Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Zero flavour from mesh deck
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      11/15/2020 3:40:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
Zero flavour from mesh deck
Finally received the atty and as usual, the machining and quality is astounding. Steam Crave really make the most well-made tanks.

But the flavour from the mesh deck is non-existent. Cannot sense almost anything, it's like vaping unflavoured juice.

Once gain I am convinced Kylin M is the best mesh atty out there. It's the easiest ever to build and the flavor - while not the best ever - is miles ahead than what this one produces.

I am not sure if the other decks would be any different, but the mesh deck is just an utter disappointment. Also a bit harder to build on it due to the unique deck design and the limited space on it.

It's funny as I'm vaping the same juice from both Kylin and Supreme v3, both mesh decks, and you'd swear the supreme one is unflavoured juice.

If this had decent taste then it'd would be up there with the best because of it's impeccable quality and great, buttery smooth vape production.

Edited on 11/15/2020 at 3:53 PM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      11/16/2020 1:33:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
The_Masteres
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2019
  • Posts 528
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos167
Kylin M has good flavor indeed. That is surprising that this one has no flavor ... How about the other decks?
#3 (permalink)      11/16/2020 2:15:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
+1 details
Currently trying the postless deck and it is as good as it was with the supreme v2. But my interest was specifically in a mesh-deck supreme tank, not coil-based. The mesh is definitely a very misleading part of the advertising - it is as good as nothing. Like, I'd refund this tank if I could because of it. I have no intentions of wasting my time building a dual coil postless deck every week like I did in the past. It simply requires way too much effort for the experience it provides. Going back to the Kylin M :)

Edited on 11/16/2020 at 2:27 AM. Reason:
#4 (permalink)      11/16/2020 3:49:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Johnnyace
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 316
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos150
Have you tried flipping the airflow ring? I think you're supposed to for the mesh & single coil decks else the airflow feels off
#5 (permalink)      11/16/2020 4:09:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
+1 details
That won't change anything, I use the biggest grill at about 50% closed so it won't really make a difference. The side airflow is what makes this so bad in combination with the small surface area of the mesh itself. I don't know what I expected, I guess I was just optimistic.

Which is why the postless deck produces better flavour - it's two bigger coils. The steam crave flavor at its best is still just about "good" but it's never been the best and never will be until they design a 100% bottom airflow atty with a shorter chimney.

Just compare something like The Troll RTA to a dual-coil supreme v2/v3 and the troll will always blow it out of the water completely. Sadly, the troll is prone to breaking and leaking and I am 100% done with spending 30 mins - 1 hour on building tanks every week. With the Kylin, I build it in 5-10 mins and it's done. No leaking, good flavour, good build quality, easy to refill, short profile and bubble glass. I am also not going back to slow ramp-up times and do not like pre-heat gimmicks. The mesh coils start chugging vapour nearly instantly without any preheat and I love that.

The length of the chimney combined with 100% side airflow just makes for a crap experience when it comes to flavour. Otherwise the tank vapes like a champ.

I'd say only get this tank if you plan to use the single or dual coil decks. Look elsewhere for mesh.

Edited on 11/16/2020 at 4:16 AM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      11/16/2020 7:20:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12691
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19252
Sorry to hear that. I have been debating as to buying this tank but I just wasn't 100% sold on it. I had the original SC but thought the flavour was muted. But like you, was impressed enough with the quality of it I keep looking at new versions.

The Kylin Mini is more my style although I am a dual coil person. Like you, I am tired of dealing with atomizers that need work every time you wick them.

Think I will pick up one of these Kylins for ease of use outdoors. I am particular to top airflow when an atomizer is kicking around in my coat pockets. No leaking, etc.
#7 (permalink)      11/16/2020 7:28:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
I am guessing that Kylin Mini has even better flavour than the M. Might even get one just out of curiosity but mesh decks are so convenient that I just don't feel like I'll ever go back to normal claptons. Kylin M is for sure a perfect choice for a pocket atty, it requires a lot of effort to make it leak, like totally messing up the cotton.

And this is coming from a person who has 6 or 7 Steam crave atties. I've been using supreme v2 for years before the kylin. I have 3 supreme v2 (black,gun,silver) and previous models too... Used to make dual chimney clapton coils and they worked gloriously, but there's always this chance of the cotton not saturating correctly, or saturating too much with the tiny juice holes SC tanks have on their decks. It was a lot of fiddling and I still did it but DAMN I am just tired of this effort. Particularly the chimney coils that required me to stick the cotton and then attach the coils after that, lmao. I then just used the postless deck normally but even that requires fiddling.

Mesh is far too convenient and it just starts chugging vapor as soon as you hit the button at wattage as low as ~40W, so extra battery too (versus dual claptons at 50-60W and more).
#8 (permalink)      11/16/2020 7:31:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5780
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4136
This was the only mesh I have tried. I might have to try that Kylin Mesh now.

I didn't find it to be as flavorless as your saying. My issue with it is that the wicking needs allot of fiddling with it. The cotton from the coil is so massive for the wicking ports so you really have to trim it way way down.

Then once you do all that mesh has no heat to it, so it didn't feel like I was vaping. You exhale vapor, but it's just not the same it feels like nothing.

Does the Kylin have any heat to it at all?

The dual coil takes me no time to build. I know exactly how thin I want my cotton, and how long to cut my coil legs so it's done fast. Maybe 10 minutes for a rebuild as long as there are no weird burn in issues.

I use a different method for cotton then I see most people using. I take tweezers and pluck the thick spots on the ends until the thickness of the cotton is how I like it. Then I cut the really loose strands that stick out so it is even across it.
#9 (permalink)      11/16/2020 7:41:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
I hear you, and honestly I am just rusty. I had my dual coil build memorized to the last bit and was very fast. Last night I played for like 40 minutes making a perfect dual coil on the postless, and it's just like supreme v2. Nothing that I needed to buy. I can get back in shape but it's just not worth the extra effort for me unless I really, really want to chug massive clouds, and I am OK with just decent clouds from a single mesh.

As for heat, I think that really depends on your wattage and the density of the cotton. The way I build is that it works really well at 40-45W for a somewhat cool vape, and that's what I love anyway. I am guessing if you make the cotton a bit more thinned out at both ends it will handle a lot more wattage (the mesh coils themselves are rated for 50-80W so I am vaping them below the minimum suggested, haha).

I am sure I can get more flavor out of the supreme v3 mesh with a highly-concentrated and more steeped juices, but I compared it to kylin with the same juice bottle and the kylin is just better. As expected from such a short atty. Supremes are too tall and that side airflow is doing it no favors.

Oh, and the kylin is way easier to build on. SC decks are still modular, tiny pieces that you need to individually attach to an atty. Then if you pulse too much it can even burn your fingers if you touch the deck. And the space for the cotton is TINY. It's just not a good design if you ask me. Not to mention how prone it is to leaking from the bottom. To me, this design is already ancient and obsolete. Kylin is just better-designed for actual, practical usage and low effort.

Edited on 11/16/2020 at 7:47 AM. Reason:
#10 (permalink)      11/16/2020 7:41:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12691
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19252
Looking around here and at home, it seems replacement bubble glass for the kylin mini is sold out everywhere.
Still looking but wouldn't buy one without a couple extra.

What is the SKU for the mesh needed for the Kylin Mini?

Never tried mesh before..but am usually a dual coil single strand 0.25 SS coil user
#11 (permalink)      11/16/2020 7:49:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Broko
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 207
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos63
+1 details
https://www.fasttech.com/products/9703237
https://www.fasttech.com/p/9696824

That's what I got for my kylin. Both work fine.

I was overzealous and ordered like 20 mesh coils specifically for the supreme v3 too. I'm hoping they will work on the Kylin! Haven't tried yet. But I imagine they will work on it as well.

EDIT: Yeah the steam craves will work on the kylin too. Both that I use on Kylin are:
HEIGHT 6.8 mm
WIDTH 16 mm
So as long as you have these dimensions it will work.

I also hadn't tried mesh long after it became popular and tbh am very happy that I decided to give it a shot. I re-use coils maybe 3-4 times, so I use one coil per month and dry burn/wash it once per week with new cotton. Remember to wash SS316 after dry burning to a red glow because SS produces some toxic molecules at high temp which are dissolved by water.

Edited on 11/16/2020 at 7:56 AM. Reason: