shopping cart empty
The Bread Thread
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/3/2020 5:09:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+4 details
The Bread Thread
Cutting through the flour confusion like a hot knife through butter:

All-Purpose Canada: 100% hard wheat. Can be used for anything; America: 75% hard and 25% soft. Not recommended for bread; UK: Plain flour. Not recommended for bread.

Bread Flour Canada: Exceptionally high gluten flour made for commercial bakeries; America: High gluten content for home bread-making; equivalent of Canadian all-purpose; UK: High gluten content for home bread-making; equivalent of Canadian all-purpose. Also called “strong flour.”

Plain Flour Canada: Used as Canadians use “all-purpose” flour, except can’t be used for bread; America: Equivalent of American all-purpose flour, including unsuitability for bread; UK: Used like all-purpose flour, but can’t be used for bread.

Strong Flour Canada: British term for bread flour. Use all-purpose in Canada; America: British term for bread flour. Use bread flour; UK: Used throughout UK for bread.

Whole Wheat Flour Same in Canada, America and Britain.

If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#2 (permalink)      4/3/2020 5:18:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+3 details
Brown flour (whole wheat) vs white flour

Brown flour is the "whole grain" including the skin or the "bran". White flour is just sifted brown flour that removes some of the bran. All of the gluten is in the grain, not the bran, so the more bran you remove (finer sifting) the more your bread will rise.

Edited on 4/3/2020 at 5:20 PM. Reason:
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#3 (permalink)      4/3/2020 5:46:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 9819
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11102
+1 details
Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast is good. I like the jar better than the packs.

lukewarm water activates the yeast.

5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 (4-1/2 tsp.) Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter OR margarine

Place 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°F) in a large warm bowl. Sprinkle in dry yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar; stir. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes, until foamy on top. Add remaining 1 cup water, milk, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Mix well using the medium speed of an electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.

Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. Roll each half to 12 x 7-inch rectangle. Beginning at short end of each rectangle, rollup tighly as for jelly roll. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam sides down, ingreased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.
Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle
#4 (permalink)      4/3/2020 10:02:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
+3 details
Germans are the bread experts. Largest variety and best tasting breads in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#5 (permalink)      4/3/2020 10:56:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+3 details
djvillan wrote:

Germans are the bread experts. Largest variety and best tasting breads in the world.

Yea but go to a real Indian grocery store, the flour shelves look like a library.

#6 (permalink)      4/3/2020 11:07:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
+2 details
gph61 wrote:

Yea but go to a real Indian grocery store, the flour shelves look like a library.

I'll take your word for it.

We have a bakery store on almost every corner. Even the quality, varieties and prices in supermarkets are far better than those found in specialty bakeries in any other country imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPDW0ZpgJU
#7 (permalink)      4/3/2020 11:11:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 9819
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11102
+4 details
djvillan wrote:

gph61 wrote:
Yea but go to a real Indian grocery store, the flour shelves look like a library.I'll take your word for it.

We have a bakery store on almost every corner. Even the quality, varieties and prices in supermarkets are far better than those found in specialty bakeries in any other country imo.

we have bakeries in many supermarkets too, with good prices and quality, but baked fresh at home is hard to beat. The smell alone when baking is priceless.

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle
#8 (permalink)      4/3/2020 11:13:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jubby
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 4177
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos15634
+3 details
I’ve always baked my own bread.... 🥖 why wouldn’t you?
If you want on or off the list just let me know.
#9 (permalink)      4/3/2020 11:27:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+1 details
I don't think there's any contest in religious texts, folk music and math but who thinks "let's make gravity defying bread"?

#10 (permalink)      4/3/2020 11:45:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JayJayMcKlay
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 371
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos310
Rugbrød.
The internet used to be all about spreading and sharing knowledge, but today it seems that it's mostly about spreading ignorance.
#11 (permalink)      4/4/2020 12:22:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13027
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos20605
+3 details
In my "world", the bread that comes out of my oven is the "best"....that makes me the "best" bread baker in the "world", hands down. But we need a nationalistic competition....or do we?

Fresh tandoorie naan can't be beat but hey.....its just an opinion. Its all a matter of taste.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?