Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

No stainless steel wick?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      12/16/2019 2:57:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Bineva17
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 222
  • Reviews 63
  • Kudos92
+1 details
No stainless steel wick?
Hi guys and staff. The mod comes without SS wick, right?

On the Corona's official site the SS wick should be:

Material:Stainless steel 1.4301
Height:33.5mm
Outer diameter:3mm

The SKU 8760400 is

DEPTH 3 mm
HEIGHT 35 mm
WIDTH 3 mm

So does it fit?

Thanks!
#2 (permalink)      12/16/2019 4:39:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16126
  • Reviews 390
  • Kudos29796
My thoughts too.
This one looks nice but without SS ropes it's a "no" "no".
#3 (permalink)      12/16/2019 7:00:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2029
+3 details
To answer the question, yes, the wicks you linked will work. They may be a little tall, but that's okay - too short won't get up to the deck, but an extra 1.5mm won't get in the way and the cotton will still wick from there the way you want it to. (I wick all of my RDTAs this way using either rope or mesh, and there's room for a little slop in trimming. Too short won't work well at all, but too tall isn't a problem until it's WAY too tall - and it's darn near impossible to trim a millimetre off of a short length of 3/8"/3mm stainless cable.)
#4 (permalink)      12/16/2019 7:02:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16126
  • Reviews 390
  • Kudos29796
With what do you trim tour cables?
#5 (permalink)      12/16/2019 9:04:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2029
I usually cut cable with cable cutters. Call me old-fashioned. They're the metalworking equivalent of bypass pruning shears, squeezing the cable together as they cut rather than flattening it out.(EDM cutting is the way to go if you have access. If you use an abrasive/cutoff wheel you've got a lot of dust and fine swarf - some of which will be abrasives from the wheel - to clean before it's safe to vape. Ultrasonic should not be considered a "nice to have"; it's the only way to rock. You could finish an end with a mill and the right work-holding, provided that you're not trying to take a cut more than about 25% of the mill diameter at a go; at least the chips will be manageable and nothing but chips.)
#6 (permalink)      12/16/2019 9:14:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16126
  • Reviews 390
  • Kudos29796

I usually cut cable with cable cutters. Call me old-fashioned.

Sounds logic. =D And totally with you with that, being old fashioned in such things (I'm laughing at myself, don't worry! Just sometimes being very bad naming things in english.)
But the one I had, got ruined with some ticker cable long ago. So after that accident I preferred to keep my pruning shears only for plants ;) I still have some smaller cutters I wouldn't try on it either.

Thanks for the advises for the rest :)) I thought of the wheel, but will rather get an other (stronger) cable cutter.

#7 (permalink)      12/16/2019 3:55:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2029
If you're buying, make sure you get the kind that's used for wire rope. It's a rigger's tool; you won't find it under electrical supplies unless that electrical supplier also deals in massive antenna masts.

There's a similar thing with the same name that's made for cutting coax cable, but it's made with very sharp, thin blades to keep the electrical characteristics of the cable in place (it won't mess up the insulator too much or tear up the braided sleeve) - the blades on those things aren't nearly tough enough for wire rope. You'll only get one or two cuts before they're done, and the handles on them are short enough that those cuts are going to be ridiculously hard.

Edited on 12/16/2019 at 4:30 PM. Reason: