shopping cart empty
Laptop/vpn help needed...
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:36:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+1 details
Denial of service can not be dealt with with ordinary consumers routers/switch given the low bandwidth available to peoples.

Succesful DoS/DDoS sttscks are attacks that saturate all the bandwidth the targets have.

Other kind of OS specific attacks can be dealt with successfully with a good router or gateway, when configured properly.
#12 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:40:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 9675
  • Reviews 248
  • Kudos6364
+1 details
Moldy wrote:

I second the recommendation to make your own router. You can use just about any old computer to make a robust firewall/router...

Thanks for reminding me, i do still have my buddies old dell laptop with windows XP, borrowed it for my dad to accsess our home "cloud" storage since i guess windows 10 fucked that for people too.

Its pretty old but id be very happy and suprized if it did actualy have the hardware to make a hotspot if i used connectify. Its so old, i know it cant receive/send 5ghz ;)

In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#13 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:42:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1708
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1792
Skeeeets wrote:

Its pretty old but id be very happy and suprized if it did actualy have the hardware to make a hotspot if i used connectify. Its so old, i know it cant receive/send 5ghz ;)

The hardware requirements for either PFsense or OPNsense are so minimal that, even without knowing the machines specs, I'd be surprised if the laptop doesn't work wonderfully.

#14 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:45:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 9675
  • Reviews 248
  • Kudos6364
JPBel wrote:

Denial of service can not be dealt with with ordinary consumers routers/switch given the low bandwidth available to peoples.

So for most of the vpn services, that say "no more ddos for gamers", are bullshitting?

Is it still possible to send a ddos if your attacker has your wrong ip?

In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#15 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:58:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
A VPN is a protected communication channel within a network, be it a local network or internet.
It offer no protection against DoS attacks.
The origin IP might be harder to get but the gateway IP will be known and be the target instead.

Unless the gateway have a huge bandwidth available and/or its admins can block IPs upstream, there is not much that can be done against DDoS.
#16 (permalink)      6/13/2018 11:24:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
To be more accurate, and technical, DoS attacks fall in two categories.

-Bandwidth flooding
-Computing ressources grabing.

The first can only be contered by blocking the attackers IPs upstream and/or by having more bandwidth than the attackers bandwidth added together.

The other can be prevented with a router immune to SYN attacks in NAT mode.
#17 (permalink)      6/13/2018 11:53:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 9675
  • Reviews 248
  • Kudos6364
Well as far as im concerned, i dont think alotta 16 year old kids have the resources for massive attacks.
#18 (permalink)      6/14/2018 1:42:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1708
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1792
Skeeeets wrote:

Well as far as im concerned, i dont think alotta 16 year old kids have the resources for massive attacks.

They're probably running a script they found posted online by Russian hackers.

#19 (permalink)      6/14/2018 7:42:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
$0.10 rebate earned+2 details
Most of the scripts found on internet are the flooding type.
To be effective, the attacker only need a faster connection than the target, or, a botnet using others bandwidth to attack.
What kind of internet service do you have ?
For example: A 10Mb/10Mb internet connection and a single computer can easily saturate any ADSL connection.

The other scripts are exploits of old vulnerabilities that should have been patched by now.
Most new routers, and firmware updated ones, should provide protection against such attacks.
That said, once the inbound connections are authorised, most router will not protect against any vulnerabilities the software/game you are using might have, a VPN won't help in that case either.

Edited on 6/14/2018 at 7:46 AM. Reason:
#20 (permalink)      6/15/2018 5:12:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 9675
  • Reviews 248
  • Kudos6364
Well i had some fun learning.
Thanks for the shared knowladge JPBel

What kind of internet service do you have ?
For example: A 10Mb/10Mb internet connection and a single computer can easily saturate any ADSL connection.

Last night was the best....

Our router has no option to switch any connected devices to a "prefered" band. If anyone caught the dumbass thread i started yesterday, SKU 7695800 was ordered last night because of the control.

Tested your words out, about bandwith needed, sure is.

Used "loic"(most common ddos program) to spam my own network, it got pretty slow pretty damn fast (letting me know our internet sucks ass). Tried out my buddies ip and while it did "slow", not enough to do shit, it slowed my internet in the process.

Then to test the 2 vpn services i aquired recently. Had my buddy download "able and cain", every ones bestest most favorited ip sniff/grabberer, and attempt to grab my ip. One vpn(betternet) did end up showing my ip... but the other (speedify) held up with keeping my ip hidden.

Think im in the safe, so far...

Now the wait for the wifi card/usb to step the process further.

Edited on 6/15/2018 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Added quote i found most helpfull
#21 (permalink)      6/15/2018 5:25:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 9675
  • Reviews 248
  • Kudos6364
OMG....

THE TIP OPTION FOR MOBILE FUCKING WORKS!!!