Thoughts on Damascus styles...
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      1/15/2022 1:43:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
+1 details
Yep, he doesn't have Damascus...he's got "Damascus lite", lol. I'm "lost"? No, just trying to inform you, my dude!
What does he mean when he says words?
#12 (permalink)      1/15/2022 1:46:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
+1 details
And "wootz steel" was depleted of decades ago. So by that notion, absolutely nothing made in today's time is Damascus. Case closed. Take the attitude to another thread.
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#13 (permalink)      1/15/2022 1:57:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4842
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2896
+1 details
Dude, there's no attitude!(except your "I'm lost" comment). Where are you coming from with that? Because I take the time to try to educate you further on something, I have an attitude? Lol, you must be "drankin and smokin'"...it could be a nice discussion, if you let it!

Good to see you looked it up. Wootz steel is long gone, as I mentioned, but two techniques exist that approximate how it would have been done, Cast and Welded. AND, true "Damascus" style is wavy, two tone lines, not repeating geometric lines...there's nothing "natural" about geometric patterns.

And I said before, wasn't trying to burst your bubble on a new purchase. It looks nice, which is the main thing. One thing is most likely certain: When you pay for a craftsman made "Damascus style" knife, you will probably value it and care for it very much - they're beautiful to look at.

Edited on 1/15/2022 at 2:05 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#14 (permalink)      1/15/2022 9:52:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 10834
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11490
+1 details
If it comes from fasttech it is Chinese steel. Damascus is in the Assyrian land, not China.

You are welcome.
Up (censored by PRC) creek with a 8 inch long piece of fecal matter for a paddle
#15 (permalink)      1/15/2022 10:41:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
deleted reply

Edited on 1/16/2022 at 11:37 PM. Reason:
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#16 (permalink)      1/15/2022 11:01:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
deleted reply

#17 (permalink)      1/15/2022 11:10:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
Excuse me for being blunt. The assumption of knowing nothing was apparent within the first comment. Every. Single. Damascus. Thread. Turns into a history lesson and the same "that's not Damascus" atmosphere. I'm tired of reading the same shit over and over.

"Good to see you looked it up. Wootz steel is long gone"

I didn't have to look it up. It's one of the points made in previous threads with the same preaching. The knife may very well be Chinese, although it was purchased from a Mexican vendor. I didn't purchase it for the etching, only for the tanto blade instead of dagger tip model. I do have a more "traditional" layered steel knife in the kitchen for cutting tomatoes. My grandpa got it from an Indian reservation about 40 years ago.

Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#18 (permalink)      1/15/2022 11:44:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
deleted reply

#19 (permalink)      1/15/2022 6:40:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
+1 details
Thoughts and opinions welcome. Just not a broken record of history. I was already half prepared for the umpteenth history lesson, why I said "Damascus style" in the OP

What I was looking for is comments on the specific blade I pictured, and\or comments on what "style" or patterns or even composition of material do you guys prefer. I honestly give 2 rats ass on how "super cool" it looks for the most part, the "magical" edge retention from layered material is what intrigues me. Function comes before form. The repetitive geometric wave is definitely not a good looker anyways.

At this point, it's a mystery what quality the blade actually is. Or even material.... taking it apart this morning before work, to check fully what's hiding under the handle portion. The "shiney" scales are actually turning green, so I'm thinking those layers aren't steel at all and maybe zinc. I sent the seller a message and asked questions about it... Well see if I even get a response.

I can say for sure its not a cheap laser job. And even if it's cheap ass material, as long as it holds an edge well then I have no complaints.
#20 (permalink)      1/15/2022 6:47:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
+1 details
vape8ion wrote:

In the future, perhaps we should all include that "differences of opinion will not be tolerated" in our thread titles.

That's a smart idea to open a giant can of worms.
Opinions are welcome, but a redundant refresh of history is very very (I can't find a word). It would be similar to every single thread for a rebuild able, having a comment "how volts flow through a coil and generate heat around your wick etc.." ::edit:: or someone just stating that it's not true vaping because it doesn't used heated air like traditional vaporizing products. ::End::

Not trying to be combative. I'm just tired of hearing the same shit every single thread with a mention of Damascus. Il edit the original post.

Edited on 1/15/2022 at 8:42 PM. Reason:
#21 (permalink)      1/15/2022 8:32:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11014
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6884
+1 details
Don't take it personally.