shopping cart empty
The Bread Thread
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      4/4/2020 12:22:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13027
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos20606
+3 details
In my "world", the bread that comes out of my oven is the "best"....that makes me the "best" bread baker in the "world", hands down. But we need a nationalistic competition....or do we?

Fresh tandoorie naan can't be beat but hey.....its just an opinion. Its all a matter of taste.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#12 (permalink)      4/4/2020 12:25:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13027
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos20606
+1 details

why wouldn’t you?

Oh, because bought bread is bragging bread.....or is it?

I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#13 (permalink)      4/4/2020 12:42:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10294
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6626
+1 details
Cant find yeast here to make bread... hoarders. But the last few days we had alot of sale in beer, coincidentally after i told a few customers to use beer for its yeast, the last 2 weeks. Lmao
In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#14 (permalink)      4/4/2020 12:51:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
+1 details
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#15 (permalink)      4/4/2020 1:12:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10294
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6626
djvillan wrote:
[quote][/quote]

Nah

Edited on 4/4/2020 at 1:12 AM. Reason:
In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#16 (permalink)      4/4/2020 5:30:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ambrougham
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 596
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1103
+1 details
I've been baking all my own bread for donkey's years, no machine or anything, entirely by hand. Problem just now is that there's been no flour or yeast on the shelf at any of the several local supermarkets/shops for the past month. None available from any of the places that I usually use for bulk supplies various either :(

Did get lucky and managed to pick up some yeast today though ... which almost made the 5 minute walk ( followed by around an hour poncing around to get into the d@mn place when the doors finally opened and then back out again ) sort-of worth the effort I spose. Not the usual stuff so some 'experimentation' no doubt going to be needed to get vaguely sensible/reliable results but at least I should now be able to continue for several more weeks until my last bulk flour purchase has gone. Hopefully supplies various will get back to something vaguely like normal sometime soon(ish) and before I start running out of something again.

I hate shopping on a good day, even when it's almost always in-and-out in a couple of mins. Shopping is a necessary evil and definitely NOT any form of pastime or pleasure. Never any browsing just a mission to pick up exactly what is needed as quickly as possible and get outta the place. It's a right old PITA at the mo with all the poncing about and almost a need to plan a military campaign well in advance ... just to find out that they still haven't got what you actually want ! The amount of stuff still being shoveled into multiple trolleys still beggars belief, as does the number of muppets still aimlessly wandering around just looking at everything despite knowing there's a significant queue outside waiting.

Edited on 4/4/2020 at 5:59 AM. Reason:
#17 (permalink)      4/4/2020 5:46:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 10881
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos16813
+3 details
Hmm. Well, I don't eat much bread BUT perhaps its time to make my own, at least once.
Afraid I might like it too much though. 🥺

In the past I have purchased 2 new bread machines but a year later, sold them unopened.

Think I have a bag of flour. Might be 2 years old though?
I don't use flour as a rule but the rare times I do, I just make oat flour or buy almond flour.
Neither of which I imagine bakes bread 😛

I wanted to shoot a woman yesterday.
Trying to avoid shopping but had to pick up 9. items yesterday. Stood in the self check out line for 45 f*****ing minutes.
A woman was using the self checkout for $900 worth of groceries so you can imagine how long it took her to do each one plus bag them.
Her son was doing another $300 beside her.
She was enormous.

Never noticed if yeast or flour were available on my trips as I don't use either but will grab some if I do see it, on my next death defying trip to the market. 😛

* I did make flat bread with oat flour once but wasn't my thing.

Edited on 4/4/2020 at 5:48 AM. Reason:
#18 (permalink)      4/4/2020 7:12:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26076
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20920
+3 details
Buying yeast? what sort pf survivalist are you? Back when you either baked your own bread or didn't have bread they didn't buy yeast... It can be found on all sorts of things in the wild... For example your neighbors apple tree...

Once you have a starter toss it in the fridge and feed it from time to time...
We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#19 (permalink)      4/4/2020 7:28:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26076
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20920
+1 details
Instructions

Day 1) Mix together 1/4 c. water & 1/4 c. flour. Pour into a clean mason jar and cover with a thin cloth & a rubber band. Place in a cool, shady place outside among greenery. (next to a tree or bush)
Day 2) Add 1/4 c. water & 1/4 c. flour to the mixture. Place back outside.
Day 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) Repeat Day 2 instructions.
Day 10) Add 1/4 c. water & 1/4 c. flour to the mixture, pour into clean jar & place INSIDE FRIDGE.
Day 11,12, 13, 14, 15, 16) Add 1/4 c. water & 1/4 c. flour, pour into clean jar, & place back INSIDE FRIDGE.
Day 17) It's ready to use in recipes!

If you want sourdough leave it inside on the counter...
We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#20 (permalink)      4/4/2020 7:43:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5213
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos3731
+3 details
So far my bread making planed adventure has been ruined by the lack of yeast at the store. Apparently I was not far enough ahead of the idea that bread making might be a fun thing to do.
#21 (permalink)      4/4/2020 7:58:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26076
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20920
+1 details
EternalSpline wrote:

So far my bread making planed adventure has been ruined by the lack of yeast at the store. Apparently I was not far enough ahead of the idea that bread making might be a fun thing to do.

Pies are more fun ;)