Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Zero flavour from mesh deck
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      11/16/2020 7:49:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
+1 details
https://www.fasttech.com/products/9703237
https://www.fasttech.com/p/9696824

That's what I got for my kylin. Both work fine.

I was overzealous and ordered like 20 mesh coils specifically for the supreme v3 too. I'm hoping they will work on the Kylin! Haven't tried yet. But I imagine they will work on it as well.

EDIT: Yeah the steam craves will work on the kylin too. Both that I use on Kylin are:
HEIGHT 6.8 mm
WIDTH 16 mm
So as long as you have these dimensions it will work.

I also hadn't tried mesh long after it became popular and tbh am very happy that I decided to give it a shot. I re-use coils maybe 3-4 times, so I use one coil per month and dry burn/wash it once per week with new cotton. Remember to wash SS316 after dry burning to a red glow because SS produces some toxic molecules at high temp which are dissolved by water.

Edited on 11/16/2020 at 7:56 AM. Reason:
#12 (permalink)      11/16/2020 8:31:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5759
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4114
"(the mesh coils themselves are rated for 50-80W so I am vaping them below the minimum suggested, haha)."

I think I posted exactly what I used them at on the other thread about this. I didn't get to 80W, but hit them from what I remember a bit higher than what you are saying. I think that might account for a bit of the differences.

"As expected from such a short atty. Supremes are too tall and that side airflow is doing it no favors."

I tend to enjoy side airflow more than the bottom airflow on RTAs, but not RDA's. I like the bottom more allot of the time with an RDA. Taste is very subjective with that stuff. I think the main point that I really agree with is the height. It's like a big engine vs a small with a turbo, there is no replacement for displacement. A shorter RTA is almost like a cheat to get good flavor. What chimney did you use on the V3? I feel like the mesh might be better with the tighter chimney but I have not tried that yet, I only used the larger one.

"SC decks are still modular, tiny pieces that you need to individually attach to an atty. Then if you pulse too much it can even burn your fingers if you touch the deck."

I have a cheat for this being in Florida I have a fan going all the time under my desk. So I just hold the deck in front of the fan for a bit and it's nice and cool. I definitely understand the annoyance you found with this though.

"the space for the cotton is TINY. It's just not a good design if you ask me. Not to mention how prone it is to leaking from the bottom. To me, this design is already ancient and obsolete."

I find the cotton space to be great on the dual or the single coil decks, but fully agree with you when it comes to the mesh deck. It would have been great if they found away to trim back some of the useless metal on the deck to give a larger wicking space. IMO steamcrave might need to work out some kinks on the mesh. What do I know though this was my first mesh RTA.

As for the leaking from the bottom, I don't get any of that as long as the deck is perfectly fitted into it's notched area. I have gotten this on the plus when I failed to line it up properly. User error and once I fixed that no issues with bottom leaks again.

Personally I feel like it is a pretty dialed in RTA in regards to everything but the mesh. The mesh I felt like was a worth it addition to the kit. I would have liked to see it done better, but I didn't hate the vape from it. My feeling is I needed to really dial in my cotton to try to get to at least the 75-ish wattage area and then it would probably shine. I felt like if I hit it harder then I was, I was going to dry hit and having heard how mesh is the worst dry hit I didn't want to push it more.

The dual coil with my 26x2 36 over kanthal claptons the larger chimney with light fluffy cotton is giving me a really fantastic vape. It's a balancing act with RTA's though, a little more coil and it wont be as good, a little more cotton and it wont be as good. If you have found your end game in the Kylin mesh, I definitely want to give it a shot at some point. I will probably wait for a nice sale on it. I am sorry to hear your experience with the V3 was not good, I think if you fiddle with it more you will get what your looking for. Understand that you don't want to though with how much you like and how easy you feel like the Kylin is though.
#13 (permalink)      11/16/2020 8:32:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
steamer861
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 111
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos103
+2 details
I found with the Kylin M & the Zues X Mesh the capacity was lacking :( They both work very well, but I need to refill every 2 hours :( I have the SC mesh deck & my first attempt to use it I wasn't to impressed either! However I have since put the mesh deck in my Plus V1 & it is working excellently! It is working as good or even a little better than a single Clapton was working in my V1 :) 10 or 15mil capacity really reduces the refill time with the Mesh deck.

I found to get the SC Mesh Deck to work well I needed to make sure the cotton was really tight under the mesh & really loose in the juice well.

Edited on 11/16/2020 at 8:33 AM. Reason:
#14 (permalink)      11/16/2020 8:52:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
+2 details
@ EternalSpline

I agree with these points, more or less entirely. The supreme v3 is just as good, or even better than v2 in some regards and I've used supreme v2 for years. It was my most reliable atty and I am familiar with all of their bits and quirks.

The bottom can leak more on some models than others depending on imperfections with production and I've noticed it can also leak if you flood the atty.

But yes, supreme tanks work amazingly well when done correctly. Which is I why I just recommend not getting it ONLY for the mesh experience, as it will be lackluster when compared to dedicated mesh atties. For a dual coil experience it is still amazing and hands down the best-made RDTA. But it almost feels like the mesh is false advertising, haha.

@ steamer861

I hear you about the capacity. At first I tried to use the Kylin with the normal glass and it was hilarious. Refills every 30 mins - hour. Bubble tank makes it a bit less painful but I am so used to it, it doesn't bother me at all.
#15 (permalink)      11/16/2020 9:06:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5759
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4114
"Which is I why I just recommend not getting it ONLY for the mesh experience, as it will be lackluster when compared to dedicated mesh atties."

Yeah well I guess I still need to give mesh a shot then on a dedicated. I was pretty ready to write it off as kind of meh it was kind of what reviewers have said. You make some really good points though, I will give dedicated a shot.

Hopefully SC will re-evaluate the mesh deck they did, and come out with something better. It's a shame that mesh users are not finding it up to expectations. For a first mesh experience it just seemed like what reviewers that are anti mesh have been saying about it.
#16 (permalink)      11/16/2020 9:32:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
+1 details
I would personally love to see a brand new desing from SC. They have been riding the exact same train for multiple years now. It's only updated in tiny increments and small visual changes.

I'd like to see a new approach in general - get rid of the atom-size decks, have the deck be a part of the whole bottom section of the atty, experiment with bottom airflow which is also not prone to any leaking, etc. The supremes are pretty much as best as they can get with the current design.
#17 (permalink)      11/16/2020 10:09:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5759
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4114
"I'd like to see a new approach in general - get rid of the atom-size decks, have the deck be a part of the whole bottom section of the atty, experiment with bottom airflow which is also not prone to any leaking, etc. The supremes are pretty much as best as they can get with the current design."

Yeah I hope they are done with this after the V3, I think it is as good as it can get for what they are doing.

I would love to see them come out with a modular design. I don't think that would work for other companies, but I think it would work great for them. They could basically design mostly the bottom build deck part and airflow, but make it compatible with other pieces. I think it would be a great addition to the line up. You could have all different chimneys, and decks, and airflows, and apart from top AF you could keep the tank the same, but also do short tops for the best flavor. I think that would keep it interesting, and they already have some good cross compatibility with the products.
#18 (permalink)      12/15/2020 7:35:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5759
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4114
I got that Kylin Mesh in on Monday evening. Tossed a mesh strip in and some cotton. Hmmm, so initial thoughts on mesh are unfortunately kind of the same. I agree though the flavor on this mesh is better then the SC mesh for the V3 from my very limited experience trying it. No and I mean no heat from this one too though. It's a weird vape when you are accustomed to two dual core claptons. The break in time for my cotton is a bit longer because there is so much damn cotton. Is there a better mesh strip version for it then the 4 that come with it?

Overall I will enjoy this in the collection, but I still feel like mesh is just not for me.

Pros for it, I can run this on a single battery 18650 mod and get decent vapor production and OK battery life if I want to go that route. I was running it at 60W, but actually find it better right now at 45W. So that's a pro.

Flavor is good. Vapor production is good.

Looking forward to trying this with a big single coil, and possibly some silly things that I wouldn't normally try. So fun with the deck I will add as a pro.

Cons for it, zero heat. I don't even like a vape that is that warm really or so I thought. This mesh is NO heat and I miss that on every vape.

The vape feels more wet, less actually vaporized liquid feeling. Not full on swamp ass wet, but not what I look for. Flavor could be partially to do with less vaporized liquid hitting your mouth. Kind of early to know for sure, but it feels like it's a good theory. Also the flavor is a bit different then on a dual clapton coil. I wont call it better or worse just different flavors come out. It is even a bit of a pro, I kind of want to try some liquids I don't love on it to see if they are better.

Extra cotton extra break in time. I probably could have done better with this had I saturated the cotton and burned it in on the coil allot more then I did. Next time I wick it I will give that a try.

Last con, and it was also a pro. Instantly I was thinking of what else I could do with this deck. The reason that is a con and a pro was because I think things can be done with it so that is nice. The intended purpose being not up to what I hope for though makes it a con. If it was just a pro, I wouldn't be looking to change anything.
#19 (permalink)      1/31/2021 11:45:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
+1 details
Gotta say, I decided to give this atty a second chance just because Stream Crave make such good quality atomizers and machine them so well, and because I hadn't tried the single coil deck at all.

I'm really enjoying it now. Neither the mesh deck, nor the dual coil deck provided any particularly good experience but for some reason the single coil works really well and I think I'll switch to it for some time, it works really well.
#20 (permalink)      2/1/2021 1:15:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5759
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4114
I think you might have wicked to tightly with the dual deck then. For me that is the only way I can get it to give poor results.

If your wicking 70/30 thin them out allot. You want it tight in your coil, but thin in the wick channels. I pluck out the sides after I thin them with a comb out. Any chunky cotton just lightly pluck at it with tweezers. What you have in the end in your wick channels should be easy to move around in there, and shouldn't poke out the holes at the bottom.

I own two now, planing to buy another one at least.
#21 (permalink)      2/1/2021 2:58:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
I've wicked it exactly like I wicked all my other supremes that I've used over years, there is no issue with the wicking. Rather I just found the airflow and flavor from the single deck to be different and more enjoyable for me. The mesh deck is just crap and I'd recommend another one like kylin M if you want to do mesh. But the single deck on this one is great and obviously requires 50% of the effort needed to wick the dual deck :P