Ordering folders into Canada - CBSA starting to confiscate
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/30/2018 7:30:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
BreSha6869
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2015
  • Posts 198
  • Reviews 258
  • Kudos128
+5 details
Ordering folders into Canada - CBSA starting to confiscate
Just a heads up that the CBSA is starting to confiscate any knife they feel can be opened with gravity, can be modified to do so or has a flipper, thumb screw or disk. spyderhole, etc. Basically EVERY folder potentially that isn’t like a SAK and requires two handed opening.

Even small SanRenmu pocket knives are getting confiscated. I got a letter today that in 6-8 weeks I’ll know if my Sanrenmu 3” folder with thumbscrews will be allowed into the country. I’m assuming there is next to no chance I will get it back.

Many other knife lovers are having packages intercepted since the CSBA ruling a few weeks ago. China, USA, etc. doesn’t matter. Lucky for me my knife was $11 and not a $500 Chris Reeve.

Just a FYI in any case.
#2 (permalink)      1/30/2018 7:48:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1755
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1817
+6 details
Can you post any links to info regarding CBSA's updated stance on the issue? I'd be really interested in reading up about it. They've been acting like this for awhile now, at least a year or two. I've starting buying my knives from Canadian sellers whenever possible to avoid losing an expensive purchase. If you are buying something expensive that might not make it, you can always ask the seller if they're willing to send the knife disassembled.

I had a beater Ganzo that I ordered from here opened up by CBSA a few years ago - it arrived all wrapped up in their inspection tape. It was an axis lock but it made it through which surprised me; perhaps they didn't know how to use it one handed. My EDC is a ZT flipper with bearings [it deploys lightning fast and opens and closes one handed] and I made sure to buy it from a Canadian seller as I knew it would be seized if inspected. Ironically if the RCMP ever asked to see it they wouldn't consider it prohibited as they all carry similar flippers.

The CBSA are completely fucking retarded for a variety of reasons imo. They don't even do a good job keeping illegals out yet they're happy to tax the shit out of our orders and seize perfectly legal items. I wouldn't piss on one of them even if they were on fire.

Edited on 1/30/2018 at 7:51 PM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      1/31/2018 12:09:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Bassett
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 1696
  • Reviews 63
  • Kudos814
+2 details
Biggest piss off for me is them not allowing most vape batteries to enter into Canada.

Every time something like this happens its ground lost. It seems unlikely that reversing this new regulation won't be as easy to undo.
*smokebomb*
#4 (permalink)      1/31/2018 1:57:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 4174
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4470
+2 details
Moldy wrote:
[quote]Can you post any links to info regarding CBSA's updated stance on the issue? I'd be really interested in reading up about it. They've been acting like this for awhile now, at least a year or two. I've starting buying my knives from Canadian sellers whenever possible to avoid losing an expensive purchase. If you are buying something expensive that might not make it, you can always ask the seller if they're willing to send the knife disassembled. I had a beater Ganzo that I ordered from here opened up by CBSA a few years ago - it arrived all wrapped up in their inspection tape. It was an axis lock but it made it through which surprised me; perhaps they didn't know how to use it one handed. My EDC is a ZT flipper with bearings [it deploys lightning fast and opens and closes one handed] and I made sure to buy it from a Canadian seller as I knew it would be seized if inspected. Ironically if the RCMP ever asked to see it they wouldn't consider it prohibited as they all carry similar flippers. The CBSA are completely fucking retarded for a variety of reasons imo. They don't even do a good job keeping illegals out yet they're happy to tax the shit out of our orders and seize perfectly legal items. I wouldn't piss on one of them even if they were on fire.[/quote]

Unfortunately, many Canadian sellers have been getting their shipments seized. Cabela's, Walmart, etc. The large US companies have no problems importing, but if a private citizen trues to bring a identical knife through, they are getting seized. They wont pick on anybody that has the resources to litigate, just the small fry.

There is a site in the US that sells high quality parts.... In separate shipments. OTF etc. Or so I've heard.
Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#5 (permalink)      1/31/2018 2:03:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 4174
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4470
+3 details
Bassett wrote:

Biggest piss off for me is them not allowing most vape batteries to enter into Canada.

Every time something like this happens its ground lost. It seems unlikely that reversing this new regulation won't be as easy to undo.

In this case, there is no regulation. CBSA is interpreting the Criminal Code, without any guidance.

Technically, there are no books that are banned, or illegal to posses in Canada. There is however a large list of books that are not allowed to be imported.

I wonder if Ganzo would sell parts?

Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#6 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:11:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+4 details
Yep, this is not the Canadian law as the knives they are stopping are perfectly legal.
This is the interpretation of the law by a bunch of bureaucrats that have noting else better to do than penalize the average law-abiding citizen in order to make their high paying jobs relevant.

In November 2016 they revised their memorandum to target flippers, and I had 2 seized around that time.

Now a few weeks ago, they did it again to basically give them power to stop any knife that can be opened one handed.
I personally am waiting on a Loscha clone that I bought from AE, it has thumb studs and ball bearings so will definitely fit in this category. Tacking from China shows that the knife arrived in Canada about 2 weeks ago, yet I haven't received it. I wouldn't be surprised if I receive another letter from CBSA in a couple of weeks time...

That's F*****g BS as these guys have no power to create their own laws, yet they modify it the way they wish and neither the government nor the people are doing nothing about it.
Reality is that knife enthusiasts are a minority and 99% of the ignorant population will see this move as a "good" thing.

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 9:16 AM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:14:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+3 details
BreSha6869 wrote:

I got a letter today that in 6-8 weeks I’ll know if my Sanrenmu 3” folder with thumbscrews will be allowed into the country. I’m assuming there is next to no chance I will get it back.

Not to disappoint you but the letter you received is just to buy them time to do the paperwork.
The knife has already been inspected and they have decided to seize it and you will receive a seizure notice within a couple of weeks. That's the way it has always happened to me when they seized a knife.
If they would have decided to let it through, they would have just repackaged the knife with their famous yellow tape and forward it to Canada post without sending you any letter.
Sorry for the bad news :(

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 9:17 AM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:15:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+3 details
Moldy wrote:

Can you post any links to info regarding CBSA's updated stance on the issue?

Link

The way they vaguely worded Section 2 basically describes any knife that can be opened one-handed.

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 9:24 AM. Reason:
#9 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:25:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172

Reality is that knife enthusiasts are a minority and 99% of the ignorant population will see this move as a "good" thing.

Reason for such is to force one into buying in Canada?
I'm not into knives so curious....are these imported knives offering something that can't be found at home, aside from a better price point?

Targeting resellers or just the one off importer?

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 9:28 AM. Reason:
(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#10 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:38:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+3 details
Budget knives from the brands found here like Ganzo, Sanrenmu, Enlan, etc... or clones of expensive knives can hardly be found in Canada, and when they can, they are at least twice the price.
For the premium knives or knives from reputable brands, not all can be found in Canada but a lot of them can at a much more expensive price.

Here's an example,
I recently bought this knife, $348.50 USD with no taxes and free shipping to one of my family members in the USA whom I will visit at Easter, so total $427 CAD
Same knife in Canada, $530 + $12.50 shipping + 13% taxes = $613.
There is a $186 difference in price between both option!

Again, the real problem here is that the knife IS legal as described by the Criminal Code of Canada and this is why the knife is allowed to be sold in Canada.
However, if I would have had the package sent to me in Canada and CBSA would inspect the package, they would seize the knife as a prohibited weapon, which is NOT right as it is NOT the law, and CBSA has NO power to create their own law.
I agree (well not really of but that's a whole other discussion...) about them stopping knives described as illegal by the criminal code like automatic knives, butterfly knives, push daggers, etc... as this IS the law, however I don't agree with what they are doing right now.

So, the only people they are penalizing are the average Joe that collects knives and wants to save a few bucks, not really retailers, and especially not the criminal that wants to go kill someone with a knife, this one will usually do it with a kitchen knife that is perfectly legal to own and import....

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason:
#11 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:57:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+4 details
And to be clear, the reason I mentioned "ignorant population" is because most of the modern population sees a pocket knife as a weapon.
Anything can be seen as a weapon, a big rock by the side of the road can be a weapon, etc...
A pocket knife is a tool.
As a matter of fact, a knife is the oldest tool used by men.
I've always carried a pocket knife since my grandfather gave me my first one when I was 8 years old to be able to peel my apples picked from the trees.
I use my pocket knife to cut or peel my fruit, to open cardboard boxes, to open packages, etc...
Yet, it was acceptable and common for people to carry a knife for such tasks up to 20 or 30 years ago but in todays's age, it viewed as a crime for some reason, which it shouldn't be.

And it's actually ridiculous that CBSA, which has no authority in making new knife laws, decides to take such action in order "to protect" the Canadian people, when there is very little crime in Canada, and only a tiny portion of this little crime is done with knives which are in 90% of the cases, kitchen knives, that's just sad and laughable.
Prohibiting knife enthusiasts to get a certain type of knives for their hobby will not save any Canadian lives, I can tell you that much.

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 9:59 AM. Reason: