The true Indian sets no price upon either his property of his labor. His generosity is limited only by his strength and ability. He regards it as an honor to be selected for a difficult or dangerous service, and would think it shameful to ask for any reward, saying rather: "Let the person I serve express thanks according to his own bringing up and his sense of honor."
- Charles Alexander Eastman, Santee Lakota (Sioux)

A child believes that only the action of someone who is unfriendly can cause pain.
- Santee Lakota (Sioux)

Do not speak of evil for it creates curiosity in the hearts of the young.
- Lakota (Sioux)

Many have fallen with the bottle in their hand.
- Lakota

We are all poor because we are all honest.
- Red Dog, Oglala Lakota (Sioux)
Today is a good day to fight - today is a good day to die. -- Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux

Black Hills is my land and I love it - and whoever interferes will hear this gun. -- Little Big Man, Oglala Sioux

We did not ask you white men to come here. We do not want your civilization - we would live as our fathers did and their fathers before them. -- Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux

MINQUASS Tribal Quotes

If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself.

NAVAJO Tribal Quotes

The song is very short because we understand so much.

Thoughts are like arrows: once released , they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Always assume your guest is tired, cold and hungry, and act accordingly.

My God and my mother live in the west and I will not leave them. I was born there. I shall remain there. I have nothing to lose but my life and that they can come and take whenever they please. But I will not move. -- Manuelito, Navajo

All the mountains have their prayers and chants ... as have the stars and markings in the sky and on the earth. It is their custom to keep the sky and the earth and the day and the night beautiful. The belief is that if this is done, living among the people of the earth will be good. -- Sandoval, Navajo

NEVADA Tribal Quotes

My young men shall never farm. Men who work the soil cannot dream, and wisdom comes to us in dreams.
- Wowoka, Nevada

NEZ PERCE Tribal Quotes

I believe much trouble and blood would be saved if we opened our hearts more. I will tell you in my way how the Indian sees things. The white man has more words to tell you how they look to him, but it does not require many words to speak the truth.
- Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

We do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God...

I have carried a heavy load on my back ever since I was a boy. I realized then that we could not hold our own with the white men. We were like deer. They were like grizzly bears. We had a small country. Their country was large. We were contented to let things remain as the Great Spirit Chief made them. They were not, and would change the rivers and mountains if they did not suit them.

OKLAHOMA Tribal Quotes

When a man prays one day and steals six, the Great Spirit thunders and the Evil One laughs.

OMAHA Tribal Quotes

Dreams are wiser than men.

It takes a whole village to raise a child.

Respect the gift and the giver.

PIMA Tribal Quotes

Do not wrong or hate your neighbors, for it is not he you wrong but yourself.

POWHATAN Tribal Quotes

Why should you take by force from us that which you can obtain by love?
- King Wahunsonacook, Powhatan