shopping cart empty
Soldering Temp for LED board.
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      11/23/2016 10:17:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dude123
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 9
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
Soldering Temp for LED board.
Hi there,
I ordered a XM-L2 T6 Led with the 20mm board here on Fasttech and since I am new to soldering, is there a max soldering temp for this board so that I don't mess it up? I have read in the past about different temp settings when working on things like this.
#2 (permalink)      11/24/2016 3:41:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2189
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos1558
Do you mean the LED and the 20mm board are separate items, or are you talking about soldering the leads/wires from the driver to an already mounted LED?

If they're separate items, I have no idea about the temp. If you just want to solder the leads to an LED that's already mounted on a board, as long as you get the solder pads hot enough for the solder to flow onto the leads/pads you should have no problem.

My soldering iron gets up to about 900* (no temp control) and I've never had a problem. The finished solder joints should look kinda shiny. Make sure that the solder joints don't stick up too high. The driver could short out if the joints touch the bottom of a aluminum reflector. Been there, done that. :)

I usually use these > SKU 1138102 to prevent shorts. They may be a little hard to see, but they're there. lol

Edited on 11/24/2016 at 3:46 PM. Reason:
I just need one more flashlight. Just one. Honestly. :D
#3 (permalink)      11/24/2016 8:25:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 2874
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1525
330°C to 350°C (626°F to 662°F) is typical.

But the right temperature setting actually depend on :

- The heat production capability of a soldering iron.
- The thermal mass of the iron/tip, how much heat they are storing and how well they can transfer the heat.
- The thermal mass of what you are soldering to, how fast it can absorb heat.
#4 (permalink)      11/24/2016 11:13:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dude123
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 9
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
Thank you both for the tips, very helpful for me. airbagz, yes, I meant soldering the two leads from the driver to the already mounted LED. It's that star board, but those wires are so small so I'm going to have to practice on some old pc boards to get the hang of it. I almost think my soldering iron is too big. Maybe I can get another much narrower and finer tip to make it easier for me.

Now I know what that clear plastic ring on my flashlight is thanks haha! I was wondering what the purpose of it is until I saw your reply.
#5 (permalink)      11/25/2016 12:18:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
eric1848
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 1726
  • Reviews 206
  • Kudos1816

Edited on 11/25/2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: wrong info
SMPL, eGo AIO and Pico with SS316 coil is my daily combo on 2016. I Quit smoking for years and very enjoying vaping MaxVG now @YVR... Vape safe mate:D
#6 (permalink)      11/25/2016 1:53:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 6918
  • Reviews 193
  • Kudos6428
It might be easier to put a dab of solder with flux onto the contacts then with tinned wire do a quick touch with the iron.
#7 (permalink)      11/25/2016 2:43:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dude123
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 9
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
wuwei.ap, can I use the same flux that I use when soldering copper plumbing pipes, or is there another type?
#8 (permalink)      11/25/2016 2:59:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 6918
  • Reviews 193
  • Kudos6428
It should be okay, dude. I think the new types aren't as toxic to use. I have an old tin from over twenty years ago. :P

I think you just need a fine tip iron. The solder flux will keep it on the tracks. There is copper desoldering braid if you make a mess of it, but if you do it the way I mentioned, you can control how much solder is put on. Sometimes you can wipe it away with the iron.
#9 (permalink)      11/25/2016 8:52:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airbagz
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2189
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos1558
I'm pretty new at soldering too. I bought solder with flux in it, and a 40 watt Weller iron which has 3 LEDs which illuminate the work area pretty good. I've done about a dozen LED/driver swaps, and for me the pencil/pointy tip is the easiest for soldering those small leads.

Another tip. Make sure the reflector is centered around the LED before tightening the bezel down. I screwed one in crooked and broke one of the tiny bonding wires on the brand new LED I just installed.
I just need one more flashlight. Just one. Honestly. :D
#10 (permalink)      11/25/2016 9:16:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dude123
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 9
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
+1 details
wuwei.ap wrote:

It should be okay, dude. I think the new types aren't as toxic to use. I have an old tin from over twenty years ago. :P

I think you just need a fine tip iron. The solder flux will keep it on the tracks. There is copper desoldering braid if you make a mess of it, but if you do it the way I mentioned, you can control how much solder is put on. Sometimes you can wipe it away with the iron.

Thank you. I found an old pc board that I am going to mess with until I get the hang of it.

#11 (permalink)      11/25/2016 9:18:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dude123
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 9
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
airbagz wrote:

I'm pretty new at soldering too. I bought solder with flux in it, and a 40 watt Weller iron which has 3 LEDs which illuminate the work area pretty good. I've done about a dozen LED/driver swaps, and for me the pencil/pointy tip is the easiest for soldering those small leads.

Another tip. Make sure the reflector is centered around the LED before tightening the bezel down. I screwed one in crooked and broke one of the tiny bonding wires on the brand new LED I just installed.

Good tips, thanks. I will look around for solder with flux in it too. Never even heard of that before. I like the idea of the Weller iron too with the leds.