shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING
5-pack

Are V.V coils any good? Why 6 wraps?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:04:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1849
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4781
+1 details
but those pictured are only 5 1/2
one leg comes from the bottom and one from the top

remember this post?

By the way - it is simple enough to raise the resistance of most pre-wound coils simply by using each leg to add an extra half wrap to each side of the coil (which can also make them longer - yes that is also possible).

#32 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:07:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3574
  • Reviews 279
  • Kudos2248
TY4LOL wrote:

remember this post?
By the way - it is simple enough to raise the resistance of most pre-wound coils simply by using each leg to add an extra half wrap to each side of the coil (which can also make them longer - yes that is also possible).

Yeah, I remember it, he just made it. and he's sadly wrong, as I've just explained twice. If the length does not change, how are you rearranging molecules to become more dense with no extra metal?

What does he mean when he says words?
#33 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:15:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

I'm guessing "classic" means "correct", lol...I'll take another win! Yeah, stretch those coils, Crispy!!!!

No mate "classic"means something entirely different.

It is true you did say simply clipping the legs normally makes little difference (which nobody has a problem with) - the sentence IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THAT ONE where you said adding or removing a wrap won't make any difference to resistance is where your genius slipped. (and the reason people are pointing and laughing)

Its hard not to notice that you edited your post AFTER a few people called you out on it... I'm not sure why because you left the complete howler.

P.S. - using the extra leg length of pre-built coils to add an extra wrap isn't 'stretching' a coil - it is making use of what you material you already have if you want the coil to have higher resistance and increased coil to cotton ratio once fitted. It is common practice and basic build knowledge.

I suggested you actually check a coil building site to confirm for yourself, but you obviously didn't. But please don't bother - your ignorance is precious, and once gone - it can never be replaced.

#34 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:19:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3574
  • Reviews 279
  • Kudos2248
+1 details
Now you are just making stuff up. I am right, and you are looking dumber by the second. Try science. A premade coil resistance is set by length, period.

And no, stretching a coil to ruin is not an acceptable answer. We want even firing, well made, good looking coils installed, right?

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 10:23 PM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#35 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:26:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1849
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4781
+1 details
re-bending and re-forming the coil/legs to add another 1/2 turn will lengthen the total length of the twisted wire used

perhaps I phrasing it wrong
what will happen to a coil's resistance if I add 1 1/2 mm to the total length of wire used?
#36 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:50:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

TY4LOL wrote:

remember this post?
Yeah, I remember it, he just made it. and he's sadly wrong, as I've just explained twice. If the length does not change, how are you rearranging molecules to become more dense with no extra metal?

Every pre-built coil has longer legs than is actually needed - the resistance quoted is the resistance when the coils are fitted, the excess leg length trimmed away, and glowed until bedded in.

The resistance quoted is NOT for the total length of wire that the coil is made of - but the resistance.

If you use a single Coilology 3-26/36 coil for example, if used without adding or removing a wrap the resistance will be 0.21 (+/- 0.01 ohms).

If you use another coil from the same tub of 3-26/36 but remove a wrap the resistance will DROP to around 0.18 - 0.19 ohms because you will have to trim away more unwanted leg material.

If you use yet another coil but put it on a coiling rod and wind on an extra half wrap on each leg and fit this, the resistance will INCREASE to around 0.23 to 0.24 ohms because you are trimming away less excess leg material.

This is not magic, there is no "rearranging of molecules" or "stretching" of metal or any other artificial method of creating more - it is making use of the materials you already have and trimming away either more or less to give different length (or width if you prefer) and different resistance coils if needed from the same coils.

Hoot and laugh all you want, but when it comes to basic build knowledge you aren't anywhere near as knowledgeable as you believe yourself to be.

#37 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:53:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+1 details
*The resistance is not for the total length of the wire but the resistance when fitted.
#38 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:56:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

Also, adding or removing a wrap on a premade coil will change the size of the coil, but not the resistance. Usually just trimming the legs on a coil doesn't make much difference.Okay, what's wrong, good friend?

No = I'm not making stuff up Carrion - read the first sentence of your own post.

Adding or removing a wrap really, really will change the resistance.

#39 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:56:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

Also, adding or removing a wrap on a premade coil will change the size of the coil, but not the resistance. Usually just trimming the legs on a coil doesn't make much difference.Okay, what's wrong, good friend?

No = I'm not making stuff up Carrion - read the first sentence of your own post.

Adding or removing a wrap really, really will change the resistance.

#40 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:58:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+2 details
TY4LOL wrote:

re-bending and re-forming the coil/legs to add another 1/2 turn will lengthen the total length of the twisted wire used

perhaps I phrasing it wrong
what will happen to a coil's resistance if I add 1 1/2 mm to the total length of wire used?

It will slightly raise the resistance because the length of wire being used in the coil will be longer

#41 (permalink)      7/27/2021 11:02:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1849
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos4781
+1 details
Crispycritters,

TY, I agree already, just wondered if carrion4worm did
semantics and a buzz can confuse many a member