does the possible higher cost of servicing a bought product within the extra 6 months saving FastTech more money that it would get, had it extended its warranty to 12 months?

I would honestly like to know how FastTech views this.

Thank you.
#2 (permalink)      2/19/2016 5:49:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
johnny_469
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 23118
  • Reviews 288
  • Kudos27287
+1 details
I don't have any issue at all with FT's terms.

They're better than 99% of other shops out there, and their CS is generally a LOT better too.

Also, if you want a better warranty, you generally have to pay higher prices.

You generally get what you pay for here at least, and if you pay attention to the reviews and product discussions, you can have a much easier time of picking out the good stuff before you buy.
Woah, mama!
#3 (permalink)      2/19/2016 6:47:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
menos
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 16
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
johnny_469 wrote:

I don't have any issue at all with FT's terms.

They're better than 99% of other shops out there, and their CS is generally a LOT better too.

Also, if you want a better warranty, you generally have to pay higher prices.

You generally get what you pay for here at least, and if you pay attention to the reviews and product discussions, you can have a much easier time of picking out the good stuff before you buy.

Did you ever need to use the warranty within the 6 months spectrum and after that?

If it didn't happen that you needed it, then your lack of issues with the terms of the warranty is kind of theoretical and abstract.

I would also consider the percentage you are referring to as extravagant; there are plenty of shops with full warranty on products which also have better prices..
...still, let's assume it is a you say (which is not)...I won't consider shops that are unreliable, I would only buy from shops which are established for years and have a record on market presence at least...
If that leaves me comparing shops of the rest 1% so be it, but these are the only shops I'd buy from from, so it does not make much difference.

I am only asking this question in here, because I have heard mostly good things about FastTech...so I wondering
- "Why would a reliable shop, deter possible clients with a cut-down warranty, which is what most people look at when they pay more than 200 euros for a product they need reliability from (e.g. a pricier device and not some pc accessory) and more so, when the original manufacturer himself offers 12months warranty?

These other shops (I find it indiscrete to name them here)
- offer 12 months of warranty and
- for most of them, these terms apply from the date of RECEIPT and NOT of SHIPMENT, which I find almost ridiculous, actually.

If an e-shop cuts down on provided warranty, it gives a wrong and -very bad- message to prospective customers
1) that it finds it necessary to provide warranty only for as long as it is forced to by Paypal
2) that it is eager to make money out of warranty-use, even if the manufacturer provides free-warranty.

Hell, I am forced by circumstances to be extremely price-conscious consumer and I would have saved 50$ had I used the 20% coupon that FastTech had posted, but I didn't because I put some measure of midterm aftersales service first...
I wouldn't want to have to pay extra money 6 months for purchase, especially if the Manufacturer provides large warranty.

So FastTech, a reliable company from what I hear, has missed at least one Buyer, because it has a counter-productive warranty policy...

..and since it is a reliable company, why does it adopt these TOS in the first place?
As I said before, does a POTENTIAL/HYPOTHETICAL extra cost of providing a full 12month warranty balance the ACTUAL loss of customers, because of that warranty policy?

Cant get my head around it.

Edited on 2/19/2016 at 6:48 AM. Reason:
#4 (permalink)      2/19/2016 6:59:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Pafapaf
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 13895
  • Reviews 16
  • Kudos21951
+2 details
Having to use the warranty is a user failure to buy items that don't suddenly break
#5 (permalink)      2/19/2016 7:03:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
johnny_469
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 23118
  • Reviews 288
  • Kudos27287
+4 details
So you're only here to smear FT, as someone who never bought here then?

Are you employed by a company.that sells any of the same items as FT?

Your problem with FT Is pretty fishy if you ask me...

Edited on 2/19/2016 at 7:04 AM. Reason:
Woah, mama!
#6 (permalink)      2/19/2016 7:08:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
menos
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 16
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
What's pretty fishy to me is

- instead of getting a rationalized answer on a company choice (not much to ask)
- "independent" members only intervene to make it seem like product failure is a user-choice failure and questions are smear campaign.

I would rather wait for a FastTech employee to respond, since it is obvious no mode of honest dialogue can occur with you two.
#7 (permalink)      2/19/2016 7:14:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
johnny_469
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 23118
  • Reviews 288
  • Kudos27287
Next time open a ticket instead of trying to air out dirty laundry in public...
Woah, mama!
#8 (permalink)      2/19/2016 7:19:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vostock
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 19250
  • Reviews 361
  • Kudos21739
+1 details
menos - It's 6 momths because FT have chosen a 6 month cut off and actual paying customers seem ok with it, try buying something (I'm sure your employer will lend you some cash) and see how it goes then get back to us....Looking forward to it.
#9 (permalink)      2/19/2016 7:26:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Pafapaf
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 13895
  • Reviews 16
  • Kudos21951
+1 details

Hell, it took me 7 days to find the courage to place an order

Courage? Wtf is wrong with you. In 7 days you didn't take 10min to read this forum and find out most people here have been buying from FT for years without any warranty problems. Such extreme worrying worries me.

#10 (permalink)      2/19/2016 7:28:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
rangermsr
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 7958
  • Reviews 29
  • Kudos12023
+1 details
6 months is plenty of time to know if a product is defective, at which time ( if it is ) FT will take care of it.

I've personally never had any major issues with them, but the few minor ones were handled well above, beyond what any other company would have done.

You are in good hands here. So order away....or miss out. The choice is yours :)
unrealistic expectations lend to disappointment
#11 (permalink)      2/19/2016 7:33:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
r3p3nt
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 4549
  • Reviews 179
  • Kudos9478
+1 details
menos wrote:

I would rather wait for a FastTech employee to respond, since it is obvious no mode of honest dialogue can occur with you two.

If you didn't want input from members here you shouldn't have asked for it.

menos wrote:

Hey everybody.

Edited on 2/19/2016 at 7:34 AM. Reason: