shopping cart empty
Dogs
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/19/2019 8:45:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3319
  • Reviews 104
  • Kudos3678
+13 details
Dogs
I signed up to change.org in the UK a while ago to add my name to a few petitions, mostly animal rights. Now every day I have requests to support all sorts of issues. My in-box is under attack. Wish I'd never signed up. Followed one of the animal rights spammers to find this:

My little 15yr old terrier drips all around the house, virtually blind & deaf, our house stinks but she is family. My wish is she just goes for the big sleep of her own accord. Always been a feisty little bitch, not sure she will comply.

.7 Anyone who smacks a dog is a c**t, there is no need.
#2 (permalink)      8/19/2019 10:25:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10721
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos16949
+8 details
Thanks for posting this Russ. I have dogs, a lot of them. Though they are "working" dogs I have a personal relationship with each of them. I have found that rather than teach them, I let them teach me. I keep it simple as I have no need to have them do anything other than what is in there blood to do. They be dogs and they are excellent at it. I think where most people go astray is in not understanding the dog mind. There is a great book devoted to just that. Once a person is armed with that understanding the adage "there are no bad dogs" becomes an axiom.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#3 (permalink)      8/19/2019 10:34:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
FoxVape
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 4880
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos5225
+8 details
I had a beagle that we got when I was 5 years old and he died from a heart attack when I was 21. The smartest dog I ever seen. If I wanted to know where my brother was, he would put his beagle nose to the ground and lead me to him.
Battlestar 200W + Dvarw MTL + SS316L + Muji + 0.80ohms = MTL Perfection
#4 (permalink)      8/20/2019 3:04:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lazyfitter
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 3587
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos6947
+7 details
Sorry Russ....at first glance I thought that poster said "10 cocaine commandments!
Definitely agree, you should never have to smack a dog..... don't punish the bad.... reward the good. The sound of the owners voice should be enough to admonish any bad behaviour!
#5 (permalink)      8/20/2019 9:35:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 9186
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos10256
+3 details
vape8ion wrote:

Thanks for posting this Russ. I have dogs, a lot of them. Though they are "working" dogs I have a personal relationship with each of them. I have found that rather than teach them, I let them teach me. I keep it simple as I have no need to have them do anything other than what is in there blood to do. They be dogs and they are excellent at it. I think where most people go astray is in not understanding the dog mind. There is a great book devoted to just that. Once a person is armed with that understanding the adage "there are no bad dogs" becomes an axiom.

we have a border collie that herds us around the house

#6 (permalink)      8/20/2019 9:40:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Carlahola
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 6188
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos15718
+1 details
you should wag your horse tail...
*ROFL*
#7 (permalink)      8/20/2019 9:53:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 9186
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos10256
+3 details
Carlahola wrote:

you should wag your horse tail...
*ROFL*

heel dog

#8 (permalink)      8/20/2019 9:55:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Carlahola
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 6188
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos15718
+1 details
try wagging your finger....you seem to have some experience with that....
*shiver*
#9 (permalink)      8/20/2019 11:05:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Coops72
  • JoinedMar 2017
  • Posts 1442
  • Reviews 76
  • Kudos2166
+5 details
With the companion and service breeds, I'd agree with voice, treats and clickers etc.

But with the hunting, gaurding and defense breeds, especially the big males ... You gotta give those guys some rough treatment with regards to predatory chase, dominance and territory aggression and do it while they are young.

If they don't fear you, you aren't their Alpha and won't obey when push comes to shove.

You have to do it for the safety of other dogs and especially kids. Or if you don't want to go there, be prepared to muzzle it and never let it off lead.
Rage on you crazy diamond.
#10 (permalink)      8/20/2019 11:16:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 5640
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos8884
+4 details
True, large defense breeds.

My parents bred dobermans.
My very first memory in life at about 2 is standing on the back of the chesterfield stretching, looking out the window and watching one, Nimrod, chase a cat up a tree and jumped up, bit its tail and tore it off and then ran back home.

I must have been somewhat traumatized to remember that but those dogs were very well trained in the house and around us.
I slept with them every night in my room and they just sat guard over me.

Never hurt me....but that poor cat 🙁
Radical Leftism fried its brain! If you haven't been called a racist by a crazy leftist, you're doing something wrong!!!
#11 (permalink)      8/20/2019 12:16:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Carlahola
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 6188
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos15718
+2 details
Sunderland...
*nodding*