shopping cart empty
The Bread Thread
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      4/4/2020 9:21:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26076
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20920
+2 details
Still.Me wrote:

LOL

Everyones going to be soooo overweight after this is all over.

LOL... I guess that is my blessing... One of the few medical issues I don't have... BMI 23

We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#32 (permalink)      4/4/2020 9:28:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 10855
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos16755
+1 details
Vapor wrote:

LOL... I guess that is my blessing... One of the few medical issues I don't have... BMI 23

You are fortunate then.

I gained 4 pounds last week just from two weeks of pizzas and pastas and a few slices of bread.
Was emotionally eating but put a halt to that quickly.

I do think I gained 2 just from reading these bread threads 😁

#33 (permalink)      4/4/2020 9:29:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26076
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20920
ambrougham wrote:

I'm well aware of sourdough and so on but it's something I've never bothered with to date because I always thought there was a need to keep the starter at a reasonable and stable warm(ish) temperature. Neither sensibly warm nor stable is ever going to happen in my place !!! I was about to give it a go mind you if I couldn't pick some generic yeast before I actually ran out. Guess I really need to do some reading up and then give it a proper go sometime if it actually is something I can achieve reliably :) The benefit of generic yeast is that it is pretty much a guaranteed result unless you do something really stupid.

I'm not a sourdough fan myself... It's actually quite simple... Once you have a good starter going it can last years giving consistent results... It stores wonderful in the fridge... It's how bread was made for thousands of years... We have the benefit of refrigeration to simplify it further...

Edited on 4/4/2020 at 9:31 AM. Reason:
We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#34 (permalink)      4/4/2020 12:45:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+1 details
I just grated a cup and a bit of old cheddar cheese, spread it out on a plate then spread 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese beside it. Covered that up and left the plate out to warm up for a couple hours.

The rest of the ingredients are lukewarm water, salt, liquid honey, powdered mild, white flour, fully cooked smoked bacon, dried chives and yeast in that order for a bread machine. The cheese will go in on top of the flour.

My apologies to those without ingredients, here's hoping you're supplied soon.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#35 (permalink)      4/4/2020 12:49:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ambrougham
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 596
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1103
+1 details
#36 (permalink)      4/4/2020 2:19:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13023
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos20584
+1 details

Once you have a good starter going it can last years giving consistent results...

There is a local bakery, operating for the last 20 years or so, owned by a European lady who brought, when she immigrated, her sour dough starter that she inherited from her mother, who got it from her mother....and so on. This starter is uninterrupted, for at least, 3 generations. It is difficult to imagine how many loaves have been made from just this one starter.

I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#37 (permalink)      4/4/2020 2:50:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 10855
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos16755
Homemade bread must be a popular hobby this week.

Was just in my. local FB group as I had donated 2 different dog cages my pup had outgrown to a local rescue group and I see several messages about sour dough and yeast.

Stores and pictures where yeast can be found in buik. Or someone asking for sourdough starter. Someone responding yes with their address for a porch pickup.
Quite the trend this week.
#38 (permalink)      4/4/2020 8:26:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3938
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos4456
Home made foccacia is my fave. Maybe this lockdown will make us all rethink about what the staff of life really is. Bread in any form has been mankind's staple for eons. We all should be able to bake a loaf.
#39 (permalink)      4/6/2020 5:56:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
My favourite sweet spreads loaf. Poppy seeds, honey and thyme, heavy on the poppy seeds, honey and thyme. This is the second kneading, it's just beginning to clear its orbit

Edited on 4/9/2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason:
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#40 (permalink)      4/7/2020 2:13:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Devil_666
  • JoinedApr 2020
  • Posts 15
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0

#41 (permalink)      4/9/2020 11:18:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+1 details
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Spam