shopping cart empty
Rip Trippers quits vaping and reviewing
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:16:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
amiable wrote:

So if I have Patreons, but don't do giveaways, that's acceptable?
Honestly, I don't see how giving away products should effect my credibility in the slightest, unless I'm giving out review scores that don't reflect the true nature of the product to hype up a giveaway

Still clinging to the concept that providing 'free kit' to people that pay a Reviewer, kit that's been provided by the company product you're reviewing, is a givaway?

You do realise that half the 'Reviewer' Patreon members out there are only on Patreon for the chance of getting some freebies? If the Patreon givaways stopped overnight, so would half their Patreon subscribers! ;-)

#32 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:18:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
+1 details
amiable wrote:

So if I have Patreons, but don't do giveaways, that's acceptable?
Honestly, I don't see how giving away products should effect my credibility in the slightest, unless I'm giving out review scores that don't reflect the true nature of the product to hype up a giveaway

amiable wrote:

For example, if I rate a product 20/100, but do a giveaway, am I a shill?

You're jumping all over the place mate. The discussion is whether the big YT reviewers get paid to do reviews or not. Do they? Yes they do.

There's nothing wrong with that, they just have to admit it.

Edited on 6/30/2020 at 4:20 AM. Reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#33 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:19:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
And so would all your valuable vaping resources. My point remains, if I give, sponsor, whatever you want to call it, a product that I've rated 20/100 or even 1/100, does that still make be a shill?
#34 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:24:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+1 details
djvillan wrote:

The discussion is whether the big YT reviewers get paid to do reviews or not. Do they? Yes they do.

Yes, indeed they do, both directly and indirectly.

Let's prepare ourselves for the inevitable fallout from many YT 'Reviewers' as they go on the defensive as people start to examine a little more closely all those hidden revenue streams, and previous denials that they're paid to do what they do.

djvillan wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that, they just have to admit it.

I honestly can't see most of them doing that. After so long denying they get paid in any way, backtracking would be difficult.

Edited on 6/30/2020 at 4:31 AM. Reason:
#35 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:29:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
djvillan wrote:

You're jumping all over the place mate. The discussion is whether the big YT reviewers get paid to do reviews or not. Do they? Yes they do.

No I am not. You're saying no reviewers that have any form of revenue from streams like Patreon can be trusted, I disagree respectfully. Yes, most big reviewers get paid to rate a product somehow (from vendors or otherwise). What I'm saying is, indirect payments from supporters should not automatically make a reviewer a shill.

We get revenue from supporters and do giveaways to those supporters to keep them on board. This does not automatically make us dishonest. If a product is shit, we say so.

Other reviewers, like Trip and Vic get paid, by vendors to give products a good rating. This is unacceptable and should be seen in a different light than Patreon supported

To clarify my point further:

Rip Trippers: Paid by vendors for positive reviews
Jai Haze: Paid by vendors for priority uploads. Paid by a certain German vendor to "promote" a certain fun brand
Vic: Paid by vendors for positive reviews
Zophie: Paid by vendors to "promote" products
Fagan: Paid by vendors to "promote" products on live streams
Bogan: Receives no payment from vendors, relies on Patreon and merchandise for revenue
Shedguy: Receives no payment from vendors. Relies on donations and raffles for revenue.

I've left out a few, but the it's much over muchness

#36 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:31:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
analogueman wrote:

djvillan wrote:The discussion is whether the big YT reviewers get paid to do reviews or not. Do they? Yes they do.Yes, indeed they do, both directly and indirectly. Let's prepare ourselves for the inevitable fallout from many YT 'Reviewers' as they go on the defensive as people start to examine a little more closely all those hidden revenue streams, and previous denials that they're paid to do what they do.djvillan wrote:There's nothing wrong with that, they just have to admit it.I honestly can't see most of them doing that. After so so long denying they get paid in any way, backtracking would be difficult.

Any reviewer denying revenue streams need to be shot, period

#37 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:32:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
The easiest way to break it down is a guy hired as a reviewer by a company, for example, a product reviewer for a magazine. The magazine gets sent free products to review which they then get their employee to review the product. The manufacturer doesn't pay him to do the review, his employer pays him to do his job, ie review products. The reviewer doesn't get to keep the product after the review is published, nor does he get any of the proceeds if the product is given away.

A YT reviewer on the other hand gets free products to review, promote, advertise, create hype, influence sales and gets paid for it by the manufacturer. It's in the best interest for that reviewer to keep on the good side of the manufacturer or chances are he won't be getting free products to review from that manufacturer in the future. I'm sure you've seen that scenario happen among the big reviewers.
#38 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:32:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
amiable wrote:

Any reviewer denying revenue streams need to be shot, period

You'd need a lot of bullets! ;-)

#39 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:35:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
djvillan wrote:

The easiest way to break it down is a guy hired as a reviewer by a company, for example, a product reviewer for a magazine. The magazine gets sent free products to review which they then get their employee to review the product. The manufacturer doesn't pay him to do the review, his employer pays him to do his job, ie review products. The reviewer doesn't get to keep the product after the review is published, nor does he get any of the proceeds if the product is given away.

A YT reviewer on the other hand gets free products to review, promote, advertise, create hype, influence sales and gets paid for it by the manufacturer. It's in the best interest for that reviewer to keep on the good side of the manufacturer or chances are he won't be getting free products to review from that manufacturer in the future. I'm sure you've seen that scenario happen among the big reviewers.

Not always the case. Yes, some vendors will stop sending you products, but not always. Geekvape for example send you a survey to see where they can improve and keep you on the review list. This is why the Boost Plus was born.

No doubt, there are many reviewers that fear getting striked from the recipient list, these do not belong in the community. We are not all like that though

#40 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:35:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
@amiable what's your YT channel?
#41 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:35:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
analogueman wrote:

amiable wrote: