Thoughts on Damascus styles...
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      1/15/2022 8:32:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
+1 details
Don't take it personally.
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#22 (permalink)      1/15/2022 9:02:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
+1 details

Lol, you must be "drankin and smokin'"...it could be a nice discussion....

I am tonight after a week hiatus.

Back track thinking on previous threads....

;Technically, even if the substance was gone for a long a time and was magically re created molecularly, it's still not Damascus unless it's not from the actual Capital.;

There's a few other "notes" from previous threads I'm trying to remember.

Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#23 (permalink)      1/15/2022 11:34:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
+1 details
deleted reply

Edited on 1/16/2022 at 11:38 PM. Reason:
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#24 (permalink)      1/15/2022 11:55:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
+1 details
Understandable.

Il agree I was stupid not to issue a "do not"

And I was also stupid to think maybe this would be one thread without a history lesson.
#25 (permalink)      1/16/2022 7:59:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
+1 details
See, if you had bothered checking into it a little further, you would know Damascus steel is still replicated rather well by certain craftsmen, especially in Japan, where fine cutlery is revered.

Without that, Damascus is still relevant and available.
..it's just that you thought you could purchase it for 50.00 or less from a mainstream knife website.

I made the same mistaken assumptions early on too, which is why I explained it as best I could. and again, the pattern your knife has isn't a Damascus (Persian watered steel), it's a series of repeating geometric lines.

Get upset if you want, but you've learned something...whether you want to admit it or not!

Life is a journey, and learning is the destination. After all, when it's all said and done, what else is there?
What does he mean when he says words?
#26 (permalink)      1/16/2022 10:35:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
+1 details
deleted reply

Edited on 1/16/2022 at 11:38 PM. Reason:
#27 (permalink)      1/16/2022 10:46:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 786
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos713
+1 details
Well I did learn something - I was aware that Damascus steel no longer exists in it's original form, but a modern 'equivalent' is still available (but very expensive) and there are etched 'faux Damascus' variants available, but knew little about the history or how it is crafted.

I gave up on the History Channel years ago when it changed format and decided to concentrate on programs about assholes at storage locker auctions, so I got something from this.

Personally I'd rather have a spork, but the knife looks decent, and if it holds up to work use and you enjoy owning it, everybody wins.
#28 (permalink)      1/16/2022 11:07:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
+1 details
deleted reply

Edited on 1/16/2022 at 11:50 PM. Reason:
#29 (permalink)      1/16/2022 12:37:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
+1 details
vape8ion wrote:

Japanese craftsmen do not "replicate" Damascus. Tamahagane is not Damascus. It may look like it and the process may be similar, but it is not a "replication" which the term implies that Japanese craftsmen gleaned technique from Middle East craftsmen. I am talking "old-world" history. In today's nomenclature, all these terms are being homogenized, and we are losing definition. Soon, historical fact will vanish into the convenient vernacular of the day. Would you call a Ford a Dodge simply because they are both automobiles?

Perhaps this discussion may need to be in a new thread? Or, with Skeeeets permission, we may continue with a discussion of steel? I don't know....steel is the backbone of civilization IMO, and worthy of discussion.

Well, you are being a little TOO anal about it now...I refer to basic, society-accepted attempts at replicating the Damascus PROCESS and LOOK...that's all. There is cast, weld, and laser etching...all of these give a good look!

What you are looking for, is the History Channel. I'm just looking for good-looking, fancy gadgets!

I did learn something, so thanks...question is, why was this thread started if OP didnt really want to read any answers?

Edited on 1/16/2022 at 12:40 PM. Reason:
#30 (permalink)      1/16/2022 1:04:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
+2 details

Asmodus sent this to me as a gift a few years back...it's the only knife I own with a Damascus pattern. It has a nice stabilized wood / resin handle and good quality metal, but it's laser etching, I'm sure.

I just like looking at the design, I carry it when out, but not to my job...it would get ruined in half a day!

Anyone else have etched blades/ mods to show off? Maybe that could get everyone under one umbrella....the average consumer likes the LOOK, so that seems a natural meeting point!
#31 (permalink)      1/16/2022 1:06:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 10834
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11490
Skeeeets wrote:

Understandable.

Il agree I was stupid not to issue a "do not"

And I was also stupid to think maybe this would be one thread without a history lesson.

I lol'd at that post.

I knew some history too but these guys are interesting (you too) by knowing so much about the science of forging, like you do too. 😊

Up (censored by PRC) creek with a 8 inch long piece of fecal matter for a paddle