Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Flavor?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/17/2021 4:55:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1094
Flavor?
How is your experience with this atomizer?

I've washed and cleaned it again and again but it still tastes like goat dung.

And, is there any way of removing the AFC ring?

Edited on 3/17/2021 at 7:08 PM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      3/17/2021 8:04:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
FoxVape
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 5053
  • Reviews 132
  • Kudos5594
+1 details
Gatok wrote:

I've washed and cleaned it again and again but it still tastes like goat dung.

I don't know about this particular RTA but ketchup and a toothbrush works wonders.

Edited on 3/17/2021 at 8:05 PM. Reason:
Two wolves fight within us. One is evil, one is good. The one that wins is the one we feed.
#3 (permalink)      3/17/2021 8:28:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2027
+1 details
My guess is that you've got a fundamental problem with the plastic used in the airflow section, and that if you were to give it to just about any random person to try, they wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about. It happens - some people are just really sensitive to things that wouldn't even register with other people, and fractional parts per billion is enough to trigger the "overpowering" bad taste. (I have my own problems with several things.) It may just be a matter of time, or it may be something that never goes away from your perspective. AFAIK, there's no way to take off the AFC ring that won't involve destroying the tank, and if the plastic's the problem, it wouldn't help anyway. (The plastic is there so you can get an actual MTL on this version, which the OG Ares didn't offer - it was about a 1.6mm draw fully closed off.)
#4 (permalink)      3/17/2021 9:04:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1094
FoxVape wrote:

I don't know about this particular RTA but ketchup and a toothbrush works wonders.

Ketchup? really?

I'll try it Tomorrow. Thanks.

#5 (permalink)      3/17/2021 9:22:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1094
essellar wrote:

My guess is that you've got a fundamental problem with the plastic used in the airflow section, and that if you were to give it to just about any random person to try, they wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about. It happens - some people are just really sensitive to things that wouldn't even register with other people, and fractional parts per billion is enough to trigger the "overpowering" bad taste. (I have my own problems with several things.) It may just be a matter of time, or it may be something that never goes away from your perspective. AFAIK, there's no way to take off the AFC ring that won't involve destroying the tank, and if the plastic's the problem, it wouldn't help anyway. (The plastic is there so you can get an actual MTL on this version, which the OG Ares didn't offer - it was about a 1.6mm draw fully closed off.)

It's strange, the bad taste is nothing I have experienced before, like machining oil or something like that. Could be the AFC plastic, who knows.

A shame, because I love everything else about this atomizer (except the post system). I'll give it a couple more weeks before sending it to collect dust.

Edited on 3/17/2021 at 9:31 PM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      3/18/2021 8:29:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 704
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos624
+2 details
Gatok wrote:

It's strange, the bad taste is nothing I have experienced before, like machining oil or something like that. Could be the AFC plastic, who knows. A shame, because I love everything else about this atomizer (except the post system). I'll give it a couple more weeks before sending it to collect dust.

It could well be machining oil - the slightest trace can make the best attys product that goat dung flavour you. I've had the same problem with a Vandy Vape Berserker a few years ago. and, just the same, repeated cleaning didn't achieve much.

Eventually I put it in a cup of undiluted dish washing soap/washing up liquid overnight, then scrubbing with a toothbrush while repeatedly rinsing with fresh water immersing in a bowl of hot water got rid of the skank.

For an RTA you will need to change all the o-rings - if they are contaminated with oil they are screwed and will produce a bad taste.

I would also change the coil - any wires that are contaminated with oils can produce the same rank taste - even glowing the wires doesn't always burn it off.

I hope this helps.

#7 (permalink)      3/18/2021 9:23:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1094
Crispycritters wrote:

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll try Ketchup and the dish washing soap overnight. And maybe sodium bicarbonate with vinegar.

#8 (permalink)      3/18/2021 9:32:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 704
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos624
+2 details
Gatok wrote:

Crispycritters wrote:
I hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll try Ketchup and the dish washing soap overnight. And maybe sodium bicarbonate with vinegar.

I forgot to mention - strip it down as much as possible and try to clean each part individually to get out anything trapped under the posts or peak insulators.

#9 (permalink)      3/18/2021 10:06:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1094
+2 details
Let's wait.

#10 (permalink)      3/18/2021 10:10:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2649
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos2117
+1 details
Gatok wrote:

Just in case you aren't aware, if you use vinegar, ensure it's spirit vinegar, not malt vinegar. You'd be surprised at how many people... ;-)

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#11 (permalink)      3/18/2021 10:14:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jubby
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 4367
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos16222
+3 details
Like crispycritter said but soak in alcohol. Toothbrush with dish soap and hot water.

*looking at your picture, I’d disassemble it it further. Machine oils on a single screw can carry that nasty flavor.

Edited on 3/18/2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason:
If you want on or off the list just let me know.