shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING
5-pack

Are V.V coils any good? Why 6 wraps?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      7/27/2021 7:59:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
tonypp
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 2695
  • Reviews 219
  • Kudos1742
Don't think I was having a dig at you. I was just trying to get my head around what you were saying. Like, am I missing something?

But I raised a ticket anyway, just to confirm 26*3/36. The photos don't look quite as heavy as they should.
#12 (permalink)      7/27/2021 8:04:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3574
  • Reviews 279
  • Kudos2248
tonypp wrote:

Don't think I was having a dig at you. I was just trying to get my head around what you were saying. Like, am I missing something?

But I raised a ticket anyway, just to confirm 26*3/36. The photos don't look quite as heavy as they should.

Not at all. I've a feeling that these "low priced" coils could be of another quality, or really just a great deal.

For instance, a 10 pack of .26 coils for the Requiem is a small but well wrapped Clapton....and only 4 wraps...cost 3.00 roughly.

In fact, I do not own any premade 6 wrap coils from VV.

Still, for the price, probably worth it.

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 8:09 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#13 (permalink)      7/27/2021 2:05:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3574
  • Reviews 279
  • Kudos2248
I've seen that mistake made by even relative "pros", so don't take it too hard, guys.

Adding wraps doesn't change length of a wire. Most of you are thinking of wrapping your own coils from a premade spool.

...but, instead of always trying to "gotcha!" Me, maybe it's time to just simply realize I know what I'm talking about....
#14 (permalink)      7/27/2021 2:39:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+1 details
Carefully check the specs of the 4 wrap 0.26 ohm wires against these and you will find they have totally different core wires, they both have a clapton outer wrap and made from Ni80 but it doesn't make them the same. The ohms per foot/metre is different for each wire

If you unwind a wrap the leg will become ridiculously long as you will be forced to clip a relatively long length from it or it will not fit in the tank - this WILL lower the resistance.

Don't take my word, or anyone else's - either check Steamengine, or put a coil in any tank you have, check the resistance - then remove it, unwind a wrap, re-insert and re-check. The resistance will drop because you are using a shorter length of the same resistance wire if you take a wrap off the coil
#15 (permalink)      7/27/2021 2:59:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 251
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos248
+2 details
tonypp wrote:

The wraps and ohms on the label check out for 3-26/36 wires.

I've used the Coilology and Wotofo equivalents frequently (both 5 wrap coils 3mm i.d.) the Coilology are claimed to be 0.21 ohms each and this seems to be pretty accurate once fitted and bedded in. The Wotofo coils claim 0.17 ohms each, but I've found them to be a little over 0.20 ohms and almost identical to the Coilology 3-26.

0.23 ohms sounds about right for a 6 wrap 3-26/36 Ni80 coil with a 3mm i.d. coil. I would be surprised if they are 2.5mm i.d. but checking before buying is always the way to go.

#16 (permalink)      7/27/2021 3:13:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6666
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos9859
+4 details
carrion4worm wrote:

I've seen that mistake made by even relative "pros", so don't take it too hard, guys.

Adding wraps doesn't change length of a wire. Most of you are thinking of wrapping your own coils from a premade spool.

...but, instead of always trying to "gotcha!" Me, maybe it's time to just simply realize I know what I'm talking about....

If you add a wrap or take a wrap away on a premade coil retaining the same ID you will have to cut more OR less away from the legs altering the resistance !!

But do come back with more of your self righteous bullshit which i will then ignore. :))

#17 (permalink)      7/27/2021 3:26:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5855
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3765
+6 details
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#18 (permalink)      7/27/2021 4:40:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2282
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1984
+3 details
carrion4worm wrote:

It's not "trying to 'gotcha' you", it's demonstrating that you're an idiot who doesn't know how electrical resistance works [b]at all[/i]. Among other things.

#19 (permalink)      7/27/2021 7:46:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3574
  • Reviews 279
  • Kudos2248
Sounds like sour grapes from essellar. Yeah, I've schooled you afew times too. Didn't know what Tactical meant....

The fact is several users didn't use their brain before posting, regardless of you coming in now, later, to do nothing. How could you gotcha me. After the fact? What point am I wrong on, huh? Thought so, bitch ass.

When you are right you're right, and I am right. So suck on it, dummies.

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 8:36 PM. Reason:
#20 (permalink)      7/27/2021 8:06:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3574
  • Reviews 279
  • Kudos2248
Richy7 wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:

If you add a wrap or take a wrap away on a premade coil retaining the same ID you will have to cut more OR less away from the legs altering the resistance !!

But do come back with more of your self righteous bullshit which i will then ignore. :))

That's great. Now your on the right track. I knew once you realized your error you would backtrack....I mean, you learned from the best!

#21 (permalink)      7/27/2021 8:26:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3574
  • Reviews 279
  • Kudos2248
Richy7 wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:

And if you cut it, it's not the same length anymore....see? That was my point. Oh, also...How do you cut "less" of a premade coil? You cannot raise the resistance, period.

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 8:34 PM. Reason: