shopping cart empty
Trump isn't smart enough to be POTUS
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      1/21/2019 10:13:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
+1 details
TheAtl wrote:

gph61 wrote:
Trump's base are evangelical Christian. They are against science in general because evolution conflicts with their daft stories. They are against climate science in particular because FOX News tells them so. Evangelical Christians are brain-dead crop.

Btw, "Jew-Day-Oh-Christian"? 😂

True, but speaking about Christianity or any other religion as if it was a monolith can be counterproductive when trying to get a message across.

From my perspective it is a monolith. All religions are a giant pile of ignorance with minor variations causing damage and harm right across the planet.

In this case I believe what you said is very true. It is better to target the evangelicals and get the more sensible religionists on the side of rational thought.

If all you're doing is tossing idiot fallacies around all day on behalf of one political agenda you're either incredibly stupid or just punching the clock.
#32 (permalink)      1/21/2019 10:21:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 6718
  • Reviews 187
  • Kudos25515
+1 details
gph61 wrote:

It is better to target the evangelicals and get the more sensible religionists on the side of rational thought.

I'm too lazy to look up stats, but I remember studies that say the more moderate religionists would still prefer an evangelical president over a non-religious one. Which makes the moderates part of the problem, as enablers, in my book.

It's always a bit of a catch-22 anyway. The more moderates lose their religion, the more horrible the religious-group-as-a-whole gets.

#33 (permalink)      1/21/2019 11:09:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
+1 details
Religious People Distrust Atheists as Much as Rapists

They are definitely part of the problem. In this instance they might prove useful because Trump has already separated them into opposing camps.

Edited on 1/21/2019 at 2:40 PM. Reason:
If all you're doing is tossing idiot fallacies around all day on behalf of one political agenda you're either incredibly stupid or just punching the clock.
#34 (permalink)      1/21/2019 11:15:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
+1 details
Well more accurately, Trump has drawn a sharp dividing line between the camps that were already in place. The pick and mix cafeteria believers just didn't notice it until Trump.

Edited on 1/21/2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason:
#35 (permalink)      1/21/2019 11:41:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
They didn't notice because they themselves have doubts. They can't imagine somebody really believing every word. They are blind to fundies and organically create an umbrella of legitimacy for the hardcores to thrive under.

All the while labeling Skeptics bigots.

Edited on 1/21/2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason:
#36 (permalink)      1/21/2019 11:48:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
If you're not a skeptic you're an idiot by the way. Unless you've got defects of course.
#37 (permalink)      1/21/2019 12:39:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheAtl
  • JoinedApr 2016
  • Posts 4923
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos12421
+1 details
I spent quite a bit of my childhood and youth in churches and houses of prayer even though I came from a non-religious household. I have fond memories of my then best friend's father, a Baptist minister who quoted Nietzsche and Kierkegaard. I was handed the main responsibilities for overseeing the funeral of both of my parents and consoling my then girlfriend through the grief she experienced after loosing her mother and grandparents in a car accident. In short, I've had a lot of interaction with religious people, a lot of ministers and a lot of followers.

Through all of this I have met perhaps one person whose faith "Ditchkins Yeti theory of God" was applicable to. It wasn't the Baptist minister, but his fundamentalists wife, a wife he couldn't help but make fun of for her overly simplistic views.

People watch the documentary Jesus Camp and rightfully get scared, but remember that much of the movie is seen through the eyes of a highly critical Christian radio show host.

Granted, the religious climate in Norway might be very different from what is the case other places in the world. Our state church (yup, that's still a thing here, although it has quasi autonomy (don't ask me how it works, I have no clue)) has been vocal in its support of refugees, the Palestinian people and so on. Far removed from the Christian fascism that is on the rise in America. We even held an open church election recently where the electorate overwhelmingly fell on the side of "being gay is cool".

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with being critical of all religious beliefs as a matter of principle. I'm just saying that perhaps it's not productive to cast them all as the same.

Edited on 1/21/2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason:
it's been a long time since i've been me
#38 (permalink)      1/21/2019 12:50:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
I have known and do know and love lots of religious people too.

The problem with drawing distinctions between religions is you are becoming God. Who are you to say the just and caring people's version is correct and why do they deserve exemption from the alien abduction / tinfoil-hat crowd?

Show me a religionist and I'll show you a unique religion, with the possible exception of fundies with short books.
#39 (permalink)      1/21/2019 1:03:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
Maybe it's a bit of a "there be dragons" thing too? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean that in a quisitive way.
#40 (permalink)      1/21/2019 1:11:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 20954
  • Reviews 18
  • Kudos17157
I started typing this when you posted. Continue on with the religion discussion if you like.

Re the glaciers I'm talking about. This landscape is relatively rare in the CA Rockies.

It's mostly just peaks like in the background pushed together. Every divot at or above that elevation is full of ice. When most of them are out of the wind and absorbing heat from the sun, rather than reflecting it as they do now, things should change rather quickly should they not?
#41 (permalink)      1/21/2019 1:37:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
balling
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 358
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos177

Edited on 1/21/2019 at 1:38 PM. Reason: