Knife sharpeners???
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/10/2015 3:55:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LAZZZERS
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 42
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos9
Knife sharpeners???
Any good recommendations for knife sharpeners? I have a minosharp 3 stage for use on my global kitchen knives but it doesn't seem to put a razor sharp edge on it and the edge doesn't seem to last very long. Looking for something for my EDC knives that is somewhat idiot proof...

LAZZZERS marked this question as answered on 8/10/2015 at 3:33 PM
Answer
operant
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 193
  • Reviews 31
  • Kudos208
https://www.fasttech.com/forums/knives/t/1730289/essential-knife-skills/1

Check that thread out. Esp DefMunky's posts.

Seems like Lansky and Smiths are the ones to get.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
#2 (permalink)      8/10/2015 4:30:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
operant
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 193
  • Reviews 31
  • Kudos208
+1 details

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
#3 (permalink)      8/10/2015 12:17:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos274
+1 details
The Lansky four rod turn box is what I use, easy once you get the hang of it, five minutes and you'll have sharp knives.
I have several sets of the Lansky rod and hone sharpening system, diamond, serrations, sapphire polishers etc. but the turn box does a very good job very easily.
For use outside or anywhere uneven I've epoxied a bubble spirit level, the round type sold in caravan stores or ebay. Get the box level and the knife upright and you're good to go.
The two angles are good enough for most EDC purposes but simply raising one end of the box can alter the angle to whatever you want. Trial and error though.
For the money it's the best option for me but your mileage may vary etc.
#4 (permalink)      8/10/2015 3:35:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LAZZZERS
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 42
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos9
+1 details
operant wrote:

Thanks... i didn't see this post when I initially searched. Some of those mentioned seemed a little aggressive tho. I have a benchmade 42 and benchmade tanto auto axis (D2 steel) that I don't really want to mess up but it pointed me in a good direction.

#5 (permalink)      8/10/2015 4:40:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
The system won't be a whole lot of good for the 42, but for everything else, the Lansky kits with a knife clamp and a various stones set in colour coded plastic blocks are excellent. I've had their deluxe set for years, and only felt the need to add a fine Arkansas stone for the last strop pass, and the plastic screw down bench mount.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#6 (permalink)      8/10/2015 4:43:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
The only issue with the Lansky is that knives over say 6" long, are liable to have a more acute grind the further you get from the blade clamp. I've never actually found an issue with it though, as longer blades tend to be deeper anyway, and that negates some of the effect. Plus I tend to like a combo edge, so the main blade is shorter. Their triangular stones are excellent for serations as well, even Spyderco knives work well with them.

Gerber do some nice pocket sharpeners for quick in the field edge straightening.

Edited on 8/10/2015 at 4:44 PM. Reason:
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#7 (permalink)      8/10/2015 4:46:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
Oh, and getting global knives to take a good edge is the devil's own job. I've got two sets of them, and they're great once they're sharp, but getting them there is a huge PITA.
#8 (permalink)      8/10/2015 4:50:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
If you are careful you can actually reposition the clamp on longer knives to sharpen the end of the knife. You have to pay attention though or you risk essentially having two edges on the same blade. Not something I really recommend, but it can be done.
#9 (permalink)      8/10/2015 5:03:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
LAZZZERS wrote:

I have a benchmade 42 and benchmade tanto auto axis (D2 steel) that I don't really want to mess up but it pointed me in a good direction.

None of those methods mentioned in the thread for sharpening should be too aggressive. Just be careful with D2 as it can be a little chippy. It just depends on the heat treatment. It should be able to hold one hell of an edge though, as D2 is known for its hardness.

#10 (permalink)      8/10/2015 5:12:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26278
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21071
A wet stone and a steel. Use the steel proper and you wont need the stone.
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#11 (permalink)      8/10/2015 5:19:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+2 details
Vapor wrote:

A wet stone and a steel. Use the steel proper and you wont need the stone.

Eventually you will need the stone as the steel just straightens the edge, it doesn't sharpen anything. I can get about 6 moths between sharpenings with a steel on a western style kitchen knife. Unfortunately Japanese knives are usually too hard and thin and just chip out with a steel. They have to be stropped, polished, or sharpened.