shopping cart empty
Native Americans; Tribal Quotes
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/13/2016 12:55:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
etcetera
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2538
  • Reviews 62
  • Kudos2631
+2 details
Native Americans; Tribal Quotes
Native Americans

ANISHINABE Tribal Quotes

It is less a problem to be poor than to be dishonest.

No one else can represent your conscience.

APACHE Tribal Quotes

It makes no difference as to the name of the God, since love is the real God of all the world.
Even your silence holds a sort of prayer.

When Usen created the Apaches, he also gave them their homes in the West. He gave them such grain, fruits and game as they needed to eat... and all they needed for clothing and shelter was at hand. Thus it was in the beginning; the Apaches and their homes, each created for the other. When they are taken from their homes they sicken and die. -- Geronimo, Chiricahua Apache

ARAPAHO

Before eating, always take a little time to thank the food.

Easy money breeds indolence.

CHEYENNE

An Indian, a partridge and a spruce tree cannot be tamed.

Judge not by the eye but from the heart.

CHIRICAHUA

You must speak straight so that your words may go as sunlight into our hearts.
- Cochise, Chiricahua Chief

COMANCHE

I was born upon the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no enclosures and where everything drew a free breath. I want to die there, and not within walls.
- Ten Bears, Yamparika Comanche

My heart is filled with joy when I see you here, as the brook fills with water in the spring. Two years ago I came upon this road, following the buffalo, that my wives and children might have their cheeks plump and their bodies warm. But the soldiers fired upon us, and since that time there has been a noise like that of a thunderstorm. Why do you ask us to leave the rivers and the sun and live in houses? -- Ten Bears, Yamparika Comanche

CREE Tribal Quotes

Never sit while your elders stand.

The white man who is our agent is so stingy that he carries a linen rag in his pocket into which to blow his nose, for fear he might blow away something of value.
- Piapot, Cree Chief

CREEK Tribal Quotes

We are afraid if we part with any more of our lands the white people will not let us keep as much as will be sufficient to bury our dead.
- Doublehead, Creek Chief

CROW Tribal Quotes

Man's law changes with his understanding of man. Only the laws of the spirit remain always the same.

The only things that need the protection of men are the things of men, not the things of the spirit.
Ko
#2 (permalink)      4/13/2016 12:55:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
etcetera
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2538
  • Reviews 62
  • Kudos2631
+1 details
DAKOTA Tribal Quotes

We will be known forever by the tracks we leave.

DELAWARE Tribal Quotes

Good and evil cannot dwell together in the same heart, so a good man ought not to go into evil company.

When you begin a great work you can't expect to finish it all at once; therefore do you and your brothers press on, and let nothing discourage you until you have entirely finished what you have begun.
- Teedyuscung

HOPI Tribal Quotes

A lazy man is apt to be envious.

You are never justified in arguing.

HURON Tribal Quotes

Let your nature be known and proclaimed.

KIOWA Tribal Quotes

I love the land and the buffalo and will not part with it... I want the children raised as I was... I don't want to settle. I love to roam over the prairies. There I feel free and happy, but when we settle down we grow pale and die.
- Satanta, Kiowa chief

This building houses for us is all nonsense. You tell the Great Father that there is plenty of buffalo yet, and when the buffalo are all gone I will tell him. -- - Satanta, Kiowa chief

LAKOTA & OGLALA SIOUX Tribal Quotes

The Great Spirit is not perfect: it has a good side and a bad side. Sometimes the bad side gives us more knowledge than the good side.
- Lakota (Sioux)

With all things and in all things, we are relatives.
- Lakota (Sioux)

Civilization has been thrust upon me...and it has not added one whit to my love for truth, honesty, and generosity...
- Chief Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Lakota (Sioux)

We should be as water, which is lower than all things yet stronger even than the rocks.
- Oglala Lakota (Sioux)

Guard your tongue in youth, and in age you may mature a thought that will be of service to your people.
- Lakota (Sioux)

Everything the Power does, it does in a circle.
- Oglala Lakota (Sioux)

See how the boy is with his sister and you can know how the man will be with your daughter.
- Lakota (Sioux)

If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows.
- Sitting Bull, Teton Lakota (Sioux)

The ones that matter most are the children. They are the true human beings.
- Lakota (Sioux)

Knowledge was inherent in all things. The world was a library...
- Chief Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Lakota (Sioux)

Look at me- I am poor and naked, but I am the chief of the nation. We do not want riches, but we do want to train our children right. Riches would do us no good. We could not take them with us to the other world. We do not want riches. We want peace and love.
- Red Cloud, Lakota (Sioux)

I have attended dinners among white people. Their ways are not our ways. We eat in silence, quietly smoke a pipe and depart. Thus is our host honored. This is not the way of the white man. After his food has been eaten, one is expected to say foolish things. Then the host feels honored.
- Four Guns, Oglala Lakota (Sioux)

Praise, flattery, exaggerated manners, and fine high-sounding words were no part of the Lakota politeness. Excessive manners were put down as insincere, and the constant talker was considered rude and thoughtless. Conversation was never begun at once, or in a hurried manner. No one was quick with a question, no matter how important, and no one was pressed for an answer. A pause giving time for thought was the truly courteous way of beginning and conducting a conversation.
- Chief Luther Standing Bear, Teton Lakota (Sioux)
Ko
#3 (permalink)      4/13/2016 12:56:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
etcetera
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2538
  • Reviews 62
  • Kudos2631
+1 details
The true Indian sets no price upon either his property of his labor. His generosity is limited only by his strength and ability. He regards it as an honor to be selected for a difficult or dangerous service, and would think it shameful to ask for any reward, saying rather: "Let the person I serve express thanks according to his own bringing up and his sense of honor."
- Charles Alexander Eastman, Santee Lakota (Sioux)

A child believes that only the action of someone who is unfriendly can cause pain.
- Santee Lakota (Sioux)

Do not speak of evil for it creates curiosity in the hearts of the young.
- Lakota (Sioux)

Many have fallen with the bottle in their hand.
- Lakota

We are all poor because we are all honest.
- Red Dog, Oglala Lakota (Sioux)
Today is a good day to fight - today is a good day to die. -- Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux

Black Hills is my land and I love it - and whoever interferes will hear this gun. -- Little Big Man, Oglala Sioux

We did not ask you white men to come here. We do not want your civilization - we would live as our fathers did and their fathers before them. -- Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux

MINQUASS Tribal Quotes

If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself.

NAVAJO Tribal Quotes

The song is very short because we understand so much.

Thoughts are like arrows: once released , they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Always assume your guest is tired, cold and hungry, and act accordingly.

My God and my mother live in the west and I will not leave them. I was born there. I shall remain there. I have nothing to lose but my life and that they can come and take whenever they please. But I will not move. -- Manuelito, Navajo

All the mountains have their prayers and chants ... as have the stars and markings in the sky and on the earth. It is their custom to keep the sky and the earth and the day and the night beautiful. The belief is that if this is done, living among the people of the earth will be good. -- Sandoval, Navajo

NEVADA Tribal Quotes

My young men shall never farm. Men who work the soil cannot dream, and wisdom comes to us in dreams.
- Wowoka, Nevada

NEZ PERCE Tribal Quotes

I believe much trouble and blood would be saved if we opened our hearts more. I will tell you in my way how the Indian sees things. The white man has more words to tell you how they look to him, but it does not require many words to speak the truth.
- Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

We do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God...

I have carried a heavy load on my back ever since I was a boy. I realized then that we could not hold our own with the white men. We were like deer. They were like grizzly bears. We had a small country. Their country was large. We were contented to let things remain as the Great Spirit Chief made them. They were not, and would change the rivers and mountains if they did not suit them.

OKLAHOMA Tribal Quotes

When a man prays one day and steals six, the Great Spirit thunders and the Evil One laughs.

OMAHA Tribal Quotes

Dreams are wiser than men.

It takes a whole village to raise a child.

Respect the gift and the giver.

PIMA Tribal Quotes

Do not wrong or hate your neighbors, for it is not he you wrong but yourself.

POWHATAN Tribal Quotes

Why should you take by force from us that which you can obtain by love?
- King Wahunsonacook, Powhatan
Ko
#4 (permalink)      4/13/2016 12:56:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
etcetera
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2538
  • Reviews 62
  • Kudos2631
+1 details
PUEBLO Tribal Quotes

A good man does not take what belongs to someone else.

Old age was simply a delightful time, when the old people sat on the sunny doorsteps, playing in the sun with the children, until they fell asleep. At last, they failed to wake up.
- James Paytiamo, Acoma Pueblo

We have lived upon this land from days beyond history's records, far past any living memory, deep into the time of legend. The story of my people and the story of this place are one single story. We are always joined together. -- Pueblo elder

What we are told as children is that people when they walk on the land leave their breath wherever they go. So wherever we walk, that particular spot on the earth never forgets us, and when we go back to these places, we know that the people who have lived there are in some way still there and that we can actually partake of their breath and of their spirit. -- Rina Swentzell, Santa Clara Pueblo

SALISH Tribal Quotes

Can we talk of integration until there is integration of hearts and minds? Unless you have this, you have only a physical presence, and the walls between us are as high as the mountain range.
- Chief Dan George, Salish

SAUK Tribal Quotes

How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right.
- Black Hawk, Sauk

During the first year a newly married couple discovers whether they can agree with each other and can be happy - if not, they part, and look for other partners. If we were to live together and disagree we should be as foolish as the whites.
- Black Hawk, Sauk

SENECA Tribal Quotes

Even in Paradise, living all alone would be Hell.

Love one another and do not strive for another's undoing.

Even as you desire good treatment, so render it.
- Handsome Lake of the Seneca

SHAWNEE Tribal Quotes

When the legends die, the dreams end; there is no more greatness.

No tribe has the right to sell, even to each other, much less to strangers... Sell a country! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth? Didn't the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?
- Tecumseh, Shawnee

SHOSHONE Tribal Quotes

When a favor is shown to a white man, he feels it in his head and the tongue speaks out; when a kindness is shown to an Indian, he feels it in his heart and the heart has no tongue.

SUQWAMISH Tribal Quotes

What is a man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth.
- Chief Seattle, Suqwamish and Duwamish

TUSCARORA Tribal Quotes

Those who have one foot in the canoe and one foot in the boat are going to fall into the river.

UTE Tribal Quotes

One "take this" is better than two "I will gives."

If I am in harmony with my family, that is success.

Don't walk in front of me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Walk beside me that we may be as one.
Ko
#5 (permalink)      4/13/2016 12:57:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
etcetera
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2538
  • Reviews 62
  • Kudos2631
+1 details
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life.

"A fight is going on inside me," he says to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One is evil - he is anger, envy sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

The other is good - he is gratitude, joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy ,generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather which wolf would win.

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
Ko
#6 (permalink)      4/13/2016 12:58:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JoeVan
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 8084
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos10452
+2 details
"He who walk through turn-style sideways going to Bangkok."

- Confucius
Joke's on you, this isn't actually a raffle.
#7 (permalink)      4/13/2016 12:59:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JoeVan
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 8084
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos10452
+2 details
"He who stand on toilet seat, high on pot!"

- Confucius
Joke's on you, this isn't actually a raffle.
#8 (permalink)      4/13/2016 1:01:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ChappySinclair
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 4038
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos4778
+4 details
#9 (permalink)      4/13/2016 1:03:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ultramagnetic
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 496
  • Reviews 84
  • Kudos1240
A woman who described herself as “A little bit Bridget, a little bit Ally, a little bit Sex And The City” and chose to call her baby boy Fred as a childishly rebellious attempt at a clever reaction to those who might have expected her to call him Julian or Rupert. Bit of advice: call him Rupert, it fits, and besides it’s a good name. Don’t be calling him Fred or Archie, with all its cheeky but lovable working class scamp connotations, unless you really do have plans for him to spend his life in William Hill’s waiting for them to weigh in at Newton Abbot.

- Half Man Half Biscuit
#10 (permalink)      4/13/2016 2:04:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Robert2
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 4711
  • Reviews 186
  • Kudos4139
+1 details

Edited on 4/13/2016 at 2:06 PM. Reason:
I know you are, you said you are, so what am I
#11 (permalink)      4/13/2016 2:37:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jeggedda
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 5175
  • Reviews 216
  • Kudos5923
+2 details
I'm thinking someone watched Dances With Wolves again, OR The Peyote Buttons are a bumper crop this year.

:)
" The next time you have a thought... let it go. " - Ron White