Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

I'll be comparing this to the authentic. Anyone else have one?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      6/16/2022 2:35:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Torkpork
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 59
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos22
I'll be comparing this to the authentic. Anyone else have one?
It should be with me in 10-14 days and I have an authentic DLC version, with I think every optional extra you can get. Fixed air pins, extensions, reduced chimneys, steam tuners caps etc etc.

I'll be very interested to find out how close this is and if the authentic extras and third party bits are compatible. I'm a huge fan of the authentic so on one hand I will be happy to have another one for $14(anniversary code) but on the other left with a nagging feeling the authentic was a sub-optimal investment. The last time I bought a clone of an authentic I had previously, the Vega rda(which I love) it was entirely 1:1 with completely interchangeable parts.

If anyone else has an authentic they could compare and share, that would be excellent.
#2 (permalink)      6/17/2022 3:02:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4851
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3042
I've never been much of a fan of the Tripod, however I only own the Wejoy-tech version,(this SKU also, I believe) It is 1 to 1, so depending on your non-authentic version, you may at the very least have replacement parts. I do know one thing, and that is that Ulton versions tend not to be 1 to 1, and often that carries over to parts not being interchangeable. They are usually fine on their own merits - just not 1 to 1, exact clones.

Hope you enjoy the Carbon-coated tripod, it's definitely a looker. I have recently signed up for an authentic DLC GT5, which should release later this summer. That's more my style, and I am equally filled with excitement, and the dread of paying 269.99 for an atomizer - something I very rarely do!

Edited on 6/17/2022 at 3:04 AM
What does he mean when he says words?
#3 (permalink)      6/18/2022 4:02:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sanyipace
  • JoinedJun 2022
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
I prefer genuine products to substitutes.
#4 (permalink)      6/18/2022 6:38:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Torkpork
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 59
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos22
carrion4worm wrote:

I have recently signed up for an authentic DLC GT5, which should release later this summer. That's more my style, and I am equally filled with excitement, and the dread of paying 269.99 for an atomizer - something I very rarely do!

I had a GT2 clone back in the day. I didn't get on great with it but I wasn't fully committed to making RTAs work. Until just before the pandemic I had squonked exclusively for a very very long time, so I've since put in the effort with RTAs and would probably have a different opinion of the taifun now. I was impressed by how diabolical my wicking skills were after an aeon of squonking. I'm mostly over it now and wicking an RTA doesn't feel like rolling dice any more.

#5 (permalink)      7/27/2022 1:18:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Torkpork
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 59
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos22
I've not yet tried all the authentic extras on it but a few tanks later... it's coming off as better than the "real" thing. The finish is different, for sure. The authentic has a more matte/textured feel, albeit very slight and the clone is definitely more like a traditional shiny black paint... but that aside, separating the tank from the deck and the top cap from the tank is easier/more fluid. You could argue that tolerances on the authentic are tighter, which they are, but in practice it makes it slightly more annoying to work with.

I'll try out all the extras and things over the next few days. Also, I seen some posts asking if it had the removable chimney reducer - it does.