shopping cart empty
Tank held on by O-Rings, a percription for disaster.
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      1/7/2021 8:11:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Kilzz
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 159
  • Reviews 85
  • Kudos120
The base screws into the mod. Then you are going to place a tank full of juice on it and fill it up making it heavy. While the o-rings might (a very big might considering its sold on FT) hold the tank on, eventually they will fail. All it will take at some point is not holding it upright and the weight of the tank, a coating of ejuice on the orings, and gravity will cause it to fall off of the base. That or drop it and then juice goes everywhere. I have seen this before with the old kayfun extension tanks. Remember there are two types of vapers. Those that have dropped a mod and those that will drop a mod.

Edited on 1/7/2021 at 8:11 PM. Reason:
#12 (permalink)      1/7/2021 8:50:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2064
  • Reviews 247
  • Kudos1098
Kilzz wrote:

The base screws into the mod. Then you are going to place a tank full of juice on it and fill it up making it heavy. While the o-rings might (a very big might considering its sold on FT) hold the tank on, eventually they will fail. All it will take at some point is not holding it upright and the weight of the tank, a coating of ejuice on the orings, and gravity will cause it to fall off of the base. That or drop it and then juice goes everywhere. I have seen this before with the old kayfun extension tanks. Remember there are two types of vapers. Those that have dropped a mod and those that will drop a mod.

The only way is if you dont screw on the tank. that locks everything in place, much like most every other tank out there. Watch a video, this is really a very normal tank. I noticed one reviewer actually had to remove one of the three o-rings, as it was TOO tight.(if you drop it, it wont come off ,likely just break the tank, like all other tanks)

But, if it ain't for you, there's lots more out there!

Edited on 1/7/2021 at 9:04 PM. Reason:
Insert idiotic mantra here.
#13 (permalink)      1/8/2021 7:57:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ManUtd22
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 215
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos26
carrion4worm wrote:

Prescription for disaster? Not at all, but perhaps if you carry your mod jogging or during high impact aerobics (lol) or similar, you may want to choose another that you are more comfortable with. I don't own this, and never will, (v8 is a disaster) but quite a few tanks work quite well with friction fit, or turn to lock style systems.

How is v8 a disaster ?
I have the v9 and that’s a beautiful vape I was thinking of buying the v8.

#14 (permalink)      1/8/2021 6:17:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2064
  • Reviews 247
  • Kudos1098
Small wicking holes that love to give dry hits. The V9 looks much better, with large inlets. I have two SXK v8's--they SUCK!!! Maybe 50/50 juice could wick...70/30 no. 60/40 sometimes...
#15 (permalink)      1/16/2021 3:21:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MC202_FT
  • JoinedSep 2017
  • Posts 78
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos26
+1 details
Kilzz wrote:

If you force the tank laterally with a finger, practically nothing happens (and of course nothing happens from the weight of the tank only): I, too, initially thought the old v.7/v.8 system to be better, but then I realized that the new style has IMHO no real drawbacks (maybe the "old" screw type JFC was more precise, but it can also be the old habit speaking)

IIRC those Kayfun tanks you are referring to had a single o-ring and a minimal metal seating (like SKU 9472701 ), while this has three o-rings and a remarkably long "neck" portion of metal base in between.

I had the original BY Ka v.9 (5ml version) to test and play with for a couple of days, and I actually had to open the tank pulling it straight and with some force (and I suppose that a clone, if decently built, should behave the same).

AFAIK of all the people that are posting about BY-Ka v.9 on italian vaping forums, nobody is complaining about it opening by accident.
Of course, they are still new... but, eventually, for the future we also have spare o-ring sets, don't we?

#16 (permalink)      1/17/2021 1:36:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
The_Masteres
  • JoinedJan 2019
  • Posts 420
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos130
+1 details
As a FEV daily user, i can assure you that o-rings are a plus, absolutely no disaster.
#17 (permalink)      1/19/2021 9:01:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15029
  • Reviews 373
  • Kudos28988
+1 details
I had only one RTA in the far past where the tank was purely held by o-rings, the Heron. Which was absolutely safe. So why this one wouldn't work.
With the FEV (all my ones are about 4 years old so have no clue about the manufacturers) I happened to pull off the tank from the base (before finding the right fitting o-rings), but at least you don't loose your juice when it comes.
#18 (permalink)      1/19/2021 9:11:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 567
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos899
+1 details
The Patibulum is also held by o-rings, never had an issue.
#19 (permalink)      2/14/2021 6:42:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Pigscunt
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 7
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1
I've been using the SXK V9 KA every day for 2 weeks now, and it definitely get's a thumbs up from me. No issues whatsoever. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best RTA's I've tried (and I've tried a few). I take it to work and throw it in my handbag on it's side; put it in the various different pockets (on it's side) of my different work coats; I have dropped it on the floor multiple times. I'm a fencing contractor so the days are rough physically.

I understand what's being alleged about the o-rings and it's not unreasonable to assume that they could be problematic, but the male/female shaft/orifice are both pretty extensive, fit well, and have three o-rings for good measure; and this seems to have worked well so far.

There's still time yet though. I'll post an update if eliquid starts pissing out of the joint.

The Sputnik has the same kind of set-up but not the same kind of set-up (if you get what I mean). Some times when I pick it up, the tank is cocked and I have to reposition it. I guess this is because there are only 2 o-rings and the surface contact area is only about a third of that on the KAV9.
#20 (permalink)      2/14/2021 7:44:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2064
  • Reviews 247
  • Kudos1098
Pigscunt wrote:

I've been using the SXK V9 KA every day for 2 weeks now, and it definitely get's a thumbs up from me. No issues whatsoever. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best RTA's I've tried (and I've tried a few). I take it to work and throw it in my handbag on it's side; put it in the various different pockets (on it's side) of my different work coats; I have dropped it on the floor multiple times. I'm a fencing contractor so the days are rough physically.

I understand what's being alleged about the o-rings and it's not unreasonable to assume that they could be problematic, but the male/female shaft/orifice are both pretty extensive, fit well, and have three o-rings for good measure; and this seems to have worked well so far.

There's still time yet though. I'll post an update if eliquid starts pissing out of the joint.

The Sputnik has the same kind of set-up but not the same kind of set-up (if you get what I mean). Some times when I pick it up, the tank is cocked and I have to reposition it. I guess this is because there are only 2 o-rings and the surface contact area is only about a third of that on the KAV9.

Just like all my rdas work perfectly as well...I think OP thought he had a valid point, until reasoning crept in.