shopping cart empty
Air is not viscous, nor is it heavier than air
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      3/1/2020 9:43:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
xandwhyisY
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 556
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos481
I don't agree with your statement, but I understand the argument.
While the atty is under pressure the air will travel a relatively straight path, but the velocity at which you apply that pressure can change that path drastically. Then when you add other variables like coil, wick, liquid, condensation etc., any of these small variations can create a hell of a lot of turbulence, which in turn leads to a poor vape.
It's also good to remember that heat is being applied at the centre of an RDA, and that after a draw or two the internal temp of the RDA is going to be hotter than the cooler air being drawn in. Now you have intense heat at the centre, a hot internal chamber, and cool high velocity air rushing in through the airflow. The cool air you are drawing in is denser than the air in the chamber, this is why the path is not a straight shot up towards the drip tip. The air must make contact with either the coil or the airflow coming in from the opposite side of the RDA in order to change direction.

With this RDA it's a tough call, I'd have to have it in my hands. The airflow on this one seems to be off-centre. That's not a bad thing, but it does generally mean you have to put more thought into the build and wicking than I like. If the price ever drops around $15 I'll buy one and get back to you :)
#12 (permalink)      3/2/2020 10:14:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
An antique top air Aeolus rda V1 is a simple experiment. It was wildly popular and for good reason imo. Air comes in on the side of the top cap and turns straight down into the chamber. Put the coil(s) directly under the top cap and the flavour is fantastic, never bettered for me. Move the coil(s) down in half millimetre increments and note the flavour decrease until only 2 or 3 mil and it's crap. Going in the opposite direction and moving it up into the flavour is even more noticeable.

On the Aeolus the air stream is coming in the top cap and hugging it on its way out the drip tip. This doesn't even have a top cap to hug. That's why I'm lost at the start of those ramps. They defy logic and experience.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#13 (permalink)      3/2/2020 10:25:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
$1.21 rebate earned
My old Aeolus pics

If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#14 (permalink)      3/2/2020 10:28:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
This was a fasttech Frankenstein design. Velocity deck and glass from I forget what.

#15 (permalink)      3/2/2020 10:51:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
If this airflow works as envisioned it can only work at a very specific draw speed. Anything below optimum draw speed and the air never reaches the base of the coil. The lower the draw speed below optimum draw speed the further up inside the chamber it turns away from the coil and out the drip tip.

Any higher than optimum draw speed and what? It creates erratic turbulence below the coil?

Edited on 3/2/2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason:
#16 (permalink)      3/2/2020 11:50:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5214
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos3733
+1 details
Honestly I am just happy to see a topic that is not coronavirus.

There have been some bad top airflow designs, the vector top AF RDA with it's open airflow directly above the top. Even the Aeolus, some reviewers built it wrong and hated it, but it didn't come with instructions it was trial and error that lead to it being so amazing. All airflow feelings aside, I am waiting to get this one when the price drops like it always does, I think it will be a decent one. I think the side piped airflow should function fine provided you draw with enough force. I think force will overcome whatever the theory is on how it will move directly up towards the drip tip.
#17 (permalink)      3/2/2020 12:37:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
sorry wrong thread

Edited on 3/2/2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason:
#18 (permalink)      3/2/2020 8:27:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2327
  • Reviews 261
  • Kudos1201
I guess all rdas should be built the same, since all the air does is go in and straight up to the drip tip. Your idea is logical, but technically incorrect overall. See geekvape loop rda for crazy airflow nonsense that somehow works.

Also....
Where is me order? I don't drink Corona anyway!!!

Sorry.
Insert idiotic mantra here.
#19 (permalink)      3/2/2020 10:29:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
sushi6
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 2921
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos2260
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

See geekvape loop rda for crazy airflow nonsense that somehow works.

internal airflow works roughly the same as aeolus/sapor v1 just not as good.

gph61 posts the secret sacred texts of vaping for flavour. He did withhold the section of wick stuffing and immersion which is revealed only in image.

I stopped buying new gear for years because my faith was rewarded with true flavour after years of searching.

This image should be revered and studied by all future generations of vapers.

All my mixes had to have flavour percentage reduced by at least 50% because it's too intense.

Most RDAs can be improved to a point with wick stuffing except asMODus x Thesis Barrageus looks like a dud to those who found their way to enlightenment.

For those that ignore, you will never know what you are missing. Exactly what those who can't see the truth deserve. Suffer in ignorance.

tl;dr
asMODus x Thesis Barrageus airflow looks like a dud
#20 (permalink)      3/5/2020 11:50:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
xandwhyisY
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 556
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos481
You have to keep in mind that there is multiple kinds of pressure being created within an RDA. There is the pressure created by the heat of the coil, I'll call it latent pressure for the sake of simplicity. Then there is the applied air pressure. I'll just refer to it as applied, again for the sake of simplicity.

When you fire the Aeolus you heat the air surrounding the coil. This air naturally wants to go up, because air is actually heavier than air when heat is applied. At this point the pressure is looking to be released wherever the easiest exit point is, which is probably through the drip tip. If the top cap is hot it could also come out the airflow, but like a fireplace the flue and the chimney have to be warm enough to allow the pressure to escape.

When I haul on the atty things change. I'm now applying cool air pressure but it doesn't change the nature of how hot air and cold air want to travel. The hot air still wants to go up and the cool down. This is why coil placement and wicking are important to the end result.

The cool air being forced in must have a clear shot around the coil. It must be able to enter and release as hot air evenly or else it creates turbulence in the atomizer. The reason the Aeolus functions better with the coil closer to the airflow is because you have more distance below the coil for air to travel. In the case of your pics you can see that the distance between the liquid and top cap to the coil are fairly even. This means that your applied pressure will travel evenly and with less turbulence. The distance from the airflow to the coil is less important than the ability for the air to travel smoothly and equally around the coil. Placing it closer makes that process easier, but it doesn't change the science.

There is a reason people have always sworn that bottom airflow has given the best flavour, it's simple to build and line up the airflow. You don't have to worry about the nature of airflow so long as your coil is centered. Hot air goes up and cool air comes from the bottom with or without applied pressure. Top airflow and vertical coils are a different beast altogether.

Thanks for this conversation, it's nice to actually have vaping dialogue :) I had the Aeolus in mind too as it's probably the earliest example I can think of an atomizer that's great but easy to fuck up.
#21 (permalink)      3/5/2020 2:38:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
This is filled as much as possible, to vape it you have to hold it at the correct angle.

There's no difference in airflow than when it's empty though. The distance from the coil to what's below it doesn't appear to be relevant beyond the depth of the liquid in this pic. Having some air space under the coil is certainly relevant, I'm guessing to give the full circumference of the coil room to expel vapour. I think the Aeolus coil is feeding straight up and the total accumulation at the top is getting stripped away by a horizontal jet stream hugging the cap on its way out the drip tip.

If the Aeolus coil placement must be as close as possible to the top cap for great flavour and this air ramp system works as intended there must be an optimum airspeed below which the flavour drops off a cliff. Maybe even causing noticeable turbulence as it hits square on the side of the coil or when it deflects off the top with just a fraction less air speed than that. That doesn't add up. I think what's happening here is the ramps do nothing and the rda passively produces average flavour because in the end the vapour has nowhere else to go.

Edited on 3/5/2020 at 2:40 PM. Reason: