shopping cart empty
Dogs
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      8/21/2019 10:47:01 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10725
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos16964
+3 details

you do it for them

If I have not learned anything else with as many animals as I am responsible for, it is this, "you do it for them". Farm life teaches a person that quality of a beings life must override our attachment to them. It does make it easier when this is considered and it really cements the bond you have with them when you do it yourself or are present at the passing. Then you know the closure of your relationship.

I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#22 (permalink)      8/21/2019 10:58:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
BerckReynols
  • JoinedAug 2019
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
+1 details
#23 (permalink)      8/21/2019 11:45:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4290
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos2788
+3 details
"It does make it easier when this is considered and it really cements the bond you have with them when you do it yourself or are present at the passing. Then you know the closure of your relationship."

My wife and I had a vet that came to our house and put him down in our living room where he had a nice bed. It was the best way it could have possibly gone in his condition. She gave him a sedative to get him completely relaxed. We got to hug him and say our goodbyes, and then when we were ready she gave him the next shot and he just went to sleep calmly.

I am glad you see it the same way on a farm, it speaks volumes about who you are.

Here is another thing to consider about dogs, they don't feel pain like we do. They are very strong, when they are in visible pain it has to be really bad. For instance my dad said he always had to x-ray pit bulls because they could come in and walk around all normally, but have broken bones. Our Jack (a lab) was jumping over something and caught his dewclaw and ripped it right off, he bled like crazy but you could hardly notice he was in any pain. My dad said this would be on the level of losing a finger. So when your dog is in visible pain it could likely be extremely bad, if your a good owner you step in, and you help them in any way you can.
#24 (permalink)      8/21/2019 2:15:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10725
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos16964
+1 details

if your a good owner you step in

I had to chuckle at this ES. Some time ago I realized just who owns who. I am owned by the animals in my care. Sometimes I would like to think its the other way round but, its just not. No matter what I do and no matter where or how far I go, my mind rests on them. I have no other priorities. But, its good this way. Actually, I would have it no other way.

My big dog Asgard got in a tussle with one of his sons, Loki, a couple weeks back and before I could step in Loki got Asgard by the upper pad on his foreleg ad ripped it half off. Asgard in the following days never even limped and when he treated the wound he only did it in private. Stoic.

#25 (permalink)      8/21/2019 2:26:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4290
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos2788
+2 details
Oh yeah I get it, I mean legally here we own them in my state, but just because the law has not figured it out.

What kind of dogs are they V8? They sound tough!

We have been trying to convince our dogs that the new couch is not there couch, the young lab gets it but our older Dane Mastiff mix is getting older (9 years) and has zero fucks left to give. If we leave the room we might come back to her on the couch. She has a big comfy dog bed but after almost 9 years of having her own spot on the couch she doesn't see the big deal in this new one.

She wore a hole in our last couch. She loves to take naps and have dreams and kick her big feet all around, it's pretty cute. She's 130 pounds, but she thinks she is a little dog.
#26 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:10:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fluffychick
  • JoinedJul 2017
  • Posts 475
  • Reviews 107
  • Kudos382
+2 details
lazyfitter wrote:

I knew it! You're a staffy owner! 😇 I've a four year old little staffy girl who also loves cats! She tries so hard to make friends with the areas cats but can't understand what she did wrong when they run away.....bless her!

Yay another staffy owner - bizarre isnt it how the cats cause the issues and our so called "devil dogs" just want to make friends with everyone and everything!

Amazing breed give your beautiful staffy a snuggle from me! xxxx

#27 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:17:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4290
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos2788
+1 details
I had to look up staffy, shit that is a pit bull lol.
#28 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:32:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10725
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos16964
+1 details
My canines are Pyrenees and Maremmas and their cross bred offspring.
#29 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:33:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 4290
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos2788
Aah very cool
#30 (permalink)      8/21/2019 4:26:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 1409
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1257
+1 details
vape8ion wrote:

Some time ago I realized just who owns who. I am owned by the animals in my care. Sometimes I would like to think its the other way round but, its just not.

That reminded of a Swedish guy who raises and farms elks.

In swedish, but the footage speaks for itself:

In swedish, but the footage speaks for itself. From @0:31
https://youtu.be/CVea_5u39Fo?t=31

Edited on 8/22/2019 at 3:26 AM. Reason:
#31 (permalink)      8/21/2019 5:33:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 934
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos346
Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.