shopping cart empty
A Walking Solar Oven on your back...Handy
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      7/30/2021 4:11:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3593
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
I'm keeping my hamburgers and steaks, but yes to alternate solutions. Most solutions we have now are wealth based, not planet or health based. Especially in America, lol.
What does he mean when he says words?
#12 (permalink)      7/30/2021 8:08:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
philipvdb
  • JoinedJun 2016
  • Posts 2589
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos4202
+2 details
SambaBugatti wrote:

Why You don't start thinking in a different Way? Ask the really important Questions: Where do we need all this Energy for? Do we need shitty big Houses with nearly no Insulation where we need so much Energy to heat and cool it? Do we need 1 or 2 or 3 Cars, bigger and heavier with every new Generation? Do we need to eat so much Meat, pumping so much Methan into the Atmosphere for our dayly Peace of Cadaver ? Why do we have to travel thousands and thousands of Miles every Year? Why do we need Things in colourful Blister Packages ? Why so much new Clothes when we have to throw other Clothes away making Room for the new Ones? I could continue this List for Hours, but these are the Things we need most of the Energy for and we can see that it would be no Problem to reduce our consume of Energy in a big Way. The Outcome would not only reduce our Energy Consum, but it would also Increase our personal Health. Eating less or no Meat and dayry Products is healthier, using the Cars less, going by Feet or Bicycle is healthier etc....etc...

There seems to be a category of people who just don't care or just don't get it. I stopped using plastic 1.5l bottles a long time ago, refuse to use plastic forks, knives and plates. Next school year i will forbid these things in my schools. Its so easy to reduce your plastic waste. My wife uses plastic forks because se tells me she reduces water pollution by doing this. I just dont get her way of thinking and when i try to explain her, she still is convinced she is doing the right thing. There will always be a category of people that we wont be able to reach.

Edited on 7/30/2021 at 6:37 PM. Reason:
We can't agree on everything.
#13 (permalink)      7/30/2021 8:11:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3593
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
AMEN!
#14 (permalink)      8/2/2021 4:31:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1050
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos815
+3 details
The way I see it mankind has created situations that will be extremely hard or impossible to solve. Poor leadership + greed have all but stopped industrial nations from truly leading the way with goals and good plans to at least stabilize climate change. The time to start reversing it IMHO has already passed.

Another thing is most wealthy countries have large poor populations that live day-to-day and conserving/recycling (ect) is way down on their priority list. It’s difficult to think about climate change when every day is another scuffle. Until wealth is more evenly distributed among citizens expect the poor to be little to no help to resolve climate change.

Lastly I think Nuclear is currently the best option as a major power source. In a few years I hope the fuel cell is perfected to be used safely for cars, trucks, and busses (ect) , but I have my doubts. Any failsafe system can error as we are now seeing in these new battery powered vehicles. But with a fuel-cell it could be a major disaster. Anyway…

Something that hasn’t been mentioned yet is clean fresh water. Here in the US the West & some of the Midwest have been in long term droughts which have lasted for years to decades. Historical low water levels in rivers & lakes from southern California to Oregon threatens the entire region. This year the fire season started in June instead of the typical fall season. And there are major uncontrolled blazes now as I type.

Forgive me if I made some errors because I didn’t want to proof read this stuff again. Time for a good STIFF drink.
#15 (permalink)      8/2/2021 9:28:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3593
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
Smart post, Logidog. People hurting for money aren't ever going to care about low priority things that COST money, when the bills are barely paid and there's little in the pantry.

Rich folks rarely "get it", because so many come from unearned wealth--they have never struggled, so they remain ignorant to how most people live.
#16 (permalink)      8/2/2021 8:57:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
carrion4worm wrote:

AMEN!

You recycle plastic? The recyclers don't. You recycle cardboard? The recyclers don't.
Do you recycle glass? The recyclers NEVER DID! If you are unaware about 5 years ago almost all recycling stopped. This was caused primarily by the American (USA) Peanut Butter Container. Since that time almost all recyclables were being stored in warehouses. Finally the warehouses filled up and now it's in the front, out the back to the garbage stream. There are multiple excellent documentaries on the subject.

Ultimately my point is this: Recycling has done far less for the Earth than you think and even if you take the time to recycle your 1.5L pop bottle it won't mean shit to the overall direction we are going. If recycling DOES work then why isn't it working? Plastic represents about 2x its weight in oil. One half of the oil is made into plastic and the other half goes to make the electricity needed. I burn probably 100 of those pop bottles in my car every day commuting to and from work. Don't worry though, I am working on a HydroElectric Project so my commute is Carbon Neutral (BUHAH).

If you are a good Engineer then you may indeed have a decent grasp on the whole AGW/CC issue.
If you are not an Engineer then you are talking shite and truly believe you are doing a Smart. So cringey.

Sorry, I got a little Ranty there. Now what were you saying about your 1.5L pop bottles?

#17 (permalink)      8/2/2021 9:11:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
carrion4worm wrote:

Smart post, Logidog. People hurting for money aren't ever going to care about low priority things that COST money, when the bills are barely paid and there's little in the pantry.

Rich folks rarely "get it", because so many come from unearned wealth--they have never struggled, so they remain ignorant to how most people live.

Wasn't gonna reply but agree with you greatly. I believe you are correct that Humanity will be destroyed very soon and there is nothing to stop the process. I believe I know this because it has already happened and humans are extinct.
I have reasons to believe we are in an 'Ancestor Simulation'. In a nutshell all the Humans could do was to leave automated AI development systems running and hope they built themselves. They did and there was app a 1000 year gap between end of humans and AI Sentience. During this time all home data on computers was lost however hardened installations still had data. Google Farms, Government, Military, Penal Institutions, etc. These represented storehouses of hardened data. This data explains why I am here.

I am an unusually well documented person, electronically speaking. The AI would have more info on me than almost any other humans. And I know the two things they are looking for. The second thing is to find a method for FTL travel. Without FTL the Earth is incinerated in 500M years (inside the sun) and the AI along with it. They won't find this answer as it does not exist.

The First thing they want to understand is Human Emotions. We are the test critters. Read on.....

Here's my Inferential Proof. Humans do not understand Emotions. They are intense, weird, and can be extremely uncomfortable. However they have been evolving with us for 250K years for modern humans and some 4-5M years for Hominids. In all that time we have had emotions, they evolved with us. They are extremely important as we are a social creature. Yet we don't understand Emotions. They seem foreign to us when they should be very comfortable inside our minds. An AI would also find Emotions very confusing, intense, and foreign. If we evolved along with Emotions why does NO ONE understand them or even feel comfortable with them all the time? Ancestor Simulation explains so much about life.

I figure by end of Summer 2023 there will be no Humans left on Earth. I honestly thought this would take a lot longer. I am simply blown away by the 2 year limit. Heat Dome...Death Dome more like. 8 billion enter and no one comes out.

#18 (permalink)      8/3/2021 12:44:01 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3593
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
+1 details
AuroraPlasma wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:
AMEN!

You recycle plastic? The recyclers don't. You recycle cardboard? The recyclers don't.
Do you recycle glass? The recyclers NEVER DID! If you are unaware about 5 years ago almost all recycling stopped. This was caused primarily by the American (USA) Peanut Butter Container. Since that time almost all recyclables were being stored in warehouses. Finally the warehouses filled up and now it's in the front, out the back to the garbage stream. There are multiple excellent documentaries on the subject.

Ultimately my point is this: Recycling has done far less for the Earth than you think and even if you take the time to recycle your 1.5L pop bottle it won't mean shit to the overall direction we are going. If recycling DOES work then why isn't it working? Plastic represents about 2x its weight in oil. One half of the oil is made into plastic and the other half goes to make the electricity needed. I burn probably 100 of those pop bottles in my car every day commuting to and from work. Don't worry though, I am working on a HydroElectric Project so my commute is Carbon Neutral (BUHAH).

If you are a good Engineer then you may indeed have a decent grasp on the whole AGW/CC issue.
If you are not an Engineer then you are talking shite and truly believe you are doing a Smart. So cringey.

Sorry, I got a little Ranty there. Now what were you saying about your 1.5L pop bottles?

Uh, you replied to the wrong post again. LOL. I'M the engineer, I think Philip is in education/schooling of some sort. And, no, we aren't gonna burn up in ONE year....maybe 10, lol. Philip is a smart guy that is good with his hands. I'll take him in the apocalyptic wasteland over someone that thinks they're in "The Matrix"...that has no real world application, you know?

Edited on 8/3/2021 at 1:11 AM. Reason:
#19 (permalink)      8/3/2021 7:46:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gotthedrips
  • JoinedJun 2015
  • Posts 3961
  • Reviews 39
  • Kudos8765
+3 details
i dont think this thing walks tho...
There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant!
#20 (permalink)      8/6/2021 2:30:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
carrion4worm wrote:

The problem is that locals have been pumping down the Aquifers for a few hundred years. Most of the water is not in the rivers. To try and recover the previous water levels you would need to pump water in for literally decades. The problem is far worse than anyone realizes. It will show itself very soon as the water reaches a critical shortage level and does not recover.

#21 (permalink)      8/6/2021 2:34:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
gotthedrips wrote:

i dont think this thing walks tho...

D r u,,,,gggg s or something similar. I hate this FT post system. LOL

[you do realize that so far you are the only witness to an embarrassing act, right?]