Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+
25-pack

Are V.V coils any good? Why 6 wraps?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#41 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:02:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1913
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4971
+1 details
Crispycritters,

TY, I agree already, just wondered if carrion4worm did
semantics and a buzz can confuse many a member
#42 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:04:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3700
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2308
Crispycritters wrote:

TY4LOL wrote:
re-bending and re-forming the coil/legs to add another 1/2 turn will lengthen the total length of the twisted wire used

perhaps I phrasing it wrong
what will happen to a coil's resistance if I add 1 1/2 mm to the total length of wire used?

It will slightly raise the resistance because the length of wire being used in the coil will be longer

Re forming the same wire will not change the resistance. you squeezed extra length out by stretching it, which will result in hot spots or broken/burnt wires possibly.

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 11:05 PM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#43 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:09:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1913
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4971
+1 details
not stretching, straightening one leg, winding more of a turn around, then re-bending the leg in a different position of the coil
thereby slightly lengthening the total finished length of wire used in the coil
#44 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:10:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3700
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2308
If you buy a premade coil, how do you think they know what the resistance is? Yes, the length. Jesus, stop typing to me, I already know what's up! but seriously, just think about it....you are missing the simple stuff. Seriously.

Do you even know what resistance is? I explained it earlier in this thread. More physical, real metal adds resistance.

Altering, re-arranging, or forming a 1 foot piece of wire is the same resistance as a 1 foot, straight piece of wire, right?

And buzz or not TY, it sounds like you need a subohm tank. Not even joking. You are wrong about everything, lol. Be careful, at least, I think language is the real barrier, I hope!

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 11:12 PM. Reason:
#45 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:17:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1913
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4971

More physical, real metal adds resistance.

please expand, I'm lost there

Altering, re-arranging, or forming a 1 foot piece of wire is the same resistance as a 1 foot, straight piece of wire, right?

but the finished length of the wire used varies in how one uses the coil
how much gets cut off of that 1 foot changes

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason:
#46 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:17:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3700
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2308
Okay TY, I just thought of another way to try to explain it: Think of the wire as single, 28G round wire...now, if you unwind a wrap, or do this or that, are you changing the length of that piece of round wire? No, you are not.

Yes, multi wire coils have space between them where you can "cheat" a little here or there, but all you are doing is hurting the coil and damaging the wire., making one spot "tight" and other spot "loose"...it's "artificial" lengthening, and it definitely DOES NOT add metal, which is what causes the resistance.

That's all I got, bud. Lower resistance? cut some off...
Higher resistance? Buy a different premade coil, or buy a spool, and try making your own. Keep in mind, that many people go through many spools of different wire before settling on what's "good" for them, vape and resistance wise.

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 11:22 PM. Reason:
#47 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:19:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos280
+1 details
TY4LOL wrote:

but those pictured are only 5 1/2
one leg comes from the bottom and one from the top

remember this post?
By the way - it is simple enough to raise the resistance of most pre-wound coils simply by using each leg to add an extra half wrap to each side of the coil (which can also make them longer - yes that is also possible).

I know exactly what you are getting at, it is in fact 5 1/2 full turns of wire - but when coils have the legs facing in the same direction they are rounded up and described as a 6 wrap.

If you need coils with opposing legs it is easy enough to use the excess length of the coil legs to add an extra half turn, or - if this makes the coil too wide you can take off half a turn (both will change the resistance slightly but only by about 0.01 to 0.02 ohms so its nothing to worry about.

#48 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:20:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1913
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4971
+1 details
yes sliding the wrapped wires across the core to thin them is a bad idea
using more or less of the legs is my point
#49 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:23:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1913
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4971
+1 details
TY Crispycritters
it's splitting hairs, but true none the less
only trying to make sense and peace here
#50 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:32:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos280
+1 details
TY4LOL wrote:

yes sliding the wrapped wires across the core to thin them is a bad idea
using more or less of the legs is my point

Don't even try mate.

When carrion gets on one of his 'I'm right' gigs he'll never give up or back down - regardless of how wrong he gets it.

He's claiming if you remove a wrap of 28G the wire length will be the same, therefore the resistance is the same - and totally ignoring the fact that it is the resistance when you fit the coil and trim the legs that is relevant Not the resistance of the total wire used before it is fitted, trimmed, glowed and checked for hot spots.

Just look at Steam Engine and check out a few simple builds and you'll clearly see the result of adding or removing wraps to any coil (prebuilt or not)

#51 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:35:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3700
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2308
We always send new employers to our tool crib for the always funny "board stretcher". Maybe I need to get to work designing that "wire glue" so I can add wire to lower resistance.

Good luck TY, Anyway you try it, that coil you have is not going to get any longer. It doesn't matter what is leg, or spiral, or before the grub screw, or after the grub screw. The electricity flows through the entire length of it, and re arranging the coil will not make the overall wire "grow" longer.

Oh, excuse me. RAISE resistance, for those only spot reading for "gotcha" chances....Fuck actually LEARNING something....gonna feel dumb when your mind finally "clicks"...it's so simple, but you keep thinking about coils, instead of premade coils.

Edited on 7/28/2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: