shopping cart empty
Rip Trippers quits vaping and reviewing
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.
Thread Tools Rate This Thread


Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:40:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
djvillan
Member
+3 details
If you do something purely out of passion, then you absorb all the time and costs involved. I purchase 95% of the products I own and get around 5% for free to review. I'm not a Youtuber, I don't ask for payment, just send me a product and I'll review it in my own time and my own expense.

Edited on 6/30/2020 at 3:45 AM. Reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#22 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:44:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
analogueman
Member
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+1 details
amiable wrote:

My point though is, receiving payment to directly influence a products rating is immoral. Receiving payment through other means to keep your stream running (and not influence scores) is fine. In my opinion of course


If you want to talk about morals, how about YT 'Reviewers' finally breaking the mould and publicly coming clean about the indirect revenue stream they receive from supplied company product? How many would be prepared to do that do you think?

I'm not talking about revealing actual figures, just admitting that their revenue is indirectly reliant on the very companies whose products they purport to review?

#23 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:44:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
djvillan
Member
amiable wrote:

Rip Trippers was paid for positive reviews and was paid for using and praising certain products in his reviews. If he says this isn't true, I have the proof, directly from the vendors and happy to share.

I admit, I haven't watched any of the videos, if I'm in the wrong, I apologise

See now you're the one generalizing simply because you have proof about some products he reviewed. Unless you have proof regarding every single product he reviewed then you're wasting your time.

Just to make it clear I don't like Rip or 99% of the other YT reviewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#24 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:45:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
Member
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
So I can't make my hobby or passion a full time job?
Cool, I do this for a living, that automatically means I don't have a passion for it?
If I don't have a revenue stream, I have no job. If I have no job, I can't pay hosting fees or salaries to my team.

What your saying makes absolutely no sense
#25 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:47:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
djvillan
Member
amiable wrote:

So I can't make my hobby or passion a full time job?
Cool, I do this for a living, that automatically means I don't have a passion for it?
If I don't have a revenue stream, I have no job. If I have no job, I can't pay hosting fees or salaries to my team.

What your saying makes absolutely no sense

Of course you can make money from a hobby and turn it into your full time job, that's what I did with dj'ing. But unlike these YT reviewers I don't deny it or try to hide it. Time is money and nothing is free.


Edited on 6/30/2020 at 3:51 AM. Reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#26 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:52:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
Member
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
Sure, I get paid by people who enjoy my content. No one reviewer is hiding that. Every YT reviewer has a patreon or similar page where members pay for certain privileges. They advertise this on their videos. Who is hiding that and if they are, they are scum.
The discussion here is who is getting paid by vendors to influence a rating. This is called promotional posts by vendors.

Am I in the wrong here with my understanding of the post?
#27 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:02:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
djvillan
Member
amiable wrote:

Sure, I get paid by people who enjoy my content. No one reviewer is hiding that. Every YT reviewer has a patreon or similar page where members pay for certain privileges. They advertise this on their videos. Who is hiding that and if they are, they are scum.
The discussion here is who is getting paid by vendors to influence a rating. This is called promotional posts by vendors.

Am I in the wrong here with my understanding of the post?

Because they can't hide it. Before Patreon, Subscribe Star and Super Chat they still got paid. Ads, sponsorship, paid reviews, jump the queue fees, etc.

Bottom line is they're all promoters/advertisers/shills/influencers. They're not even designers. It's about time they admit what the smart people already know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#28 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:02:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
analogueman
Member
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+2 details
amiable wrote:

The discussion here is who is getting paid by vendors to influence a rating. This is called promotional posts by vendors.


If someone's reliant revenue (income) is either directly or indirectly generated by the very companies whose products a Reviewer is reviewing, I find it impossible to accept that they can ever hope to be 100% impartial. To do otherwise would be to risk financially cutting their own throat.

#29 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:06:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
Member
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
So if I have Patreons, but don't do giveaways, that's acceptable?
Honestly, I don't see how giving away products should effect my credibility in the slightest, unless I'm giving out review scores that don't reflect the true nature of the product to hype up a giveaway
#30 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:07:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
Member
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
For example, if I rate a product 20/100, but do a giveaway, am I a shill?
#31 (permalink)      6/30/2020 4:16:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
analogueman
Member
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
amiable wrote:

So if I have Patreons, but don't do giveaways, that's acceptable?
Honestly, I don't see how giving away products should effect my credibility in the slightest, unless I'm giving out review scores that don't reflect the true nature of the product to hype up a giveaway


Still clinging to the concept that providing 'free kit' to people that pay a Reviewer, kit that's been provided by the company product you're reviewing, is a givaway?

You do realise that half the 'Reviewer' Patreon members out there are only on Patreon for the chance of getting some freebies? If the Patreon givaways stopped overnight, so would half their Patreon subscribers! ;-)