shopping cart empty
beware! paypal reams us on exchange rate
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      5/3/2016 6:25:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 24391
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos18855
No complaints with the exchange rate here ;)
Heaven has a wall and strict immigration policies. Hell has open borders.
#22 (permalink)      5/3/2016 6:27:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23158
Examples of purchases I just made in the past few days since we gained on the Canadian dollar, for the first time since last summer. Now over $0.80

Exchange rate
$115.57 CAD = $89.49 USD
1 Canadian Dollar = 0.77 US Dollar

Exchange rate
$50.28 CAD = $38.94 USD

\

Exchange rate
$36.77 CAD = $28.32 USD

There are a couple more but each one is at $0.77

(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#23 (permalink)      5/3/2016 6:31:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23158
+5 details
Vapor wrote:

Pfffft. you are american. you have it very easy by comparison with regards to vape gear purchases, even at home, that we dont have.

For us it is either China or B + Ms at home.
We are limited unlike Americans

#24 (permalink)      5/3/2016 7:05:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ambrougham
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 362
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos502
+1 details
It always winds me up when absolutely everyone wants their cut from absolutely anything and everything you do but Paypal rates aren't usually *that* bad. At least you know exactly what the rate is going to be before you commit to paying. Some Banks and Credit Card Companies would put Dick Turpin to shame when it comes to the amount they take, which you often only find out when the statement eventually turns up. It's also the rate applicable when they get around to processing the transaction rather than the rate at the specific time that you paid.

For GBP, I find Paypal is usually around 3-4 points below the current market exchange rate ... and the rate is pants again at the mo ! Also need to remember that any prices displayed on FT that are NOT in US $ are calculated using some historic (and usually significantly inaccurate) exchange rate rather than being based on on an even vaguely current rate. It's always best to work in $ and do the conversion yourself to check likely actual cost to you.

Edited on 5/3/2016 at 7:13 PM. Reason:
#25 (permalink)      5/3/2016 7:11:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
solmiler
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 72
  • Reviews 40
  • Kudos23
+1 details
You can avoid PayPal exchange rates by selecting to be charged in the currency the seller is using.
Go to Settings>Payment settings>Preapproved payments>Set Available Funding Sources>Conversion Options

Or if you get the old PayPal payment verification page there is "other conversion options"

You want the same amount and currency as listed on the site that you are buying from.
#26 (permalink)      5/3/2016 7:13:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MetisRebel
  • JoinedNov 2015
  • Posts 5309
  • Reviews 64
  • Kudos6256
+1 details
ShelaghStone wrote:

Vapor wrote:

Pfffft. you are american. you have it very easy by comparison with regards to vape gear purchases, even at home, that we dont have.

For us it is either China or B + Ms at home.
We are limited unlike Americans

To be fair we have some decent online retailers. The DIY juice places can be particularly good.

However, when it comes to choice and price on gear, FT beats them hands down. The other thing I like about FT is the ability to buy *parts* which are really limited with our onliners. And I have to say, some of them are outrageously priced. It takes some looking around. There's some deals to be found but it's never a very consistent supply whereas at FT, there's always some inexpensive goodies if ya hunt about awhile.

Edited on 5/3/2016 at 7:14 PM. Reason:
For The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terriers...
#27 (permalink)      5/3/2016 7:19:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23158
@ambrougham

agree the few points it costs for protection I feel is well worth every cent

To be fair we have some decent online retailers

We do?
Where? :)

But yes DIY is fine but even then, from here on in I will co-Purchase through TFA and purchase wholesale, at least for that brand and if I do big DIY orders, sometimes it is a bit less to order from the US for even after shipping, conversion, their DIY prices are better than ours, quite often. But it has to be a $200 or so order to make it worthwhile.

Y

ou can avoid PayPal exchange rates by selecting to be charged in the currency the seller is using.
Go to Settings>Payment settings>Preapproved payments>Set Available Funding Sources>Conversion Options

I believe with FT that would not work in our advantage??!! If I am wrong, please elaborate.

Personally I am fine with it as it is now.

Edited on 5/3/2016 at 7:20 PM. Reason:
#28 (permalink)      5/3/2016 7:20:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ambrougham
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 362
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos502
+2 details
solmiler wrote:

You can avoid PayPal exchange rates by selecting to be charged in the currency the seller is using.

Yeah I know ... but the problem is it's then down to the Card Company to do the conversion and historically, they've always tended to be even more of a ripoff than Paypal ! It's OK if you've got do$h coming into your Paypal A/C I suppose and also if you have particularly good terms on your card A/C but otherwise it's just a case of your Bank or Card Company taking (more than !) their fair share as opposed to Paypal.

Edited on 5/3/2016 at 7:24 PM. Reason:
#29 (permalink)      5/3/2016 8:53:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
mel9887
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 20
  • Reviews 36
  • Kudos5
+1 details
https://revolut.com/
I use this app to exchange euros to dollars! Every exchange is free and you only have to pay for the bank expenses(nearly 1 euro every time I tranfer money in my case). In this app you can exchange only euros, usd and british pounds I think but there are many other similar applications.
#30 (permalink)      5/4/2016 10:40:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
solmiler
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 72
  • Reviews 40
  • Kudos23
+1 details
ambrougham wrote:

Yeah I know ... but the problem is it's then down to the Card Company to do the conversion and historically, they've always tended to be even more of a ripoff than Paypal ! It's OK if you've got do$h coming into your Paypal A/C I suppose and also if you have particularly good terms on your card A/C but otherwise it's just a case of your Bank or Card Company taking (more than !) their fair share as opposed to Paypal.

Of course. But, at least, you have the option to check the exchange rates and choose.

Since I have been usin PP, my bank's exchange rates had been constantly 2-3% lower tha that of PayPal.

Edited on 5/4/2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason:
#31 (permalink)      5/4/2016 12:01:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vincom
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 30
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos6
+2 details
my mistake was using ft's conversion prices, i thought the order would go through as canadian $ as thats what i choose when viewing products.
i assumed wrong, even though i choose canadian it goes through as american at checkout