shopping cart empty
Rip Trippers quits vaping and reviewing
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      6/30/2020 2:59:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
Well yes, we need to support our families too. It may not seem like hard work to churn out a video, but it's more than an 8-5 job, that I assure you.

I have no issue with handing out products to paid supporters, but that's completely different to accepting money from the vendor in favor of a good review. Hey Jai!
#12 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:07:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+3 details
amiable wrote:

I have no issue with handing out products to paid supporters, but that's completely different to accepting money from the vendor in favor of a good review.

They're one and the same thing.

One is direct payment, the other is indirect payment. At the end of the day, money is received, regardless whether it's cash in hand from the manufacturer, or (essentially) for 'selling' supplied kit onwards for the money.

#13 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:11:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
+1 details
I don't agree.
Money from a vendor ensures a product gets a good review
Money from Patreons does not ensure a product gets a good review
#14 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:16:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
+3 details
They all get paid, one way or another. It's the old 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch your back' scenario. If these reviewers did it for what they claim, ie passion, they wouldn't be looking to get money from any source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#15 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:25:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
+2 details
Careful of generalization. Ad revenue and supporters (we do not do giveaways to supporters) are our only revenue streams. Without these, we would not exist. There is a distinct difference between this and accepting payment for positive reviews which is a no go for us.

Running costs for a fully fledged review site are astronomical and that excludes salaries to the team
#16 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:29:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+2 details
amiable wrote:

I don't agree.
Money from a vendor ensures a product gets a good review
Money from Patreons does not ensure a product gets a good review

Whether you agree or not, my point remains - many 'Reviewers' are still being paid, regardless how you choose to wrap it.

Indirect payment via give-aways is merely a sanitised method of receiving payment for services rendered, so they can legitimately claim not to receive any payment from the manufacturer. No, not directly they don't...

Edited on 6/30/2020 at 3:30 AM. Reason:
#17 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:32:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
+2 details
I agree, there is payment involved. All reviewers receive payment, either from vendors, supporters or via ad revenue.
My point though is, receiving payment to directly influence a products rating is immoral. Receiving payment through other means to keep your stream running (and not influence scores) is fine. In my opinion of course
#18 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:33:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1635
+1 details
djvillan wrote:

They all get paid, one way or another. It's the old 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch your back' scenario. If these reviewers did it for what they claim, ie passion, they wouldn't be looking to get money from any source.

Yeah, years ago, that's how it used to be. Today on the other hand... :-(

#19 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:35:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
+1 details
amiable wrote:

Careful of generalization. Ad revenue and supporters (we do not do giveaways to supporters) are our only revenue streams. Without these, we would not exist. There is a distinct difference between this and accepting payment for positive reviews which is a no go for us.

Running costs for a fully fledged review site are astronomical and that excludes salaries to the team

I understand you but the only one thinking we're talking about reviewers accepting payment for a positive review is you. Not even Rip claimed he was paid to do positive reviews. He was paid to do reviews as he stated.

#20 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:40:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
amiable
  • JoinedMay 2018
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos33
Rip Trippers was paid for positive reviews and was paid for using and praising certain products in his reviews. If he says this isn't true, I have the proof, directly from the vendors and happy to share.

I admit, I haven't watched any of the videos, if I'm in the wrong, I apologise
#21 (permalink)      6/30/2020 3:40:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
+3 details
If you do something purely out of passion, then you absorb all the time and costs involved. I purchase 95% of the products I own and get around 5% for free to review. I'm not a Youtuber, I don't ask for payment, just send me a product and I'll review it in my own time and my own expense.

Edited on 6/30/2020 at 3:45 AM. Reason: