Native Americans

ANISHINABE Tribal Quotes

It is less a problem to be poor than to be dishonest.

No one else can represent your conscience.

APACHE Tribal Quotes

It makes no difference as to the name of the God, since love is the real God of all the world.
Even your silence holds a sort of prayer.

When Usen created the Apaches, he also gave them their homes in the West. He gave them such grain, fruits and game as they needed to eat... and all they needed for clothing and shelter was at hand. Thus it was in the beginning; the Apaches and their homes, each created for the other. When they are taken from their homes they sicken and die. -- Geronimo, Chiricahua Apache

ARAPAHO

Before eating, always take a little time to thank the food.

Easy money breeds indolence.

CHEYENNE

An Indian, a partridge and a spruce tree cannot be tamed.

Judge not by the eye but from the heart.

CHIRICAHUA

You must speak straight so that your words may go as sunlight into our hearts.
- Cochise, Chiricahua Chief

COMANCHE

I was born upon the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no enclosures and where everything drew a free breath. I want to die there, and not within walls.
- Ten Bears, Yamparika Comanche

My heart is filled with joy when I see you here, as the brook fills with water in the spring. Two years ago I came upon this road, following the buffalo, that my wives and children might have their cheeks plump and their bodies warm. But the soldiers fired upon us, and since that time there has been a noise like that of a thunderstorm. Why do you ask us to leave the rivers and the sun and live in houses? -- Ten Bears, Yamparika Comanche

CREE Tribal Quotes

Never sit while your elders stand.

The white man who is our agent is so stingy that he carries a linen rag in his pocket into which to blow his nose, for fear he might blow away something of value.
- Piapot, Cree Chief

CREEK Tribal Quotes

We are afraid if we part with any more of our lands the white people will not let us keep as much as will be sufficient to bury our dead.
- Doublehead, Creek Chief

CROW Tribal Quotes

Man's law changes with his understanding of man. Only the laws of the spirit remain always the same.

The only things that need the protection of men are the things of men, not the things of the spirit.